/dist/images/branding/favicon

Graupner GR-12 wiring question

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Nick Adams, May 21, 2013.

1. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Hi,
    I am building a C8 with a 3-axis Radian stabilized gimbal. I am using an MX-20 for the flight controller and an MX-12 for a 2nd person camera op with a monitor for video downlink
    I am in the process of building and wiring the gimbal.
    How or where would I find out which Radian wiring configuration will suit the GR-12 receiver?
    Can I use S.Bus? PPM etc?

Cheers,

Nick

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Nick start with the Radian Manual and also the videos on the Freefly YouTube channel. Good starting point for you. Also search the forums for several postings on how to use two Graupner's simultaneously on a copter so that you don't have interference.

3. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Thanks Gary
    I did try those avenues, I guess I was looking for specific answers regarding wiring the Radians. I think I have it figured out now.
    I did come across the concerns with two Graupner receivers on the same copter. I will be paying close attention:)

4. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

Hi Nick I am doing the same thing as you! I have been tinkering for a while now, the receiver is ppm so you can use that wiring. My main radio is the mx 20 and my plan was to use the mx 12 for dual/op flying and just the 20 for solo. That being said I know that there is one person who has a dual setup with a spectrum receiver however I am hoping the same thing can be acheived with dual graupner receivers? let me know how you are making out... I am at the stage of hooking up the wires.

Cheers

Dave

5. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Hi Dave,

Once I figured out the Graupner was PPM it was pretty straight forward. I think sometimes I get so engrossed in what i'm doing, the
    info I need is looking right at me, I just don't see it:) to many late nights working on my copter I guess.

I have decided that I am going to have a two person setup only. So I am hoping that will eliminate most of the TX/RX problems people
    are having. It is more a case of not wanting to overextend my limited flying skills by adding another task to the mix (camera op) while I am trying to keep the thing in the air:).

I can set the direction of the gimbal manually before I take off, if I am flying solo and then set the gimbal to 'Stabilization on-fixed position' and do multiple flyby's. Thats the theory anyway. In truth, I plan on using a second camera op most of the time.

I have had a couple of issues with the gimbal coming loose, which then causes the gimbal to shake violently or behave irratically. Yesterday the tilt was not working properly and I realized the horizontal camera mount bars had slipped (the one with the tilt Radian attached and the one opposite). I also had the vertical CF tube (right under the pan Radian) fall out with my 5d mounted to the gimbal. It fell a whopping 2" to the kitchen counter but scared the c##p out of me.
    I plan on taking every screw out today, one by one, and adding loctite to the screws and re-tightening them back down. Just something
    to look out for.
    I think I will add some torque seal to the gimbal after I have rebalanced it to give me a visual indicator if something is off.

Good luck with your build

Nick