/dist/images/branding/favicon

One more pound?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Carlos Chiossone, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Carlos Chiossone

Carlos Chiossone New Member

You guys increased the M10 for a higher payload. Selling to the Black Magic market would be ideal, but if we buy a camera for $4K, we don't want a rig for it that is $15K.

Would it be too hard to have the M5 support 1-2 lbs more? This would make it ideal for DSLR and BMCC.

And, can you please move my name to the top of the waiting list? :)

Great work guys!

Tristan Guercovich likes this.
  2. Juha Knaapi

Juha Knaapi New Member

Knowing build quality of these things and with good balancing. Pushing some extra weight seems possible.

Juha

3. Mike Vickers

Mike Vickers New Member

I'm with Carlos! Is it possible to make the M5 capable of 1-2 lbs more then the stated 5 lb limit? My camera setup will be very close to the 5 lb limit and I would like to add a follow focus too. I currently own a Steadicam Pilot HDSDI which holds up to 9 lbs but considering letting it go for an M5!

4. Anton Ligaarden

Anton Ligaarden New Member

DEFY just posted a video that showed a G5 (meant to hold 5 pounds) with a 1DC and cinema lens. They also said it could take RedRock microRemote follow focus. In other words: It's possible for the DEFY to hold over 6 pounds. I doubt it is as high-end as the M5, though. But we won't know until february, or whenever the M5 gets shipped.

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Those of us who are waiting for our M5s probably do not want to wait another few months for the M5 to be re-engineered. Product development is a tricky thing, for those who have done it before...especially with hardware. It's quite foolhardy to arbitrarily push the specs towards the end of the development cycle (I hope they're at the end of the development cycle!).

If Freefly have seen fit to price the M10 at 3x the M5, there must be a significant incremental cost to every additional pound of payload, right?

That said, all indications are that the Freefly engineers are a conservative lot, and there might be a little headroom.

Josh Rottman likes this.
  6. Ryan Best

Ryan Best New Member

Hi Guys,

I noticed that the BLACKMAGIC CINEMA CAMERA was listed for use with the M10, is this due to tray size, as my BMCC + SLR MAGIC 12mm HYPERPRIME combo falls under the 5lb limit for the M5?

Regards

Ryan Best

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ryan there was a post elsewhere that the M5 may have smaller dimensions but nothing is finalized. Tray size with the BMCC due to where the cables exit seems to be the primary challenge.

8. Philip Aarseth

Hey,

I'm also very interested in this and since we're closing in on shipping for the M5 I thought I'd ask if there's any news on this?

Of course we realise there has to be a set limit to what you guys support and can confirm that work up to your high standards.

9. Juha Knaapi

Juha Knaapi New Member

Given that M5 uses same parts, only with shorter CF-booms and taking account smaller payload M5 will be more rigid than M10.
    Only thing to see how much FF has limited motors / electronics to justify $10K difference in price.

10. Philip Aarseth

So there should be a fair chance that it will be possible to push the 5 lbs ?

11. Carlos Chiossone

Philip what camera do you want to use? I was planning on my 5dMK3 but actually just got a BlackMagic pocket which looks much nicer and weight and size are now not an issue.

12. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I might mention a significant disadvantage the BMPCC has compared to the 5DM3, and that's the issue of good ultra wide angle glass. The sensor crop factor means that getting the equivalent of 20mm or less on the BMPCC is a serious challenge, whereas very good Canon (and Nikon FF) ultra wide glass is easier to come by.

13. Philip Aarseth

I'm using my 5D Mark III, calculated together with the 24-105mm as a quite average weighing lens, not counting anything cinema or telephoto of course.
    The BMPCC is of course appealing, but I've fallen in love with the versatility and the full frame sensor size of the 5D, so that will be my main camera.

All in all (calculations below) it should come out to 4.38 lbs or 1991g, which is well inside the M5s limit. It would be really interesting for instance if we could use the 70-200 2.8 along with the 5D, but that would count out to 6.2 lbs / 2811g. That’s why I’m wondering if the M5 would handle more weight.
    With some help from this thread:
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/movi-videolink-and-remote-follow-focus-options.2791/
    I found that
    5D M3 body: 1.89 lbs / 860g
    24-105mm: 1.47 lbs / 670g

Camera total: 3.36 lbs / 1530g

microShoeClamp 4.79 oz / 136g
    • Single 6” Rail 1 oz / 28g
    • Torque Motor 5.75 oz / 163g
    • Motor Cable 2 3/8 oz / 67g
    • microLensGear 1 oz / 28g
    • total: 14.32 - 14.88 oz / 0.93 lbs / 406g - 422g
    Also Paralinx Arrow Plus transmitter: 39g

I tried to find more exact measurements online, but a lot of the different components from red rock either have no individual spec sheet or have no mention of weight. Also I'm confused because Daniel (from the thread) didn't mention of any power source for the base station which I thought it needed?

14. Mike Vickers

Mike Vickers New Member

@Philip - That is exactly the same setup I plan on building! I went with a cheaper HDMI transmitter / receiver for now which is rated to 160 feet uncompressed. I'm trying to hold out to see if Redrock actually comes out with their microRemote for iOS.

What I'd like to know is if the battery grip attached to the 5Dmk3 will work with the M5 or if it will be too tall or weigh too much?

15. Carlos Chiossone

@Steve, I agree with you on the wide, but glass comes in many flavors. I am using a 17mm as my widest right now and truthfully is wonderful. If I need something wider will be an exception and can use the 5DMk3 for that. But I do agree with your opinion.

@Phillip while I love the 70-200 2.8 is not a lens I would ever use on a rig like this, just too many issues. Rather use the 50mm 1.2, 85mm 1.2 and jump to the 200mm 2.8 from there. The 85mm being the heaviest and possibly hardest to use on the Movi. Now, this is all just speculation as have not played with the M5 yet. I have rented the M10 a couple of times and even then used the mentioned glass. Now I am trying to test new glass that is prime from other manufacturers to see what would be best.

Hope after we get our units we still share thoughts and experience with it, would love to hear from others what works and does not for them.

c

16. Sverker Hahn

Sverker Hahn New Member

I really want a Movi 5. I have a Sony EX1 weighing 5,7 US pounds. That is over the announced 5 pounds. What do you think of this overload, is it still possible?

If not I will buy a DSLR that the Movi 5 could carry. The M10 is right now out of my budget, unfortunately ...

Sverker

17. Sverker,
    It is not just weight that is a factor. I have mentioned this before in several other posts, so I apologize if anyone has seen it before. Even if a camera weighs 1 pound, the size and shape would also be a factor, not only for the MoVI but also other production equipment that makes use of modular systems/.The SONY EX1 is designed more as a ENG type camera and is not modular as a RED or Canon C-series camera body. The top handle, eye piece, mic, and especially it having a fixed lens, etc., would limit your option with that camera.
    Hope this helps.
    Best regards,
    Chris

18. Sverker Hahn

Sverker Hahn New Member

I completely get it. Even with the M10 my EX1 would not be the best camera.
    So either a Red on M10 or a DSLR on M5.
    I just have to do the maths to find out which setup is the cheapest. :)