/dist/images/branding/favicon

CS6 Irratic motor speed

Discussion in 'Cinestar 6' started by Tony Larkin, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Hi Guys,

I'm still a newcomer to the multicopter world so bear with! I've completed 8 flights so far just doing the basics and so far so good. However, the motors seem to be a little erratic at times. When I power them up and go for a take off, as i'm increasing the gas they sometimes reach a point were they stop speeding up and then suddenly catch up. Almost as though there was a 'dodgy' connection on the gas stick. It's still flyable, but i'll get it into a hover and then it might climb with out any input from me. They don't seem to cut out, just in a split second catch up to my gas stick position.

Not sure if i'm making sense?!

Tony

CS6
    MK flghtcntrl v2.1
    quadrocopter motors

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Tony, any chance you can post a video with audio of this happening....it's hard to know whether what you're describing is normal as the motors do change speed a lot as part of the aircraft's flight stabilization system.​
    Thanks​
    Andy.​

3. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Will do. I got a friend to try and film it on his phone but it didn't really come out that well!! I'll have a proper go at it at the weekend.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm less concerned about the video, actually -- it's more the audio of the motor noise that will tell me what's going on -- the video is not going to show the props correctly because of the stroboscopic effect of the frame rate...

Andy.

5. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Agreed, the frame rate does give an unusual look to a spinning rotor!! I'll try and get some decent audio at least.

Tony

6. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Did you calibrate your ACC before your first flight? Also, post a GPX file from the copter. That will show what the sticks are doing in comparison to what the motors are doing.

Josh

7. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Hi Josh, The CS6 was built by a company here in England. However, when i took ownership of it, the software was out of date and i made the schoolboy error of trying to update it over wireless! Problems followed, but thanks to help from Andy and Gary we're looking in better shape now. I imagine that now I have upgraded the flghtcntrl and navi board that ACC calibration is required?

Many thanks for the advice. Do i need extra software to get a GPX file?

Tony

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tony: The GPX files will be created by the Navigation Control board when:
    1. The GPS board has sufficient signal to get a date from the GPS satellites.
    2. There is a microSD card installed in the Navigation Control board.
    3. You increase the throttle to more than 40%.

To analyze the resultant GPX file the program that I like to use is MK_GPXTOOL: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/MKGPXTool

<shamelessplug>
    Oh, yeah....and there's this idiot who's created a DVD set on GPX files and how to use MK_GPXTOOL and Google Earth to analyze them....contact Quadrocopter and ask about it. I just shipped some of those DVDs to QC. :) :)
    </shamelessplug>

Andy

9. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Andy, Thanks once again for your advice. Unfortunately, i'm working away a lot at the moment so time on the project is limited. For a few weeks anyway.

Hey, i heard about a lad from South Yorkshire creating some great DVD's! Ordering them is certainly on my 'to do' list.;)

Tony

10. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

I think this was something to do with the compass. I re-calibrated it and since then it's been fine!

Tony

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The compass information is used to help stabilize the copter in yaw, I believe Tony. So your compass recalibration is consistent with that idea.

Andy.

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Check the expo settings and stick 1 curves on the TX. Throttle should not have a curve. If it has one take it out. Might solve it for you.