/dist/images/branding/favicon

RADIAN Tilt Problem

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Andrew-Crinson, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Andrew-Crinson

Hi Everyone.

My Tilt radian has developed an issue. The Setup is a CS3 3 axis RADIAN configuration with Spektrum RC.

With the system sitting on the bench in slew mode with the camera tilted forward (also occurs in flight), with no RC stick input and left on its own, typically around or shortly after 4 minutes the camera will recenter itself. At the point that this occurs the amber light on the tilt RADIAN goes out and then comes back on when the camera is centred again. If tilt is given by RC stick, the point at which the camera centres is the slew % linked with the stick deflection at the point of the amber light going out. e.g. If the camera was tilted a 90' vertical, the slew percentage would read -99% consequently trying the raise the camera back to level will not work as full opposite deflection of the stick results in only achieving zero % slew at full opposite stick deflection.

It is important to note that all radians have been re-flashed to the most current valid firmware 1.03(41-99). We have also replaced all the radians, changed resistors, and fully configured to an SBUS futaba radio system instead of the Spektrum system. In every configuration the problem remains exactly the same.

See video

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andrew maybe Andy has run into this or John C can comment but I seem to remember a post some time ago that if the radians simply set with no movement the will tend to start wandering and ultimately go back to zero. Doesn't happen in flight since there is constant movement. At least this is what I remember. But since you say it happens in flight we'll see what the other experts say.

Can you post a screen shot of your tilt config from the Radian config software?

3. Andrew-Crinson

Hi Gary thanks for your comments. It sure does do it in flight as well. You could almost set your clock to it its that regular. Settings on the tilt RADIAN are as follows:-

Slew =2
    Mode =6
    Aux = off
    Servo puls rate 400Hz
    Type = 1520us
    Deadband = 10%
    Gain =80%
    Slew Max Rate 60

No check boxes set.

RADIAN is Tilt-1

Hope this helps

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Not that it will make much difference but the values in the Min/Max/Fixed Pos boxes and Angle Trim?

Anything else hooked up to that radian other than the feed from the roll and the servo? If so what does it do if you remove the other items?

5. Chris J Ayres

Chris J Ayres Member

From memory the settings are zero apart from mac which is 90. Nothing else plugged in.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Chris in your video I see three connections to the Tilt Radian. One appears to run to a possible LED trigger on the camera lens. That was the reason for the question.

Only other thing while waiting for Andy or John to chime in is to swap the tilt Radian with one of your other other Radians.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry to come to the dialog late, but it sounds like swapping the tilt Radian would be the next logical move. If that fixes the fault, then you'll need to talk to your dealer, Chris. Sorry about that.

Andy.

8. Chris J Ayres

Chris J Ayres Member

Chaps

You are right there is a trigger on the tilt radian in that video. The reason I said there was not is that we tested it without it in and had the same result, we just did not video it then. Also as stated we changed all the radians for new ones with the same issue.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. If the issue did not go away despite new Radians, then it sounds like you might have an electrical noise issue.

Might it be possible for you to copy and past the questionnaire from this thread: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/radian-issue-please-read-this-first.744/ into a new message and fill in the answers so we can see your configuration.

Of particular interest is how you're providing power to the the servos and the radians.

Thanks
    Andy

10. Chris J Ayres

Chris J Ayres Member

Andy,

We tried two ubecs sited in different places, it is not a pwer noise issue. Sorry but Andrew and I were very thorough.

11. Andrew-Crinson

Aircraft Type: SKYJIB 8
    Gimbal Type: CS3
    Radian Type: 3 axis
    Gimbal Power source: Tunnigy UBEC 7amp 5v with ferrite ring (3s lipo)
    Gimbal Radio Type: spektrum
    Radian Communication Protocol: Spektrum (also tried with s-bus)

Connections:
    Pan Sensor:
    Port
    1. UBEC 5v supply
    3. To Roll sensor
    4. To Pan Servo

Roll Sensor:
    Port
    1. From Pan Radian
    3. To tilt radian
    4. Roll servo

Tilt Sensor:
    Port
    1. From roll radian
    4. Tilt Servo

Symptoms: un commanded tilt movement.

Steps taken to resolve: Changed all radians for new but same firmware. (1.03 41-99) Replaced RC with Futaba S-bus, Replaced and relocated UBEC. Swapped out servo resistors.

Results: same problem

12. Andrew-Crinson

Just to clarify my opening statement "My tilt Radian has developed an issue" is incorrect. As after reviewing a few initial in flight test videos taken at the early commissioning stage, the un commanded tilt movement is present but went unnoticed by the new camera operator. So this fault has not developed during use.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Andrew:
    Thanks for the information.
    I infer that you're connecting the Spektrum to one of the small ports on the "underside" of a Radian.

Could you try providing power from the UBEC to port 2 of the Pan Sensor (or let me know if you've already tried it).

Thanks
    Andy.

14. Andrew-Crinson

Hi Andy thanks for this. I didn't know you could put power into port 2. I will give it a go. And yes the Spektrum satellite receiver is plugged into the PAN Radian.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It's worth a try. I seem to recall some noise on the RC signal input issues if Port 1 was used for the power supply.
    On the Radian, the +5v and ground pins on the ports are all ganged together.

Andy.

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Also what voltage do you have going to the Spektrum/Pan Radian for power?

17. Andrew-Crinson

Hi Gary thanks for your question, its running at 5v

18. Chris J Ayres

Chris J Ayres Member

Plugging power on the PAN radian on port 2 makes no difference at all.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Let me see if I can get JohnC, the Radian designer, to read this thread and comment.
    Andy

20. Andrew-Crinson