/dist/images/branding/favicon

Hands on with MōVI

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Scott Aubuchon, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Scott Aubuchon

Yesterday I attended class with Alex Buono (http://www.alex-buono.com/), it was about Visual Storytelling. Great all day session with some insanely cool tips and gear. He's a very talented guy, does all the shorts for SNL and has made a few movies... super talented.

Anyway, one of the "toys" he brought along was the (now famous) MōVI. Like many here, I think I have seen every bit of footage from the thing. And given my experience with freefly products the past year or so, I felt oddly close to it. Alex talked in depth about how they used it in this clip (starting at 3:20).

It was very strange to hear non RC people talk about the batteries, hear Alex talk about challenges with balance, etc. And at the same time, it was nice to speak up and talk about what we do and how we use similar gear on the copter.

And, it was super cool to get a good amount of time just inspecting the MōVI and seeing how it was built. First off, I have to say, its like SILK in its movement. I was stunned how well each axis moved. It did seem to go a little crazy at times, but I think it wasn't balanced all that well. Its a great evolution, and I'm really happy to see so much pub it gets.

Here is a little video of me imitating Tabb:

Which begs my question... will FreeFly sell just the "servos" or "BL motors" or whatever they are called now. Similar to how they had the Radian upgrades. Would love to have that movement on my rig. So much cleaner than the the gear driven stuff.

Tabb, if you see this, I would love to test out a "retro kit", haha... I'll even make a video tutorial for you ;) Please...

Anyway, it was a fun day and cool to see the thing in person.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The FF folks have been pretty clear as to their priorities. They're hand-building the MōVI 10, and are presumably working behind the scenes on the '5' and '20' models to which they've alluded, but for which there is no release date or specs (other than the payload).

So I wouldn't hold your breath.

There are already a few options out there, and some folks on this forum are experimenting with some DIY hardware. I figure it'll be the end of 2013 before all this settles out, and by then, I hope to have amortized my Radian-powered gimbal to the point where I can put it on ice as a backup and pick up a MōVI.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

4. Scott Aubuchon

Agreed... Plus, even if the upgrade were available now, can't exactly say I "need" it... I can produce with what I have, and if I can't, then I really shouldn't be thinking about an upgrade.

It was just so smooth... :)

Yeah, just read all 18 pages of that one... very cool stuff.

Steve Maller likes this.