/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tilt control on Slider, Single operator

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Manuel Santos, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Manuel Santos

Manuel Santos New Member

Hi i´m Manuel Santos From Mexico City, i have a Cinestar 8, 2 axis Gimbal, Single Operator and i
    want to operate the tilt of the camera with my right slider on the Tx but i found that the input
    has to be from the center.
    I want to know if it is possible to have my slider at one end meaning Level Camera and at the
    other end 90 degrees of the camera, so when ever the position of my slider is, i will know how
    much tilt i have, example middle of my slider means 45 ° , 1 quarter means 22.5°, full slider
    means 90° ETC,ETC.....

i´m used to move my slider and know the angle of my camera , but with this configuration, when i´m
    flying i will never know the angle of my camera... i´m not using dual operator and sometimes not
    using video assist..

is this possible to set up the way i want?

thanks a lot for your comments...

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Manuel:
    I understand what you mean: you want the tilt control to be positional -- that is to say the position of the tilt access should correspond to the position of the control.

Right now, the controls are directional -- they control the direction in which the camera platform tilts, right?

It is not clear from your post whether you are using the MK Flight Control board for the tilt control or whether you are using Radian sensors, but going from memory I think the MK FC board is positional (I may be wrong on that). But, more to the point, the Radians are only directional -- I've not seen or heard of anyone being able to make them positional.

Tabb: Do you have any data? (Or anyone else?)

Andy.

3. Manuel Santos

Manuel Santos New Member

Hi Andy!
    First thanks for your response, you are correct i want the control to be positional,i´m used to work like that.

I´m Using the DJI Wookong controller and it has Positional on the tilt, but then i cant use the Radian, as i have to connect the servo to the controller..
    Or do you have any other Idea?, i have no data than my experience and i don´t know anyone else...
    i´ll will connect it to the wookong and let you know...

once again Thanks...

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Manuel:
    I'm sorry, I don't have any other data -- but some of the camera guys that I work with would certainly prefer positional tilt control on a non-centering left stick -- I think it probably corresponds more closely to the pan handles on a tripod-mounted camera.

That said, I don't know how do accomplish. Hopefully someone else will and we tell us how?

Andy.

5. Manuel Santos

Manuel Santos New Member

Thanks Andy, really appreciate your response,if i know something else will let you know..

Manuel..

6. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is a way to Y a servo lead from the servo? One goes to the radian the other goes to a receiver? Then if you disable Slew control in the Radian software it will only stabilize but you still have positional control. I've never tried anything like that before so I have no idea it its even possible.

Josh

7. Manuel Santos

Manuel Santos New Member

Hi Josh!, Very Interesting Idea, the thing is that the Tilt control on the Wookong is connected to the pod, so i wonder what will happen if the wookong makes a tilt the radian will want to compensate that?, because nothing is telling the radian the position to stabilize.
    what you think?

8. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

I really prefer "positional" or "proportional" control much over directional/slew for single operator setup. I assigned tilt control to 3 pos switch for now and slowed down adjusting end points, it much easier to use with switch than slider or poti but still quite hard to know what angle camera is at the moment. Switching to "mid" mode returns angle to initial angle which helps a bit though, but still quite hassle. Easily get front boom to footage as i have not found way to adjust upper limit point. I really hope FF team will add proportional control option in future updates.

9. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

10. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

I don't see why proportional adjusting is not possible without potentiometers, i understand boom problem though. But i still think it's possible to add endpoints for tilt angle manual control for example 10 degrees down in upper end and 90 degs down end. It does not need to know frame angle neither need ext pots.

11. Manuel Santos

Manuel Santos New Member

the thing is that with a 3 pos switch you still wont be able to know the angle of the camera, this is why i like positional Tilt, but Not possible with the radian, so i feel i would leave the tilt to the wookong, as i can also control the upper and down limit, and the leave the radian for the roll

12. Manuel Santos

Manuel Santos New Member

Very interesting, thanks to every one for the comments, i will stay tuned to see if there is another idea.......

13. zaxis

zaxis New Member

I think that it is quite easy to implement the 'positional' control of tilt by simply altering the 'Angle trim' parameter. The Radian is inherently looking for horizontal and the input from a joystick demands a shift at a rate proportional to distance moved. If the joystick was to merely alter the 'Angle Trim' parameter it would shift the tilt position X degrees away from horizontal. It needs a simple yes / no from John Cunningham as its practicality.

14. Manuel Santos

Manuel Santos New Member

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well done, Manuel.
    By the way, you can upload images to your posting directly -- as long as they are smaller than 1 megabyte. (Click on the "Upload a File" button that is just to the right of the "Post Reply" button.

There appears to be a second link in your posting, but all I see is two rectangles with a blue question mark in it -- I think the link is broken.

Andy.

16. Manuel Santos

Manuel Santos New Member

Thanks Andy!!

Attached Files: