/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Tom, How strong are these parts? Could they support an EPIC? I've never seen a 3d printed part in person so I am not sure what kinds of weight they can support.

Josh

2. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Josh, they are pretty strong and if you use ABS its not as brittle and would bend more if there are issues. PLA might break but its pretty strong.

I have a prototype carrying an epic that's using some abs printed in place, for certain parts til it gets milled.

3. Josh Lambeth

Cool! Thanks for the info.

In the process of designing my own parts for the first time. This is actually a fun process! :D

Josh

4. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

yup for sure... a 2000-2500 printer and the world of making your gimbals and parts is your oyster :D

5. Tom Wadsworth

Tom Wadsworth New Member

tell you what I can just put those up on there if you like on the shop page, will need to do it tomorrow :) so you just want the bit that mounts the motor to the shaft on the pitch and the mount piece from motor to back of roll? the casings that stop the ourunning part of the motor spinning you dont want?

6. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Tom a couple of quick questions.
    1. Give or take what is the weight differential? Right now I have a FF 3 axis with Radians. How much weight am I adding or trading away.
    2. I gather the Martinez board makes my Radians obsolete or do I use them in tandem for stabilization.
    3. Are those boards Arduino. Consequently they need to be programmed. Correct?

7. Josh Lambeth

Mark, I can answer question 2. The Martinez board, or the AlexMos boards replace the Radians. They are designed specifically for driving a brushless gimbal motor rather than the servo's our gimbals currently use.

Josh

8. Josh Lambeth

Hey Bill, Has the weather cleared up for a flight yet??? Anxious to see how well it works!

Josh

9. Marty Ferris

Marty Ferris New Member

Tom,

I have a couple of questions:

How do you control the pitch axis? Do i need a separate receiver or can the tilt control be passed through the radian on the pan axis with satellite receiver?

Have you tried these with the alexmos board?

Thanks Tom

10. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Well so much for those fabulous Radian's that I shelled out a bunch of cash for.

11. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi Josh,
    Here is a Alexmos test flight in a nice breeze - about 8-10 m/s

Cheers
    Bo

12. Josh Lambeth

Bo what camera is that?

13. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

it´s a Sony cx 740..

14. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi, in your experience, what engine is best for use in the roll, 4114, 5208 or 5206 ?, I have thought of using only a brushless motor for the roll, the pan and tilt with radians. I use a gh2 but also I want that this motor can with more weight, and where you buy this.

Gustavo.

15. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi Gustavo,
    I´m not a expert. I have only tried out the 5208 on the roll axis. At the moment it´s looks like that´s the strongest motor.
    It could be that´s not the right choice for pan and tilt.

Cheers

16. Aleksandar Pejovic

Aleksandar Pejovic New Member

For cameras such as gh2 or cx740 (up to 700-800 grams) 4008 is fine, if you try the brushless solution you wont use your radians, im sure about that, maybe on pan but definitely you will end putting motors everywhere.

I´m finishing my new gimbal, similar to the one I´m actually using but with the 5208, hope to start tests in a few days.

ASAP I will send you some pictures and the dslrs gimbals tests.

17. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

The idea of ​​combining with radians is because I have them and only change the roll because I think there is significant better there, in terms of stabilization, at least from what I've seen.
    Where you buy this 4008 ?

thanks,

Gustavo.

18. Aleksandar Pejovic

Aleksandar Pejovic New Member

Gustavo, I think we are in a similar situation, we also have radians here and had used many different servos gimbals and electronics, but after using brushless, trust me, I´m sure you will end using them on pitch also. We are actually using the radians for a octo which we only use for photography and for our epic at least until we get motors with enough torque to move the red (should be soon)

4008 are made by iflight and if you google gbm4008-150t you´ll find many shops that sell them. For the gh2 4008 is ok for both pitch and roll, but if you want to be on a safe way you could put 4008 on pitch and 5206-5208 on roll as normally because of the added inertia you need around 40% more power to stabilize roll when using same motors.

I have started converting one of the cinestars to be used with the brushless but now I have build a direct replacement made of 25mm carbon tubes so I can easily and quickly connect and exchange them on the cinestars 360 and landing gear which i still use with a servo directly connected to the RX (nos stabilized). With this week tests using the 5208, 5d mk2 I´ll also try how does the brushless perform on the pan.

19. Ardian Putra

Ardian Putra New Member

20. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

I to am considering just the roll for now. My biggest issue is roll which even with the Radians I can never seem to get perfect. Tilt and pan seen to work fine and is quite stable. I hope to have the parts this week and have the conversion done by the weekend.