/dist/images/branding/favicon

FPV with goggles or monitor

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Tyler Olson, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

Do you find flying FPV (and framing the shot in camera) with goggles or a monitor better?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I fly a one-man rig (2-axis gimbal with no camera op) and I've tried both. I much prefer the Zeiss Cinemizer goggles because I can wear them on my nose so I can see over them. The separate LCD display doesn't work for me because the sudden change in focus makes my eyes fatigue very quickly. But if you have a separate camera op, it's all different.

3. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

Thanks. Usefull info. Perhaps I should just give them a try and see how they work.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree with Steve -- the Cinemizer's work best as you can adjust each eye's focal point independently and you can even where them with corrective eye-glasses. I wouldn't be without them -- so much so that I have a prime and backup pair. Night and day difference between looking at a monitor as they really allow your brain to be "in the copter," but you can easily revert back to visual. I wear a pretty wide brimmed hat to improve the visibility of the goggles even in the brightest of high desert sunlight.

I'm even thinking of getting them for my camera op.

Andy.

5. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

This is what i use since I do single man operation as well. I do have some fatsharks for when i do regular FPV flying or if i do a dual man operation.

Attached Files:

6. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Cinemizers for pilot'sFPV (SOSD) -- Andy you recommend? You seem pretty excited about your cinemizers (not on this thread but all over the forums :p

I'm using a monitor right now.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Cinemizer's rock.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

They're the way to go -- the FatSharks and others I've tried will not work with corrective eyeglasses. But as Mr. Haynes so succinctly puts it, the Cinemizer's rock. They really do.

You know you want them.... :)

I use a video splitter so that I'm simultaneously driving a monitor so that if the Cinemizer's or their cabling fail (for which read "pilot steps on video cable") then I can quickly cut over to using the monitor.

Andy.

9. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

When I dont need to move around for a shoot i have a tripod i bring and that has a eagle eyes diversity so i can have 4 different screens running if need to. Usually what ill do is have the "director" looking through goggles and i watch my screen. that way he can see exactly what im filming and can make adjustments as need be.

Attached Files:

Steve Maller likes this.
  10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Paul what type of Patch antenna and TX/RX setup are you using?

11. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

All my FPV gear is from ReadymadeRC, they have some of the higher quality gear and a GREAT service program.
    The Tx is a RMRC 1watt 1.3GHz with IBcrazy MadMushroom antenna
    one Rx is a RMRC 1.3 with saw filter
    Second Rx is a Lawmate 1.3GHz
    The Patch antenna is 8DBi 1280 optimized antenna
    The omni antenna is a IBcrazy Fan, 5 lobe, antenna

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yes ReadymadeRC has some great products. I have the same monitor and it is pretty good outdoors.

13. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

I have the Readymade RC 8" and 10" Monitor. I don't recommend the 10" because the quality of image on the screen isn't as sharp as their 8".

14. Juha Knaapi

Juha Knaapi New Member

I run 8" displays on SeCraft radio trays, I like to keep them small and mobile. Same rig, whether we're operating from a moving car or on foot.