/dist/images/branding/favicon

Issues with C8 HL and WKM

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Mike Reid, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

Hey Guys,

I've read through nearly all of the C6, C8 and C misc forums to see if my question has already been answered somewhere without luck.

These threads were most relevant, but don't seem to solve my problems.

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...-wookong-m-flips-and-crashes-on-takeoff.1172/
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...-m-setup-flipped-after-1-5-minute-flgiht.317/

I am having the same problem where my C8 immediately leans over to booms 1 and 2 when I attempt to take off.

I have AXi 4120/20's w/ xoar 15x5 props. I've triple checked the rotation of all motors now and have 1, 3, 5, 7 spinning counter clock, 2, 4, 6, 8 spinning clockwise. All motors/props are definitely pushing air downwards. The # 2 motor is to the left of number 1 as per the diagram in the WM Assistant Application.

I have a FF motor control being used with the WKM flight controller. The compass is mounted on the #1 boom and the IMU just off centre facing to the left. Both have their offset information plugged into the WK software.

One very strange thing (to me anyway) is that in order to get the proper rotation on the motors I have had to reverse my + and - for every single motor when the motor into the motor control.

For operating the copter I have a MX-20 with a GR-16 PPM.

Thanks for any help that you can offer!

Mike Reid

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike there are a few WKM folks on the forum but you might also want to post your question over at multirotorforums which has a large number of folks running WKM.

Not sure I understand the note about reversing the + and -. On both the MK and Hoverfly, in a flat octo, rotation is controlled by every other motor having two of the 3 motor wires swapped. Off of the speed controller you have wires 1,2,3. CW motors might be 1-1, 2-2, 3-3. CCW would be 1-1, 2-3, 3-2.

Usually the flip situation is from props/motors going the wrong way or the wrong copter set being selected on the flight controller and on an X the wrong mixer setup. Sounds like you have checked all of those but never hurts to go through it again.

3. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

I reread both of the threads that I posted and I caught what I found to be my error. I had the control scheme on the MX-20 set up as a copter rather than an aircraft. After making that adjustment, I was able to take off without any issues and had issue free flight in GPS/atti, atti and manual modes.

Gary, when you say wires 1, 2, 3, do you mean 1 as the controller, then 2 and 3 as red/black (positive and negative)?

What I meant by reversing every single motor, I have every single motor wired into the FF motor control with the red motor cable going into black on the FF and the black motor cable going into red on the FF. If I change them all to normal configuration (red to red, black to black) I have 1, 3, 5, 7 spinning in CW and 2, 4, 6, 8 spinning in CCW.

It's working how I have it, just a little bit confusing about that wiring. I'm sure that I will figure it out after a bit more testing.

Thanks!

Mike

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Mike take some pictures and upload them. Think I am a bit lost since the motor set I have has only 3 black leads for the motors, a red & black for power and the servo connector.

5. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

Hey Gary, I am just out on the east coast until Tuesday. As soon as I get home I will post a few pics to illustrate and help us figure out what I'm saying!

6. ebad mohammadpoor

ebad mohammadpoor New Member

hi mike how u matched ff control with wkm?

7. ebad mohammadpoor

mike try to face forward your imu and if you placed it off center give all fields 0 number.

8. ebad mohammadpoor

on wkm update 5.24 there is a new option motor test update your version and use this function im sure that it will help you bro

9. hugo burns

hugo burns Member

Hey i had the same problem,
    I had the motors that plug into the gimbal ports jumbled up.Also i needed to up the motor idle speed but you might not considering your using different motors.Hope this helps.

Hugo

10. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

Hey Gary,

Here are a couple pics finally. 1st one is the FF motor control bullet connectors (red, blue, black) the other is the wires coming off of the AXI 4120/20's (red, yellow, black) When I put bullet connectors onto the ends of the motor cables I used blue heatshrink on the yellow just to match with the FF leads.

My whole setup is working great now other than the yaw giving a jolt of throttle even with small input, but I am going to try the WKM Octo X setup today on the advice of Chris Newman.

The thing that I found odd about my setup with the WKM and FF MC is that my counter clock motors are wired normally, (red to red, black to black and blue to blue) My clockwise motors needed to be reversed for the positive and ground cables.

Just for anyone that is making a WKM + cinestar setup, the only problem that was actually causing my copter to lean over at takeoff was that I had my MX-20 setup as a helicopter rather than a fixed wing aircraft. Once I made that adjustment everything has worked great since. image.jpeg photo.JPG

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Hugo that is normal on needing to swap two of the three connectors. Doesn't even matter which ones you swap as long as you are consistent.