/dist/images/branding/favicon

Esc settings

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Theakstone, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Chris Theakstone

Chris Theakstone New Member

Hi all , we have just taken delivery of a Cs8 kit including the power distribution board and eight ESC's and a programmer. We are installing it with DJIWKM. question is do these ESC's require calibrating ( assuming they have built in BEC) do we remove the BEC output wire from the servo plug (DJI instructions say to do so)' our dealer thinks not and has no idea what settings are required and wether they need calibrating.

Any advice greatly received

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris I simply plugged them in with the default settings and flew them. Some FC's need the power wire pulled from all of the servo connectors except typically the #1 motor. Others, like my I2C converter don't care as the center pin is not in the circuit on the board except for the number 1 position. Not sure what WKM has but if the dealer say pull the wire I would pull it.

Also depending on the FC again it there may be a calibration process. HF has one, and the I2C converter I have also had a calibration procedure.

3. Chris Theakstone

That is the issue, dealer says leave them in, DJI manual says remove them ( not that impressed with dealer, lots of wrong info and parts supplied)

4. Ben Hall

Ben Hall New Member

totally depends on what esc they are . what kind do you have ? . wkm does need the bec to be disabled so do check the esc first to see if it has a bec . if it has remove the red wire . it is also important to setup the throttle range on each esc to make sure they are all the same . i use y leads . you can do it with 4 y leads all soldered to one plug the way i do it or use 7 y leads no soldering required . either way will work and that way you know you have the same range on all . then i always double checked they started exactly the same time

5. Chris Theakstone

The ESC's are the ones supplied with the FF power distribution board

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Chris I would follow the DJI manual unless someone on the forum using WKM disagrees or has more information. Pretty easy to slide the center pins out, fold them back and put a piece of vinyl tape around them. That way if you need them with a future controller it is easy to put them back into use.

Found this in the online Wookong M manual

· Please make sure you are using the ESCs and motors recommended by the
    manufacturer of your multi rotor first. We recommend you use DJI motors and ESCs.
    WKM output is 400Hz refresh frequency.
    · Connect all ESCs to MC by the motor numbering method introduced in Multi-Rotors
    Supported .
    · If you use 3rd party ESCs, please make sure the ESCs travel midpoint is at 1520us.
    DO NOT use 700us travel midpoint ESC, as it may lead aircraft to fly away or cause
    injury and damage. After connect ESCs, calibrate ESCs one by one through the
    receiver directly before connect them to your MC, Make sure program all of them into
    Governor off, Break off and Normal Start up to get best experience.
    · If you use 3rd party ESCs, please cut the red wire (power wire) of your ESCs , as the
    power from V-SEN on PMU is suitable to most of receivers and other electronic
    devices.
    · If you use extra BEC, please use a servo cable without power wire to connect V-SEN
    to X1. (Not recommend)

7. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

What are the default settings of the ESCs?

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Whatever comes out of the box is standard and the default. Here's a grid I did when I got mine. Simply hooked them up and went through the settings with the programmer.

Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 9.23.15 PM.png

9. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

Im reading through the Naza2 manual and I am not finding anything about removing BEC power from ESCs. Is the Naza different in that way? Am I not finding the right info?

Building:
    CS8
    Naza2
    FF motor control set

10. Sean Haverstock

Well, the question is, do the FF escs have a built in BEC with +5v. It doesn't specify on Quadrocopter but it doesn't say OPTO (no BEC) so I am assuming these have a built in BEC. Is that correct?

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yes they have selectable 5.25 or 6 volts. Default is 5.25.

12. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

It does not appear the programmer can disable the BECs.

I have a friend who has built many WKM heavy lifters, he says he has done it both ways. He said it did not matter. He is a member on the board maybe he could chime in.

Jason Cole to the courtesy phone please.

13. Claude Loyer

Claude Loyer New Member

Bonjour,
    I am asking myself the same question.
    I am building a Y6 with the NAZA and the FreeFly esc.
    I have just made a small test with a simple ohmmeter. All the center connecters on the NAZA are commun.
    I mean they are all connect togetter. So that mean the 5V from the PMU to the NAZA will be face to face with the 5V from the BEC.
    Not shure that is a good thing. I will remove the center wire on the esc and make a test this way.

excuse my English...

14. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

I pulled 5v+ center wire from FF ESCs. Folded them back and wrapped in white e-tape.

Flys great.

IMG_0891.JPG