/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian single/dual operator using s.bus/Spektrum - channel mapping accordingly to radio

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Jean-Luc Fornier, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Jean-Luc Fornier

Jean-Luc Fornier New Member

Hi there,

I understood you could use s.bus and a spektrum satellite simultanuously and that the spektrum would take over when operator radio is turned on... it does.
    I understood you could set channels for single operator s.bus radio (7 and upwards since 1-2-3-4-5-6 are normally used for copter) and assign DIFFERENT channels for Spektrum operator (typically 1-2-3-4-5) for operating gimbal and Radian would remember each mapping according to radio used... It DOESN'T (unless I'm getting something wrong of course).

So from my understanding, what is missing today is :
    - channel mapping according to signal (radio) used
    - channel mapping INSIDE of RADIAN software, so you can assign whatever channel you want (channel 5 is normally used for copter)
    Edit : channels are mappable but not radio dependant.

If I'm wrong, please let me know, I'm a bit stuck with this problem :(

Thanks,
    Jean-Luc

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Jean-Luc Fornier

I realize the great lack of sleep I've been suffering for too many years working on multis made me skip the obvious solution for the mode channel :confused:
    So, yes of course Andy, I can assign another channel for mode.
    The question regarding different channel mapping for single and dual operator remains entire since I cannot remap channels stick on operator radio...

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I understand the lack of sleep problem. Remember, death is Nature's way of telling us to slow down. :)

Can you save different configurations of channel mappings as different models in the transmitters?

Andy.

5. Jean-Luc Fornier

of course Andy, that's not the problem : I want to assign channels 1, 2 and 4 to operator to control roll, nick and pan slew.
    The problem is I cannot affect these channels to pilot to control the gimbal since they are used to control the copter.
    I guess it should be possible to do this somehow, but on my radios I cannot reasign sticks to whatever channels I need, so I'm stuck.

On top of all this, one of my radian module is faulty, keeps drifting (roll) until it locks into safe mode, bummer :(

Edit1 : same problem as here, roll module is correctly mounted, sticker facing to the back, connector to the right hand side...

Edit2 : I swapped roll module with pan and roll is now working normally. I can't test the faulty module on pan right now, I'm missing the drive belt here...

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Jean-Luc:
    OK. Now I understand.
    The only radio I've seen that allows sticks mapped to different channels is the Graupner MX-20 and MC-32.
    I don't think the Spektrum's can do it.
    I've not checked the Futaba.

Andy.

7. Jean-Luc Fornier

right Andy, my old Futaba 9ZHP does it, but it's rather worn out from many years of intensive flying, but I will try it with a Spektrum module as the operator radio... this should solve the problem for the time being.
    This is why I think you've missed a few things at FF with the radian, amongst which channels should be mappable and radio (s.bus or ppm / Spektrum satellite) dependent since very few radios allow this kind of sticks channels remapping.

No word about my faulty module, should I open another thread, or what do you suggest I should do?
    Jean-Luc

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Jean-Luc:
    I'm only a volunteer moderator, I'm afraid, but Tabb and JohnC (who designed the Radians) read the forum (although they're both pretty busy getting stuff ready for NAB and the like -- so they are not on the forum much now).

As for your Radian module, you might be worth trying to reflash it with the firmware and see if that revives it, otherwise you will need to contact your dealer, I'm afraid.

Regards
    Andy.

9. Jean-Luc Fornier

Hello Andy,

I understand your position, I thought you were part of FF staff, sorry.
    I did a reflash yesterday, it helped but only briefly, the roll module went bizerk only shortly after binding the roll axis like crazy.
    Since two FF servos already burned on location, I'm very concerned about a gimbal binding, these servos are not exactly cheap ;)

Ok, I will contact my dealer today :(

Cheers,
    Jean-Luc

10. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

The Spektrum DX18 does allow stick remapping. Here is how I remapped for Radian harmony with the DX6i:
    dx18 channels setup.jpg

11. Jean-Luc Fornier

Hey Joe,

thanks for your input, question now is am I going to buy a new Spektrum TX after all the glitches I've experienced with previous ones ;)
    Are you happy with your DX18, have you had it for long?

Cheers,
    Jean-Luc

12. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

I have had the dx18 for about 6 months. I am happy with it - like the feel and controls. Lots of switches - maybe too many.
    Nice to have 12 channels even without the x-8 expander.

Also like the diversity built into the hard antennae and handle: (from their propaganda)
    Dual Diversity Antenna
    The DX18 is the first Spektrum transmitter with a “dual diversity” fixed antenna. Aside from being incredibly durable, it’s the first pro-class transmitter antenna to employ the use of both vertical and horizontal antenna arrays. The horizontal array is cleverly housed in the handle on the back of the transmitter and, with the vertical array, virtually eliminates the possibility of polarization blackouts.

Dislikes:
    Cannot have voltage and altitude telemetry on one screen
    Telemetry does not talk to you

Best
    Joe

13. Jean-Luc Fornier

14. Jean-Luc Fornier

I finally took time to find some good sleep and all became clear... I have now set the 9ZHP as operator radio, it's working ok.
    DX18 seems like a nice solution too, probably my favorite one, but my concern is compatibility with all my multis and planes and helis using DSM2 RXs...
    Joe since you have one, do you know if it work with the older DSM2 RX at all?

Edit : just found the answer on another forum :

Cheers,
    Jean-Luc

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Excellent, Jean-Luc. And thanks for going the extra mile by posting the answer here too!

Andy.

16. Jean-Luc Fornier

my pleasure Andy, thanks for taking time with me.

Jean-Luc

17. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Jean
    DX18 is backward compatible with DSM2 Rx,
    no problem at all

18. Jean-Luc Fornier

thanks Ramesh :)
    Just got one a few minutes ago, not quite sure if I like this radio, it feels very cheap to be honest.
    Something else, I'm used to being able to apply expo to any channel and with the DX18 only Th, Rud, El and Ail can have expo.
    Would anyone know of a way to apply expo on let's say AX1, I tried with a mixer but the,radio is too new to me and I quite don't see how to do this ?

19. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

A friend of mine has this radio, and my son, in another city also has it.
    and i am also planning to buy it
    cause the gimbal sticks can be assigned to any channel.
    so if that be the case
    i would guess expo should be available on all channels
    i have asked a friend in same city as me to check if expo available on ch 1 to 10
    i will check if he has the extension module to make it into 18 channels
    and if expo available on the extended channels
    waiting for him to get home and give me the info

20. Jean-Luc Fornier

yes, channels assignable is why I bought the radio as well.
    Expo is only available on channels 1 to 4, period.
    That's a major drawback for me, I'm very disappointed :(
    May be QQ has it?