/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll servo stiff

Discussion in '2 Axis Gimbal' started by Ben Altenes, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Ben Altenes

Ben Altenes New Member

I recently just did a test flight after making the proper adjustments in MK tools. Upon looking at my footage to check the response of the servos on my 2 axis i went into MK tools to attempt adjustments again. Roll wasn't working right when i made adjustments on MK tools. I noticed that my roll servo was harder to rotate (when powered down). Has anyone had this happen? Has my servo gone bad?

Thanks in advance.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Ben:
    Try taking the belt off and make sure that it's not the roll bearing that's causing the problem -- apologies if you already did that.

You could also compare the amount of torque required to turn the rolls servo using the small pulley (no belt) with how hard it is to turn the tilt servo (no belt).

Andy.

3. Ben Altenes

Ben Altenes New Member

I did both to compare and it is the Roll servo that it is super tough. Ordered a new servo and when it is installed I will repost with the verdict.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It's pretty easy to take the FF servo's apart (just two screws) might be worth doing just to see whether there is something obviously munged up in the gear train or the servo motor bearing.
    Andy.

5. Ben Altenes

Ben Altenes New Member

I broke down the servo and found no bad moving gears or bearings. The stiffness is coming from the actual motor (Bottom 3rd pic). New Servo on its way! untitled shoot-001-4.jpg untitled shoot-002.jpg untitled shoot-003.jpg