/dist/images/branding/favicon

Battery for Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo Dual

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Nick Adams, May 15, 2013.

1. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

4x4s5500 is insane. I'm waiting to take the leap to 2 8amps, or 2 10amps. :eek:

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I bet the Iraqi dudes who found your Hummv were cussing a blue streak when they realized their new Hummv didn't have any batteries. I bet Amazon Prime doesn't work over there.

3. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

But it gets me 12-13min flight time with a hex at 11-12lbs. I'm looking at getting the QC 4S10,000 packs to try out. Ill lose 2,000mh but also lose 1.2lbs. My main concern with large packs is if one gets damaged then your out all that power and money. If one of these gets damaged its real quick, and ALOT cheaper to replace.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Zach let me know when you get your temp sensors. Got mine the other day. Left hand channel it works perfect. Warm up the temp sensor and the channel stops charging. On the right hand side I am getting an error message. "Battery Temp Too Low". I've tried multiple sensors, cheap so a I go some spares but continue to get the message. Let me know what you see. Maybe something wrong with my charger.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary: I just got some sensors. To what temperature are you warming up the sensor to get shut down? And are you using a hair dryer or heat gun or something similar (please tell me not an arm pit) to warm the sensor up?

Andy.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Lower the alarm to about 35C and then squeeze it between your fingers. Or get an extension servo connector and put in your arm pit. Are both channels working on your 720i?

7. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Gary - I got mine in and they're working great. I haven't tested the heat-stop yet. But plugged in, they work fine.

I'm set to 35 Celsius as well. It's such a ease of conscience having the 3 dollar sensor prevent a dry-chemical fire in my apartment (;

But seriously though. 3 bucks, what a steal.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I measured (with an IR thermometer) that the palms of my hands were at 32C.
    I set both channels of the Hyperion EOS 720i SuperDuo to Max Cutoff temp of 28C.
    At the start of the test, both temp sensors were 25C (the ambient temperature).

I started a test charge of a QC 10000 mAH battery on the left hand port, and after about a minute, I held the temperature sensor between the palms of my hands. After about 35 seconds, the charging stopped with a message displaying "TEMPERATURE."

The right hand port did the same thing.

BUT: I tried the same thing with the Hyperion set to STORE (not charge). No joy. Neither side shut down even though in one case it was charging with a peak of 10Amps, and on the right hand side discharging at 5.00 Amps. This seems to be a major problem because if you discharge a battery by flying it, taking it to storage charge would appear to have the same risks as charging it.

So it appears Hyperion has a major bug in the firmware: the temperature sensors do not work when you are taking a LiPo to storage charge. Can someone else try this same test and verify whether my hypothesis is correct, please?

Thanks
    Andy.

9. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Andy, my results are the same.

I used a heat gun, baked the sensor. No shut off.

BUT: on charge mode it worked perfectly :)

Workaround? -- capacity limit wouldn't help, as MaHs don't directly correlate with cell voltages.

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Maybe the logic is that since you are only going to 60% that it is unlikely that you will over temp? But I checked my one good channel and concur that it does not stop an upwards charge from 50% to 60% storage charge if the temp goes over the temp limit.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hooboy....so now how do we knock on Hyperion's forehead and explain how dangerous this is? If you use the "Max Temp Cutoff" it would seem to me that THAT is precisely what you expect it to be regardless of whether you are charging, storing, or discharging -- "If it hits that temperature, shut off whatever you're doing to make the battery get that hot."

Hyperion is in Hong Kong and based on its web site, does not want to be contacted by anyone. :(

I've emailed to Adam at QC to ask if he has access to any support channels.

Andy.

12. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

I'll try it with a fully charged lipo and heat gun the sensor on storage charge mode. Perhaps the percentage plays a variable in it (though it doesn't make much sense)..

13. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Day one Paracharging

I'm taking a few precautions. I wanted to light up 6 QC1200s at 20 amps on a paraboard, but for starters, lets just go at 5 amps (4C if all that current flew into a single battery).

Also, the temperature sensors are a great stress relief. They dont work with storage charge, but who stores their batteries ;)

I also got the EOS Suite running now! Had an issue before but now it works on my mac (parallels)

First Charge:

4 QC1200s @ 5amps
    2 QC8000s @ 20 amps

Let's light this candle!!

UPDATE: 7 QC1200s, 6 QC8000s in less than 90 minutes

[​IMG]

14. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

This is such a breeze, after a long shoot day to come back and run all your QCs back to storage charge.

[​IMG]

Morgan Friedland likes this.