/dist/images/branding/favicon

Really bad Vibration Issues

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Colin, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Colin

Colin Member

Hi forum members
    If any one has read my previous threads you've have noted the difficult times we've been through. This is the last straw for us I think. We have rebuilt the gimbal several times, balanced the unit as best as possible along with the props and now the vibration is unworkable for video coverage.
    At last we've mounted a gopro camera to get some footage of what is going on.
    Please please can anyone help us sort this mess out. All suggestions will be acted upon

2. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Colin,

What is the bracket you are using to mount the 3x gimbal to the kopter? Have you tried a flight with the Radian disabled?

Greetings,
    Adam

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

This doesn't look like a FreeFly gimbal. And what's the gimbal mounted to the copter with? If you're trying to use Radians with somebody else's gimbal, you may not get it to work. It looks a lot like you've got a plexiglass piece on the mount...is that a quick release? It really looks like your problem is the mounting system transmitting some kind of resonant frequency. You may not get it to work. But I can tell you for sure that the FreeFly parts do this correctly.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin thanks for posting the video. I think I remember saying that you have the quick release from Allied Drones. As Adam suggests it would be great to have a couple of more aerials. Setup exactly the same way, quick short clips.

1. Radian system in Mode 0 - nothing running
    2. Radian system with just the pan running, tilt and roll servo's unplugged.
    3. Just the roll running
    4. Just the tilt running

You are on the right track to isolate the issue. I went through these same steps. Much easier to isolate using a gopro.

Also post a screen shot of your Radian configuration settings.

Looking at the video the thing that I notice, others add commentary, is that it looks like the center hub on the pan is not solid. Almost like it is wobbling on the bearing and shaft.

5. Colin

Colin Member

Guys. This is the echo mount from allied drones. The quality of the mount is first class and certainly surpasses what we had on there originally. What are your views in relation to the copter and its performance. Steady enough ?? Go pro hero 2 on there which doesnt offer the best quality on sensor performance
    As for the mount we have 4 of the number 5 isolators on. Maybe they are to firm generating the bounce. With regard to radian, the effect is the same whether on or off. There is no difference.
    I have now changed the isolators to 8 of the number 2 which offer a softer ride, hopefully.

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

This looks like a resonant vibration perhaps being excited by too high a rate p tuning on the copter and the isolation scheme used by the adapter you are using.

I would try the following:

1. Lower the gain on the helicopter
    2. Change the damping of the gimbal somehow to avoid this resonance (tighter, softer, zipties compressing the isolation) just make changes and see if it gets better or worse.

Tabb

7. Colin

Colin Member

Tabb and others thank you for your input. Well a third day was spent trying to go through the complete system. We ruled out the gimbal very quickly following a complete tightening down on all isolators. So it must be coming from the A/C. Tabb mentioned lowering the gain on the copter, it didnt help so we increased to gain on the pitch, reduced roll and increased yaw. Low and behold we are very close to getting there but not quite. A few more tweaks and we should see all vibration gone, fingers crossed. The copter now flies much much better and smoother I'm told. So to you all, thank you once again. Maybe we can get some nice promo work shot soon.