/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Freak Out

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Chris Newman, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Hmm.... interesting John! I look forward to whatever it is they or you have up their sleeve! Just as long as Synapse comes out soon too! HAHA!

Josh

2. Tommy - KnightDesignDev

Yes, we have also had this issue ...it is Spektrum Rx .
    We hallways had an issue in the "input channel monitor" screen. If the wires are not at lease 4 turns per inch the Radian will see "noise" in the signals.
    I found that if I properly twist the lead wires between - it gave a very clean signal. I will post pictures later.

3. Colin

Colin Member

Im not sure if this is the right thread for this problem but here goes. Today for the first time all was going well, well that was until the pan unit decided to stop working in the middle of an important shoot. It was working a few seconds into the flight as we now hover close by to check everything. What happens now is that when we boot up everything works fine. Now when I change mode the pan will move about 10* in each direction very quickly then stop. I have no control from the radio. It had been working in the flight prior to this.
    Any suggestions would be urgently appreciated as we have a TV shoot planned for WEDNESDAY
    Also what back up do FF offer for these units. We've had nothing but trouble from day 1 but have tried and persisted in the hope that all should work. Cheers

4. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

We were having major pan issues. Turns out it was that the center plate on the gimbal was sagging and so the pan servo was hitting the camera plate iso screws. After loosening the clamps for the leg tubes, bending it back up and re-tightening we have had no more pan freak outs.
    The radian was doing its job by not driving the servo when it was binding. But it did do weird things when turning back on.

Hope this helps.

Edit- the test is if you can spin the copter on the ground without needing to lift it then there is enough clearance.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin, Tim's suggestion is a good one to check. When you say that it moves about 10 inches is the copter sitting on the ground or suspended?

6. Colin

Colin Member

Tim / Gary. The CS gimbal and legs sits on the ground at this stage, I haven't put the copter on the quick release plates. Everything is clear of the servo and free to move. Now, when I power up with mode in the off position everything looks great. However once I switch mode to 'on' the pan plate will start to rotate. ( it should do this anyway as we are not flying) This rotation is not as it should as the plate rotates about 10 degrees to the right, stops and reverses to the left. It will rotate to the right once more another 10 degrees then stop completly. I have no control whatsoever.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Colin, very strange. Have you tried reloading the firmware and configuration? Maybe it somehow got spiked.

8. Colin

Colin Member

Yes one of the first things we did. Made no difference. However ponder this. From the Pan radian we run a cam port. Aux is connected to channel 8 on the DX8. Is it possible that using the cam port may have a bearing on this. Ive turned AUX off and the gimbal runs as it should. !!!??????

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Was it working fine before? Is the cam port on Port 2 of the Radian? Also looking at some of my notes I see that the Aux port is usually used on the Tilt Radian. No mention of it anyplace else.

10. Colin

Colin Member

Gary, there are two leads going into the camport. One from the Pan radian which controls the camera settings and one from the Roll which is the camera trigger. The Pan is via a AUX knob which I turn to alter ISO / F stop (now turned off). So Im just wondering if the change in frequency is having an effect which crashes radian.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Try moving the pan one to the tilt radian.