/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Since you will already be using two controllers, maybe you can use the free channel to gang two motors together and double the power on the roll. This thing would start to get heavy though...
    Are you using the brushless motor with the belt? Or the standard servo? In my standard 360 gimbal, I see the most wiggle and slop from the belt and pulley. I would much rather have a gear setup with anti-backlash system like this- https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Catalog/Group/205
    I wish I had a spare gimbal to do some development on! Mine is constantly in use. Nudge nudge.. Tabb. :)

2. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

I just did a test fly with the 5208 motor only on the roll axis and in windy conditions - and it looks beautiful!! It´s another world :)

3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Bo, Care to share this footage??? :D

Josh

4. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

How about the motor below? Even if there were large enough motors to accommodate heavy cameras like RED, does Alex's board supply enough power to push it? What are our limits?

http://www.uavobjects.com/product/gimbal-brushless-motor-4114/
    image.jpg

5. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi Josh,

Cheers

6. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi Bo, which camera ?, you can put a picture of how you have installed the roll.

Gustavo

7. Tom Wadsworth

Tom Wadsworth New Member

Hey peeps. Well as this thread got started I also converted my 3 Axis Gimbal to Brushless. I flew it today and in 15-20mph winds with my graupner props causing vibration here and there I am more than happy, there is a little tweaking and better gyro placement to be done :D I got my parts from www.funtobuyonline.com, they sell the pancake motors and can work the FS700 from what I have tested (with a small lense). Anyway I 3D printed the frames and casings and bish bash bosh a bloody good sturdy, smooth gimbal. I use a SteadiCam also so have used it briefly on this too, could it be the first brushless gryo stabilised Steadicam ? hmmm hope so :p Heres the Video of my testing from ground to air :D

David Gamble likes this.
  8. Howard Dapp

Hi Tom, very clean build. Which motors are you using on your gimbal? The largest bl gimbal motor I see at funtoflyonline is rated at 1500g max load. Thanks

9. Tom Wadsworth

Tom Wadsworth New Member

There is a motor to the left of the 1500g rated one that is rated to 2000g. Its a bit wierd that thay put the strongest one second last.

10. Howard Dapp

Yeah, they even have the stronger motor listed as weighing 144g, which is less than the lighter capacity motor which is listed weighing 166g..must be a mistake.

I wonder if running dual motors on a single axis would cause performance issues...

11. Tom Wadsworth

Tom Wadsworth New Member

Ah yes this is the info I missed out. I run two boards one for each axis. Now its not say the board and does not cope on a level plane but if you want to tilt the pitch by rc it does not like looking 90 degrees down so I have two boards and two gyros. I did try using a radian for the z axis but alas failed :( three axis boards are coming out soon though :)

12. Josh Lambeth

Thats some really nice footage Tom! Nicely done!

Josh

13. Aleksandar Pejovic

Aleksandar Pejovic New Member

Hi all.I´ve been reading many of you since I have bought a 3 axis and radians. I planned to present myself with a video I was doing showing the problems and dissapointment I have found with the radians/freefly servos combination and show you some modifications and solutions I have tested to reduce specially the servos slop by using a dampening system, but I really prefer to show you with this first post something much better and happier and that actually seems to work as it should.

Conversion done with 2 x 4008 motors and a panasonic gh2 with 12mm lens. I still need to do some adjustments and raise the camera a bit further but it seems to work nicely. Pan is not stabilized and will be also done soon with second controller/imu.

Jordi Cristofol and Steve Maller like this.
  14. Josh Lambeth

Nicely done!

Can you post any pictures of your setup?

josh

15. Tom Wadsworth

Tom Wadsworth New Member

So if anyone is interested I have put the conversion mount kit up for sale on shapeways

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/aerobotixuk

Heres a Vid of my new conversion being rocked The video of that day is a few threads up :D

16. kjetil tønnesen

hello
    nice work with the kit
    do the kit works with the bgm5208 motors or wil it just fit the motors you are using?

17. Tom Wadsworth

Tom Wadsworth New Member

The kit will only fit the 5208 from this link, They sell elsewhere but I only know this site for its specs etc. Can't guarantee working with anything else. I can design the mounts around other motors no probs but need to know motor specs etc and need exact diagrams of the motor.

18. kjetil tønnesen

i want the motormount for tilt and a motormount for roll
    and i have the 5208 motor:)
    do you have what i need to mount the motor to the cs gimble and mount the motor to the tiltbar?

19. kjetil tønnesen

one more thing
    do you have the axling that i can mount on the motor
    i need 2