/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spektrum Rx Setup - More than Seven Channels?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Josh Wilson, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Maxis Gamez

Maxis Gamez Member

Joe, I'm in Sarasota if you want to hang out sometime. Would be cool to film both in flight! ;-)

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Having done some air-to-air copter shooting, I recommend one copter never over-flies the other....the downwash is like a Giant Hand (or the Monty Python "foot from the clouds"), and the lower copter suddenly gets much, much lower....dangerous if you're close to the ground.

Also, for framing/tracking purposes, it's easier if the copter being video'd just hovers and the camera ship moves -- it will create the visual impression of the hovering copter is moving over the ground and make it much easier to shoot.....

That's just my $0.02 worth....

I'll be interested to hear of other people's experiences shooting air-to-air.

Andy.

3. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Maxis
    Would like to do that sometime however I have not flown in awhile due to personal stuff. She's hanging on the wall as I cogitate her future. I will keep it in mind though!

Thanks for the good tip Andy. Sounds like one of those things one would rather not learn from experience!

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andy is correct on the impression of movement. In Colorado we call it the "Balloon Boy effect". Named after the fiasco/hoax of the boy being inadvertently lifted aloft in a helium flying saucer. As the object drifted with the wind at about 4 kts or so the effect as the Astar helicopter went roaring around him at 120kts was the saucer must be from mars since it is going so fast.

The disappointment amongbthe Roswell/Alien/beam me up/Elvis crowd was a sad sight to see.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah. My son's copter was the "test subject." Height of 40 feet to ground in a few seconds. Fortunately, it was just a Blade mQx, but when the airmass you're flying in suddenly becomes a descending airmass, it will knock even a heavier ship out of the sky just like air bubbles in water makes a ship sink!

Andy.

6. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

you guys are onto something with the limited channels as i had the same situation but with my radians. I couldn't get it use anything higher then channel 6 for turning on/off and tilt, using a JR12X. Brought it to my LHS and the owner suggested trying a larger receiver since i was using a 6 channel one. He opened a 12channel one let me bind my satellite to it and BAM! Worked like a charm. I now have all 12 channels selectable on my Radian, though i only use 7 and 8.
    Maxis, I was in Sarasota last year for the RNC and did a bit of flying there with my Micro. You guys got some good flying spots there, did a small edit and put it up on Youtube, even thoguh i upload an HD file it wont go HD on some computers though. I also did the edit while i was there and didn't have decent software so it is kinda jerky, plus its on a micro i home built with 1/4" aluminum rods, a fiberglass center plate and the whole thing I CA guled together, and just stuck the gopro under it with foam tape. Worked great for crashes, which happened a lot, because the glue snapped and nothing was broke. 5min later after the glue hardened i would be back in the air.