/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spektrum Rx Setup - More than Seven Channels?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Josh Wilson, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Josh Wilson

Josh Wilson Member

I have been running a Spektrum DSMX satellite on my MK Cinestar 6. I am using a DX18 transmitter - single operator setup. What are people using to daisy chain receivers? Another question; I see only 7 channels active in the MikroKopter-Tool. Is the channel limitation due to the spektrum satellite receiver or the MK FC?

2. Josh Wilson

Josh Wilson Member

Anyone have some insight into this question?

3. Josh Wilson

Josh Wilson Member

I feel so lonely in here... Is there something confusing about my question? Who can help me with this?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ooops. Sorry about the lack of responses, Josh. I infer that it is because nobody is using the DX18 that you are and thus, rather than getting a chorus of "dunno," nobody has responded.

There is no limitation in MKTool for seven channels -- I've got an MC-32 and I can make all 12 channels waggle in MKTOOL.

Hope that helps
    Andy.

5. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

sorry I was not monitoring religiously. I am using the DX18 and can use 12 channels with the satellite receivers. Also I am using the diversity for the receivers - all working fine.

Joe

Attached Files:

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Wow, Joe....you use Carefree? You're a better man than I am, Gungha Din. :)

Andy.

7. Joe Azzarelli

Judicious is the key. For example, if the copter is far enough away that I cannot determine what direction the nose is facing then flipping on CF and pitch straight back seems to bring her back into view.

8. Josh Wilson

Josh Wilson Member

Here's my situation. Not sure why I'm not seeing more than 7 channels active in MK tools.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Josh: Can you verify on the transmitter servo monitor that channels 8 and up are moving there?
    As far as I am aware, there is nothing in MKTool that would inhibit the higher channel numbers from operating -- you might also want to verify what Receiver type you have set?

Can you also confirm that the satellite receiver is capable of receiving more than eight channels?
    While this page doesn't specifically show the DX18, it suggests that the number of channels might be less than the main receiver:
    http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/Spektrum+Satellite

Any reason for using a satellite receiver rather than the main receiver?

Andy.

10. Joe Azzarelli

Hey Josh
    Sorry to hear you are still having problems. We will figure it out - I promise. ;)

I will look at my setup more closely tomorrow but my first guess is to ask what receiver you used to bind the satellite to the dx18. If you did not use the AR9020 receiver that comes with the dx18 (qq nice!) - then the satellite may not get programmed properly.

Also, are you using a genuine Spektrum satellite or an Orange knockoff. What is the model # on your sat?

I will let you know if I come up with more.

Joe

11. Joe Azzarelli

Andy

I am using the satellites only as well, albeit with a diversity board in-between, and the MK board sees all 12 channels. So it is not really a satellite problem.

get some sleep..

Joe

12. Josh Wilson

Josh Wilson Member

Andy and Joe - I just woke up and found your messages. Thank you so much.

Joe, you may be onto something! I used an AR7010 receiver to bind my satellite. This might explain why there are only 7 channels. I never thought this would have been a limitation as I was unaware this type of programming went on inside at the moment of binding.

My DX18QQ came with a AR12120 (no AR9020). The AR12120 as 4 satellites connected. Can I use this receiver to rebind are do you recommend a different one?

What diversity board are you using and how many satellites are on your ship? I have wanted this setup for a while as I am only using one satellite.

Wow, I'm am excited to finally determine the solution to this problem. Looks like we are close now.

-Josh

13. Joe Azzarelli

The AR12120 will be perfect. Go ahead and rebind all of the satellites. I am sure that will solve your problem.

Regarding something Andy said.. I actually do not know how to connect the receiver to the FC - but if someone at Quadrocopter can explain it then you can use the receiver and a couple satellites for your diversity setup.

I am using this diversity board and it works fine but is somewhat a pain because you have to bind it with the satellites all connected and there are 4 bind modes that it cycles through so it can take a few tries to get it bound properly.

I have two satellites - kind of a "one in front and and one in back" theory that at least one of them will not be blocked by the camera/gimbal.

good luck!
    Joe

14. Josh Wilson

Josh Wilson Member

Thank you Joe. I will give it a try and let you know what I find out.

15. Josh Wilson

Josh Wilson Member

Andy and Joe - I used the AR10000 (10-channel Rx) to initially re-bind the same satellite I had been using that only showed 7 channels. And sure enough, 10 channels are now visible and working in MK Tools! Thanks again for your help on this.

Andy - are you using a main receiver? How do you have it connected because I just know of using a satellite connected to the MK flight controller.

I may look into that diversity board but I have to say that the one satellite has been working great for me for over a year. Sometimes it's better not to fix something if it is not broken. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Josh:
    Glad you found out the answer (for me too!)

Nope. I was just using the satellite. I converted over to Futaba when I added Radians to gimbal. Not sure I needed to, but I did! :)

Andy.

17. Joe Azzarelli

Josh
    For what it is worth...
    The diversity board blinks depending on which satellite it is using it does not 'integrate' the signals but switches to a different satellite if the signal is lost for some reason. So it blinks once for the first, twice for the second, etc. I have had it depart blinking once and come back blinking twice. That should tell you something.

Joe

18. Josh Wilson

Josh Wilson Member

Thanks for the additional info in case I purchase that diversity controller. Random fact, I'm flying out of Milwaukee today to Fort Myers for a few days. It looks like I won't be far from you.

-Josh

19. Joe Azzarelli

Not far at all as I will be in Clearwater for awhile. Bringing the copter?

20. Josh Wilson

Josh Wilson Member

I did not bring it along. On vacation with my wife - visiting family. Sunsets are beautiful here!