/dist/images/branding/favicon

CS8 HL with MK FC2.2 Navkit and Herkules III issues.

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Sedric "Zellevision" Sari, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Sedric "Zellevision" Sari

Hi guys.
    Have a heavylifter, custombuild by me on CS frame, longer boms etc.
    FC 2.2 upgrade, navkit, tiger 3515 engines with 15/4 apc and herkulesIII as esc, FF 6s 9000 lipos, all with latest FW.
    FC .90j, NC .30n, and H3 on v3.

The HL flyes kinda OK with some hopping, moving, nervous light jerking mostly at hover, tweeking left. But I cant get the AH to perform well. For the record we have 3 more cs8 birds with all newest mk electronics, fw and fc 2.2 upgrade. I do all the tuning and config, and all 3 flyes like a charm, the AH with the upgrade is perfect! GPS hold very good, soft and calm machines.

But with this new CS8 HL I cant get the AH to do what its supposed to. I hover at 55-60% stick with 3.9kg payload, total of about 9kg. When I hit the AH the bird goes crazy as if I gave it full throttle, like a rocket, rices about 10m in 1 sec, so much power! When I lover the throttle it slowsdown, but not as I know it should do with the fc upgrade and "auto" setting in mk AH config. Tryed alot of different settings at AH config, without success. The HL it selfs are very nervous, not near the other ones with MK BL's.

Tired of hunting the right settings, feels like the combo of MK and Herkules3 aint gonna work as well as MK BL's. Last try before I reclaim the H3. Better ESC's? BL's with 5s config? can they handle the current and weight?

Any ideas where or what to start with?

HL_AH_20130608.jpg
    HL_Gyro_20130608.jpg

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

On the altitude screen try turning off Height Limitation Control. On the Gyro screen change Gyro D to 25, Acc/Gyro-Comp to 95.

And by FC 2.2 upgrade do you mean that the FC board has the new altitude ACC installed?

Lastly have you contacted the dealer where you bought the Herc board to discuss possible settings that will work with the Herc? The settings I am suggesting are not based on a Herc board.

3. Sedric "Zellevision" Sari

Gary, my fault, the hight limitation is off, its on vario.. mouse typo before screenshot.
    Will try the gyro suggestions, thx... And yes, have been mailing with them about this, bout they dont have anything concrete, nor the developer.... :(.

4. Matt Kearney

Matt Kearney Member

Hi Sedric,
    How did you go with this??

Im thinking of the Herkules iii board because the flight characteristics of my x8 with ic2 converter and esc's is not as good as with the mk bl's.

The guys at kopterworx highly recommend the herk but im concerned that it may not help then??

I dont find my bird twitchy, more that it wont sit still in the air.

Ive tried all types of settings but it just won't level out well-it always just wants to fly off in any direction and it will without any stick inputs.

Any ideas?

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Matt

Sounds like something else is likely going on. Many folks are flying the MK FC with the Abusemark I2C converter. I'm not personally aware of anyone doing it in an X8 configuration but still not likely to be the cause of a copter that is uncontrollable by stick inputs.

If the mixer is setup properly, ESC's (which ones are you using) properly programmed, you have the correct props installed on the correct motors for direction and the motors are running in the correct direction for their installation position the copter shouldn't wander around. Best suggestion is to take the props off while you are on the bench. Not sure which I2C you are using but for Abusemark there is an ESC calibration and then an MK Min Gas check that needs to be done. Then with MKTool hooked up go through and use the motor test function one at a time to check for proper direction after you have checked the mixer and configuration setting are set for X8.

Slow methodical review of all of your setup may help you find the issue. On the surface sounds like a motor may be spinning the wrong way or has a CW prop installed in a CCW position.

6. Matt Kearney

Matt Kearney Member

Hi Gary,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Im sure i didn't explain my issues very well.

Im running the freefly motor set and dist board.

It does fly ok, if a prop or motor was the wrong way im sure it would have much bigger issues than it does!!!

ill try to explain it better,it might need alot of tweaking of the pid's to get it right.

It responds in the right way to all stick commands and flies well with the new altitude hold.

my problem must be pid related or that it wasn't perfectly level when i did the acc calibration.

if i take off and hover it will drift in a direction and not settle in a position(gps off) without help from the sticks.

Does this explanation make more sense??

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Matt do you have the wireless xbee for the ship so that you can run MKTool wirelessly? That would allow you to check the 3D screen for balance. Send over screen shots of the Gyro and the Mixer Setup page.

You might want to redo the ACC calibration. Round bubble level in the middle of the battery plate. Make sure that the FC board is on the standoffs and level. If it is cocked a bit on one of the standoffs then it won't balance. Never heard of it but if after do this and you still have a problem check that the FC standoffs are actually all the same length.

And if MKTool shows the CG pretty good in flight and it still drifts in a no wind situation you might have a bad FC board. But I haven't heard of that except on rare occasion.