/dist/images/branding/favicon

Newbie first accident

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Ivan Escasan, May 20, 2013.

1. Ivan Escasan

Ivan Escasan New Member

Hello everyone,
    I had my first accident and I havent even been able to actually test or fly my cs8 at all.

I was about to do a final test outside but first I decided to do a final test of each motor to be sure all
    he propellers were on the right place and turning in the correct direction. (first mistake)
    As much I followed Andy's Instructions I failed to the instruction of " dont test the motors with the properllers".....

So as I was doing test on motor number 3 by accident I raised the speed and suddenly booooom,
    my multirotor raised and i flipped haha. I felt so stupid but to make matters worst I was inside my apartment, and as the CS8 fliped I got no chance to react and it hit me in my knee, twice and the went after my almost new laptop knocking out several keys :(, the it hit the floor and the propeller broke and fle and got stock inside my laptop (I already took it out), then i was able to lift the copter and turn it off..........

I had respect for my CS8 but this stupid mistake made me realize how quick accidents happen......
    Now I am going to stick to Andy's suggestions on the DVD..........

Now my problem to fix my CS8,, first the boom came loose and I already fixed that by changing the clamps.
    The the propeller broke so I fixed that already (new one).

But my motor I think received the worst of it (and my knee cap 2 nasty cuts), when I turn the motor with my finger in only goes 360 degrees one time and the other goe like 3 time around.... It works but smells funny and also sounds very different so I dont know what happe ( I know what happen but not inside the motor).....

So what should I do is there a way to fix it so the motor can be smooth and turn as easy as the other motors?

I am attaching a video so maybe some of you can take a look and hear the different sound..The fist motor on the video is the one involved in the accident and the second one its just to compare how it should sound. THE PASSWORD IS : fly
    I am also attaching pictures of the damage ,I alrady fixed most of the stuff like the keys of the laptop (I was able to place back most of the keys), and thats it, hopefully someone has one of those very helpful answers.

Video Link pass: fly

Attached Files:

• a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      File size:
      152.2 KB
      Views:
    • a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      273.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

You could try replacing the bearings in the motor. Hopefully that is all that is needed. If it still doesn't sound normal after bearing replacement then likely the shaft got bent or other damage was done.

Sorry to hear about your incident. Hope the wound wasn't to serious.

3. Ivan Escasan

Ivan Escasan New Member

Thank you , yes my wound is doing ok it just hurts when I walk, also when the accident happen my father in law was here and he is a doctor so I got free medical attention haha.

Now I am going to enter intoa new world, I dont know how to replace it but I can google it but where do I get a motor bearing speacial for a QC motor?

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I would just install a new motor from QC. It's a small price to pay considering the value of the entire copter. If replacing the bearings does work and sometime down the road that motor fails in flight it'll seem like a real small price to pay compared to a crashed copter..

Dave King likes this.
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Ivan:
    Sorry to hear of the accident! I hope you're physical and psychological wounds heal quickly.

I think it is hard for all of us to realize how dangerous the motors on a copter can be. The rare earth motor is several orders of magnitude more efficient at producing power that most other motors.

A good rule to follow: if you are indoors and want to connect up a flight battery, take the props off.
    If you use a Hitachi electric screw driver you can remove all of the props in just two minutes.

Here's a cut an paste from one of my earlier postings about the things you might want to purchase:

8. Bondhus 11099 Set of 9 Balldriver Insert Bits, sizes 2-12mm (specifically for 2mm and 2.5mm -- the balldriver means you can undo things at an angle) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7XGUU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00
    9. Wiha 79495 31-Piece XLSelector Bit Set with Slotted Phillips TORX Hex Bits http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S0O7W2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01
    10. Sunex 810mdmg 1/4-Inch Drive 10-Mm Deep Magnetic Impact Socket (for propeller nuts) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076HKPQO/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

11. Hitachi DB3DL2 3.6-Volt 1/4-Inch Hex Drive Screwdriver (means you can remove a prop in about five seconds,m use torque setting 13 for tightening them) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y74AU6/ref=oh_details_o06_s01_i00

The full thread is at http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...-guide-to-the-cinestar-8.131/page-2#post-5707

Take care
    Andy.