/dist/images/branding/favicon

MK Tool?

Discussion in 'Software Solutions' started by Tony Larkin, May 21, 2013.

1. William Johnston

A few possibilities:

1) The accelerometers are not calibrated. The flyer is horizontal, but it thinks it isn't and it's trying to level itself. Don't take off if this is the case.
    2) The accelerometers are calibrated, but the flyer is not horizontal. Here the flyer is trying to level itself, but can't as it's not flying. If you push it off the ground a few inches it will tilt and not be able to level itself because the low propeller turbulence is sucking the propeller to the ground. It will scoot across the ground sideways. Everything is OK though; just push it up a meter and it will level itself.
    3) You have trim set so your remote is telling the flyer to fly in a particular direction. There shouldn't be any trim. It's too easy to bump those buttons and mess everything up. Checking that there isn't any trim is something to put on your flight check list.

2. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Thanks William,

I think it's 2) or 3). I should do an accurate acc calibration perhaps? Then check the trim isn't a compounding issue!?

Any suggestions on getting the CS6 'dead' level for acc calibration?

3. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

I'm up in the air and yes, dead chuffed. Feels great and slowly working my way towards more complicated manoeuvres (by my standards). Seem to have a motor issue though which is a little un-nerving which you can find on another thread of mine!

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Sure. Here's a rather good way to do it:

1. Remove the gimbal from the copter and rest the copter on the table.
    1a. Remove the props.
    2. Remove the battery plate, and screw some nylon/metal standoffs on in place of the plastic nuts that are holding down the flight control board.
    3. Then use the tops of those standoffs on which to rest a small spirit level. Use whatever is to hand (e.g. partial pads of Post-Its) to shim up the copter to adjust it.
    4. Then, once you have the FC level, use the spirit level on the battery posts to see if those are also level (if they are, then in future, if you need to repeat the calibration you can use the battery plate as a proxy for the FC board.
    5. When you have the FC level with the FC power up the copter (See step 1.a above!)
    6. Turn on your transmitter, and move the left stick to the top right hand corner to write the ACC calibration to the non-volatile memory.

You only need do this once for a given version of the FC firmware. If you upgrade, you'll need to do it again.

Andy.

5. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

I'm with you Andy. Will give it a go

6. William Johnston

Yes. A level accelerometer calibration is vital.

Aside from the throttle when your not touching the sticks they should be transmitting a 127 to the flyer. Adjust your trims until they do.

To calibrate the accelerometer I put a bullseye level on the battery plate and level the craft with business cards under legs. Up-right with the left stick will send the calibrate message to the flight controller. The calibration values are stored in non-volatile memory so you only have to do it once after each firmware update. It's probably also a good idea to do a calibration if you take apart and reassemble the craft.

7. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Thanks for this William. I know what i'll be doing tomorrow!

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If you are using a Graupner MX-20 do the Stick Calibration. There should be no requirement to trim the center position if the sticks are calibrated. It can be found on page 29 in the manual.