/dist/images/branding/favicon

Lipo to P-Tap

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Thomas Walker, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Thomas Walker

Thomas Walker New Member

Hey Guys,

I'm Looking at powering a small monitor from Lipo's

Any one know of a P-Tap converter or any issues I might have?

Thanks

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Thomas Walker

Thomas Walker New Member

It would be 4 pin XLR for a small marshal monitor or the barrel connector for the small hd. I will be using a converted brush less 3 axis gimbal similar to a MOVI. Im trying to find a way to power my monitor from the Lipo. Would I need to run the power through a regulator to get the right amount of Amps and wattage or would I be ok with a P-tap connector running right from the Lipo?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thomas:
    That would depend on the voltage requirements for the Marshal monitor. If you check the specification for the particular monitor you may find (like the 651STX monitor) it can handle from 7 volts to 20 volts.

In which case you could power it off a 4S Lipo (that is one with four cells in series), the maximum voltage being 16.8 volts.

You should consider getting a LiPo alarm to plug into the balance leads of the LiPo because if you forget, and you over discharge the LiPo below 13 volts, you'll trash the LiPo. (amazon.com and search for lipo voltage checker alarm).

Which LiPo battery and Marshall monitor do you have in mind?
    Andy.

5. Thomas Walker

Thomas Walker New Member

Turnigy nano-tech 4000mah 5S 25~50C Lipo Pack

I was thinking this but a 4s at 16.8 Volts sounds better.

Pretty much I want it to be a mini camera battery. So similar properties as a red brick or v-tec, As I will most likely be using different monitors as I don't intend on supplying one just yet.

I don't know that much about electronics so my main concern is, am I safe to create my own adapter or will I need some kind of regulator?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

A 5S LiPo, when fully charged at 4.2V per cell will output a voltage of 21 volts -- probably outside the range of the Marshall monitor.

You will not need a regulator provided that the LiPo battery's voltage range falls within the Marshal monitor's voltage range.

Because the Lipo battery can deliver a large amount of current, I would be tempted to put an in-line fuse between the battery and the monitor. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-In-line-Fuse-Holder/dp/B0002KR8EE -- the fuse you choose should be twice the amount of current for the monitor. Put it on the positive side of the battery.

Let me know which Marshall monitor you'll be using and I can look up the specifications.

As to whether you are safe to create your own adapter, that's a tough question for me to answer! <grin> But I think I know what you mean...

Andy.