/dist/images/branding/favicon

Camera choice for Video 2013

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Matt O'Brien, May 29, 2013.

1. Matt O'Brien

Matt O'Brien Member

Hi Guys,

I just finished building my octo which is carrying the3 axis gimbal with radians. My gf had her Cannon T3I laying around so for the first few test flights I have been using that until I decide which camera to buy. I see a lot of new great things coming to market ex ( new black magic 4 K ) but a lot of things seems to be on back order for some time. With that in mind I am looking to buy something that has the best video quality at the moment. I know some cameras have better stabilization than others and 90 percent of my shooting is all video over still shots. I have read a lot going back and forth on the DLSR's vs something smaller like an NEX model. I am trying to get as much information as possible in which is best for video and what experience or recommendations you guys would have to offer. I am sure there are a lot of you on here that have used quite a few different cameras and would like to know what truly performs the best. Thanks for your time and I look forward to your responses.

2. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Panasonic GH3

3. Matt O'Brien

Matt O'Brien Member

I have seen this been used quite a bit for video as well. Why is this a good choice?

4. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

It is light and the video quality is amazing. Not to mention there is a huge underground folowing of this camera that is known for hacking the firmware. Normally the hack comes out about 6 months after the camera...and the GH3 came out in November...so anytime now. The hacks are free and unlock the camera to its full potential!!

Currently I shoot on a GH2 and will likely upgrade as soon as a good reliable hack comes out.

Beyond that, I like the idea of the Pocket Cinema by Black magic, however the 3x crop factor is a deal breaker for me right now.

5. Jonathan Keao

Jonathan Keao Member

Hi Duane,

Are you using your GH2's HDMI out for FPV? Reason I ask is that the camera seems to always switch to 1080i/30 from any other setting once I connect the camera to Freefly's HDMI converter. You run into this problem?

Aloha,
    Jon

6. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

You aren't the first one to make this complaint. From what I understand the only HDMI converter that works is the one from Kopterworx. But I don't have either, so I wouldn't ask me.

My research tells me that the cameras output changes but that how it records doesn't. Maybe someone who uses a GH2 for FPV could chime in and confirm this?

7. Jonathan Keao

Jonathan Keao Member

Ok, so I got the FPV to work.

I've finally concluded (with help from others and my own testing) that when you plug an HDMI cable into the GH2, the camera will only record at 1080i. You can do this is manual mode at 60fps, or in cinema mode at 24fps. It looks like this "feature" or "fault" is widely known among ground-based GH2 users.

In a nutshell, I'm gonna stick with 1080i recording, because I want the FPV view from the camera and not a secondary.

Now to get that shutter cable to work!!!