/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I purchased from them and the thickness of the tilt cage is over 2.6mm and the thickness for the roll cage is over 4mm at 4.3, I can upload photos with the caliber gauge detailing. This stuff isn't going to easily snap in a crash trust me. Everything is GREAT quality and robust...I give it a gigantic thumbs up! Some of here know i'm a stickler for quality ;)

Grayson is a great guy over at brushlessgimbals, very helpful and he's in the US.

Brandon Loeser likes this.
  2. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

I don't think cracking in crash is the main problem with cf parts but flexing when using heavier cameras. At least that was always the problem with Cinestar gimbal which i have now beefed up of weak points. Are those both gimbals only suitable for 5208 motors? I haven't tried them but really like the 4114:s. Is the offthewater place only offering whole set for USD2500, not selling parts separately?

3. michel pet

michel pet New Member

i have the 4114 motors but i have problems with the pid settings pid is very low and power also low and a little more and the shake like hell..

i think it has somthing to do with the 22/24 instead of 12/14 ankers.

4. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

For me they're working ok:

5. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

This are NOT cheap copies they are very very nice hi quality well made parts at great prices the motor housings are not copies they are in a way originals since no one, that I know makes or made an original CF motor housings like this, and folks like it or not, they are not made in the USA or Europe they are made un CHINA, there are other parts that are pretty good copies of FF stuff, its unfortunate but thats how it is.

6. Howard Dapp

Oran, is every CF component of your gimbal, other than the booms cut from 4mm CF? Even the CF connectors that link the boom clamps into 90-degree angles? If so do you sell these components separately? What's the specs of your CF booms for your gimbals?

BoomClampConnectors-12sets.jpg

7. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

OG is still here... ?

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

Howard the gimbal comes with 4mm on those parts or you can buy the same in 2.5mm

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Og Og (really Oran Goffe) this is a second request. Would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/.

From the post "...we would like to use real names from here on out for user names on the Freefly forum. We are having an increasing problem with spambots and fake users registering and real names will help. Additionally I feel real names will help maintain the level of professionalism that we desire for this forum.

If you could please switch over to your real name in the next week that would be great. We will start deleting accounts that do not appear..."

10. michel pet

michel pet New Member

i like to now wat kind of nuts are usd the are not lock nuts i think.

11. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

12. michel pet

michel pet New Member

looking good mario.

13. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Hi Mario

I dont know much, other than its, custom rewound 8108 motors for Red type cameras. I`ll ask the company, if they want to reveal more, and if they maybe take preorders..

14. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Anyone who can share PID setting for Alexmos, on the PAN Axis for 5208motor and DSLR (Canon 7D)

I know they all differ, but just as a starting point...

Tilt and roll settings would be great as well, for comparing / adjustments.

best regards

Brandon Loeser and Jason Herring like this.
  15. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

What gimbal is that?

16. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

When tilting down or up 20-25 degres, my roll moves down on one or the other side ???

If I move the tilt back to level, the roll comes slowly back into level.

Anyone knows what to adjust ?

using Alexmos tilt/roll on one controller - Pan on a second controller
    5208 motor on all axis and camera is Canon 7D

regards

17. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hi Mario great looking gimbal and with all of your tests im sure its going to be a "proven to work right gimbal" once you release it
    my questions:
    by having 2 motors on each axis are the advantages:
    1 to double on the torque capacity ?
    2 more presition ?
    3 or faster response ?
    4 1 board per axis ?
    5 Cine Star friendly ?
    6 expected payload range?
    7 Expected release + or - ( I know.... I had to ask)

thanks

18. Howard Dapp

Mario, looks great. Were you successful in synchronizing the motors? From what I've seen so far from others running dual motors on a single axis is performance that is not on par with running a 1 motor per axis setup. You may encounter lag as well as the inability to handle some mid to high frequency disturbances (motors operating at slightly different speeds, fighting each other). Is it really 100% possible to synchronize these hobby BL motors? Looking forward to your results.

19. Jose Luis Ocejo

My understanding is that many are aiming for Red Epic type of payload with in the best case a PL cine lens with the current best capable DD motors 5208 is not possible, or you are in the limits of the motor, is this correct, so I assume that 2 motors take care of this is this correct too? or is it better to wait to for that some one to come up with a suitable motor for more that 1600g payload, and then see if the curent DD controllers ability to drive that motor. is all this right ?

20. Matt Sharp

Matt Sharp Member

The direct drive limits right now are the controllers, and the motors. The biggest issue I had with servos and radians was backlash and speed. I'm testing and tuning a brushless belt setup using a 3.6:1 ratio. The alexmos GUI will only allow 50 poles currently so a higher ratio isn't yet possible. The 5208's are rated up to 1500 grams so in theory the belt drive should be capable of 5400 grams. No backlash and no speed problems so far. I'm waiting on some parts from the machine shop to firm up the pulley and motor mounts to the frame, but the first flight test with garage built mounts was better than anything I got raw with servos.