/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

For DSLR camera's with the now available motors/controllers you can forget a direct drive system on the pan axel, even with two 5208 it will not hold, handheld ok but when there is wind involved forget it.

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Not correct! There's a trick you've all overlooked. I'll hold back for a bit until one of you figures it out. Can't make things easy all the time, especially for the folks that want instant results without learning anything. The fun will be figuring it out!

3. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Howard if you know a proven solution please share it, we all do ;)

The 5208 are strong enough but the simple thing is when you want to use the full potential power the motors will go buzzing and you get jello, don't know if we need a software update to handle bigger motors or other motors, maybe a complete new approach with sensor motors.

4. Sean Haverstock

Well, it depends if were talking handheld or for the multi.

On the handheld, I have been getting results that are pretty good with one 5208. But proper balance is paramount. I don't think a belt drive on pan is the solution for a handheld unit. I don't think the response is quick enough to make it a viable solution. And since weight is less of an issue, we either try doubling up or waiting for the gigantic motors on the horizon. Question is, can AlexMos tame those beasts?

Oh Howard, I've done my time with these damn gimbals. First foray with the handheld tho.. I'm just not as savvy as you! Just a hint, a breadcrumb...

5. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

First test shoot with the brushless pan, password = pan

Katya Nelhams-Wright likes this.
  6. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Looks good Mario, any way of doing a short shot with another camera either on the bird or handheld so we can see the difference of the bird itself moving and the gimbal holding pan position?

7. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Thanks Paul :)

We had also a gopro onboard I am editing it in the picture now ;)

Mario

8. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Mario. Nice test, footage looks rock solid:) I'm sure you've written this already in previous posts but what's your set up? Camera, lens, control board, 2 for 3 axis, power, all that stuff:)
    Kat

9. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Thanks Kat :)

Alexmos on tilt
    Alexmos on roll and pan
    12,5 V on both boards (CC Pro BEC)
    dual 5208 on roll and tilt
    5208 on pan 4:1
    GH2 / 14-140 lens (904 grams)

Mario

10. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Im wondering is that 2 5208 on EACH axis, or just one for each. If your running dual could you take pics and explain how you got them running in sync? Im mostly going to be flying 5D, Blackmagic, and Red and heard that a single can sometime be a strain to keep steady, So having to look at going dual for each axis but not quite sure how to do it.

11. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mario seriously? 10-15kts of wind? If at the opening you went into position hold, it was rock solid, very little movement. Which FC/GPS system?

13. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Gary,

Lots of wind yes, but how much don't know, complete flight was on altitude hold and GPS lock with the YS-X6 FC, there isn't much difference when flying in manual mode ;)

Mario

14. Lauri Hakala

Lauri Hakala Member

15. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mario most windsocks are 'calibrated' at 15kts. There are a few, maybe like at a model flying field, that might be 10kts. Straight out 15kts, half out 8 kts, shredded and gone typhoon, hurricane, tornado. Between the shots of the sock and the trees likely about 12-15kts. Pretty impressive smoothness. Really nice job.

16. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

So it's only preorder?

17. Lauri Hakala

Lauri Hakala Member

Yes preorder at the moment, expected release date is 5th september. I didn't find any alternatives for an all in one 3-axis board so just have to wait.

18. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

19. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Ok I'm sold, that is awesome! The speed at which it corrects is great giving very smooth video. I'm still curiouser about the dual motor setup as I can see now you do mean 2 motors on each axis.

20. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Can anyone help me with my alexmos board. I have two issues.

The first issue is that I turn on the gimbal, and it is fine. I have follow mode enabled on the pan axis, as I pan around (handheld unit) the roll changes probably by 25 degrees. but then if I pan back it will go level again and seems the positions are fixed for wright and wrong so as you pan 360 degrees around it goes level, unlevel level unlevel, level. It has not always done this.

The second issue is that I cant activate the tilt to follow mode, I have the "follow" set to 100% on speed mode, and it wont activate.

Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sam