/dist/images/branding/favicon

Why Wookong-M when NAZA-M is much cheaper?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Josh Wilson, May 10, 2013.

1. Josh Wilson

Josh Wilson Member

I would like to get some thoughts from people about the NAZA-M vs Wookong-M.

My Experience
    I have been flying with the original Cinestar and MK equipment for about a year and half. Things have been working well and no complaints – dependability has been very good. I upgraded the gimbal with the Radian system so things are looking good for even better results.

About three months ago I purchased a DJI F550 to have something to play around with using just a GoPro. My favorite part is the Come-Home feature allows you to gradually call it back using the sticks (unlike MK which does it automatically once you hit the switch and it basically just takes over the flying). Long story short, the DJI GPS, altitude control (and hold) are very impressive. I can pull off long fluid shots that I don’t think is possible with the Cinestar and MK electrons.

For example, here is one I shot with the DJI F550. There is a little post stabilization but I’m not even using a gimbal.

Now DJI offers the NAZA-M VS2 that allows you to operate an Octo. Either way – cinestar 6 or Cinestar 8 – If I don’t need waypoints, etc. what else is there to consider if the NAZA-M works so well at half the price?

I have not flown a ship with the Wookong-M setup yet so I don’t have experience to compare them all.

I’m not thinking about selling my MK Cinestar 6. I was just throwing around the idea of having another ship with a DJI setup for the best of both worlds and a little redundancy to boot. Thanks for any insight you can provide on the topic.

-Josh

2. Brandon Loeser

Wookong M
    WookongM.png

Naza V2
    NazaV2.png

Hi Josh,
    I did a screenshot so we can all see the differences or the similarities. You're right about the waypoints. I know Wookong has POI (Point of Interest) flying. Haven't used it much but seems like a nice option especially if you're using a 2-axis gimbal. Also... I don't know if the Naza has the failsafe "if a motor goes out or you lose a prop" option like the Wookong does. We love our DJI Wookong and Naza V1 over the MK too.

Josh Wilson likes this.
  3. Angelo Borter

Angelo Borter New Member

Very interesting. i don't see any reason to go for the wookong. as for now naza also supports 8 rotors.
    would be great to hear some other people toughts :)

4. Josh Wilson

Josh Wilson Member

Correct, it now supports 8 rotors and a lot of people like myself are using radian's on the gimbal so gimbal control via the main unit is no longer needed. I still love my MK cinestar. GPS and position hold work great and the MK system has a few other tricks.

5. Michael comissiong

Hi,
    I think that the main diffrence is weight the Naza can only handle lighter weights while wkm will do both heavy and light.

6. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

I wouldnt say the NAZA can only handle light loads. MY bird pushes around 12LBS AUW on a hex and the NAZA flies it just fine.

7. Michael comissiong

That's intresting because I know that I read the weight issue on one of DJI websites, because I was thinking the same thing when I was buying my first wkm system, and I don't doubt you on what you are saying , but there is a big price diffrence. I need to really find out if there is any real diffrence between the two systems , as i am in the market for another one soon.
    I just built a heavy lift octo that is 15 pounds with out camera etc.

8. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

The only possible thing i can think of is better sensors in the WKM to correct the heavier loads faster but thats a total guess, all I know is my NAZA performs great and at the moment do see a need to switch.

9. Sean Haverstock

I've been wondering the same thing everytime I fly with my new WKM. I had three nazas (V1) on three setups (550, 900mm hex and 900mm y6). They flew just fine. I've noticed with the WKM, that take off is a bit smoother and gps is more accurate. But Naza V2 has an improved takeoff apparently.

One difference is you can't run a custom motor mixer on the Naza. The custom X8 where the next prop spins the opposite direction, for example. THe other difference is the iOSD. Not sure if the iOSD mini (for NAZA) has flight logging.

So overall, not sure that the 600 or so bucks is warranted.

10. Jeff Sheffield

Jeff Sheffield New Member

Anyone interested in a brand new Naza M w/GPS? $300.
    I was going to convert my hex from the Hoverfly Pro, but it's just not going to happen.
    It's new, still in the box. Email me at jeff@mediaeast.com Paypal payments only.

11. Graydon Tranquilla

I had both the NAZA and still have the WKM and sold the NAZA because of a preference for the WKM. The WKM still is more robust, more accurate and remains several steps ahead of the NAZA hobby level products in a number of features..... The limitation of the WKM is never quite enough channels such that the A2 was developed.... to accomodate retractable landing gear and allow for more remote control of cameras etc. Both the WKM and the A2 have separate IMU modules which are more robust and more precise.

12. Michael comissiong

Hi ,
    I have the WKM using a MX 20 radio and graupner 16 CH RX more than enough channels for both camera with zoom control and retracts , just wire those things direct to the rx/tx channels instead of going through the wkm.
    I also have a second system with dragon link rx , same kind of setup , for longer flights.

13. satyen nikalje

satyen nikalje New Member

Hey Michael! I was going to get the same set up going as you , however I was unsuccessful to have gps signal when the DL is powered up. when i get back on the 2.4ghz, the signal comes back and makes it possible for me to use signal (DATA LINK - 900mhz) I need it for autonomous flight.

Question for you is that how did you manage to run this and the 433mhz. the kind of frame I am using this set up is the TBS 550 frame .
    is the frame too small? what could it it be? would really appreciate your advice and expertise.Thanks.

14. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member