/dist/images/branding/favicon

Most rewarding/nerve wracking flights, but a maybe gps problem

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Jei Swan, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

Just had the 2 best results and most terrifying flights every so far with one just kinda leaving me with questions.

I was asked to launch off a 56ft boat 4 miles off the coast of the island. what i have learned. absolutely no wind if i ever attempt again the boat rocks to much fine on the landing but take off nearly ran in the the boats side rail.

Was asked for a basic architecture shot put the heli up with no problem turned the gps on and the heli just started "freaking out" cant really explain what was going on aside from it not holding position and just moving violently in the air. Air speeds were 14knot with gusts 18-20 was flying no gps for about 1/2 the flight before it decided to work(position hold). I put it up again after landing and swapping batteries launched with the gps on no problem.

Finally was filming a runner at the local stadium just a simple fly over durring their 100m sprint. the heli wouldn't hold position for the start was drifting a lot more than i am used to or comfortable with. and after one flight i turned the gps on and the heli just flew straight back past its home point (come home was not switched on) i had to again turn the gps off an fight to keep it in control same as the house flight earlier today.

I am curious os soem thing wrong with the gps after the boat flight which was yesterday (the gps was slow that day for picking up the heli in flight but when it was on it held no problem. but today i am having soo many problems with it am under the suspicion that is it busted and needs to be replaced. its 12:51 just got in from the stadium ill post the logs for for all the flights i have mentioned because these situations are worrying luckily i was able to keep my calm and land the heli with out incident but if the problem can be solved
    help would be much appreciated.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jei: The current solar weather at http://www.n3kl.org/sun/images/noaa_kp_3d.gif? shows that the Kp Index is at Solar Storm levels. That could well be a contributing factor to the GPS issues you have been having. However, I can't tell from your posting exactly when you were doing this flying.

Before you conclude that anything has broken, I would wait for the Kp Index to drop back to 3 or less and then try flying the copter again.

Andy.

3. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

Flight times alle times Atlantic time (Halifax,Canada for a city reference)
    5th roughly 1pm
    6th, 3pm and 3:30pm roughly again. and last flights between 10- 10:30pm.
    ill post correct times and logs once ever thing is unloaded form the car.

4. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

These files are from the boat and from the architecture assignent. The stadium info on the log it appears not to have registered at all. and i did two flights last night at the location.

Attached Files:

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's the chart. Data and Times are based on Greenwich/Zulu time noaa_kp_3d.gif

6. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

I may have found the problem. Just noticed there is a cable missing from the system (the 6pin cable from the gps to the flight control)...no clue where it is may have fallen off between moves the weird thing is its no where in the frame. is it possible to make a quick patch with servo cables till i can get a true replacement part.
    2013-06-07 19.46.21.jpg

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yes that would be a solution. 2 sets of servo connectors would do it. Top to top, bottom to bottom.

8. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

ok i was nice too know i was thinking along the right lines. just didn't implement the patch as i feared the system would fry because the 2 cables may just do different things.

When i did figure this out the gps was flashing that it was connected but the remote wasn't registering the coords for the gps data. which now is making me question what each connection on the system do. and maybe this is the reason the Gps data didn't record on the stadium flights.

I still feel this is just one part of a probably larger problem with the gps because the flight i had while the cable was still attached was freaking out. is there any way for some one on a mac to be able to use a simple gpx viewer get the flight data.

So what does this 6 pin connection do?

9. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

attach the GPX file and I can save the review page to a txt file or do a page grab

10. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

They are already in the thread6 post above this one; 500 is the day before on the boat. 600 & 601 back on land are the flights in question.

11. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

here you go screen grabs

Attached Files:

12. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

Thanks. Now to figure out what im looking at.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jei:
    It might be helpful for you to do a Google search for MK_GPXTOOL, download and install it -- it will allow you to analyze GPX files. Scott did that and he's showing you the summary screens that MK_GPXTOOL produces.

In the next week or so (I've just shipped them to QC), there will be DVDs for a "Rather Good (Beginner's) Guide to MK_GPXTOOL and Google Earth" and this describes the contents of the GPX file, and shows you how to use MK_GPXTOOL and Google Earth to analyze GPX files.

Sorry for the shameless plug, but, as I say, you might find it helpful.

Andy.

14. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

The only problem is im on a mac with no boot camp so no windows. and the crappy lap top that i have the MK software on is juts that a cheap laptop which is a pain to work on due to its tiny size and its slow speed. while i will see if i can afford your dvd in the end i wont be able to make much use of it because to get a windows computer in Bermuda will cost my a couple $Ks which is why i come here to ask for any help if any one is willing to offer.

15. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

Ok tried the servo cable patch and no response from the gps on the remote.

unless i have them up side down... 2013-06-08 11.34.47.jpg

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jason

Take a look at the boards. The wiring should be:

1. In your photo of the GPS board you see the the right hand pin location has a "1" on it. If you leave the connector on the top the way you have it then Black is on Pin 1 and needs to go to the top connector on the FC board the same way.
    2. Bottom would be the same. For making it easy I would suggest making Black on the bottom right Pin 1 also.

Make sure that you are connecting to the correct location on the FC board, just as if the boards were sitting on top of each other.

This should work without a problem if the wiring is correct.

17. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

Yeah its a no go. no reaction at all. looks like i am on a search for either a new gps or a new ribbon cable because those aren't sold on the island.

Edit: just used the 8pin connector from the mk usb and its working. still have to look for a replacement though.

18. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Another good emergency fix. Forgot about that cable and it is probably long enough to reach. Perhaps one of the servo cables has a bad connector.