/dist/images/branding/favicon

What setups are you using on your heavy lifters?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gustav Raberg, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

I'm about to rebuild my standard MK 4s cs8 360 to a HL. What are u guys using?
    I have a few ways to go.
    - Hercules III, 550 booms 15/16" props KW10 motors or tiger 3515 and stay with my MK FC, 6s
    - same as above but change to wookong.
    - wookong and 60amps esc 550 booms 15/16" props 6s
    And I will wait for the symaps to be released and see what that has to offer.

Any other suggestions?

My pilot tx is a mx20 (with the nice woman telling me when it's time to land).

Hoping for some great suggestions.

G

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

If I had to do it again... I wouldn't have used a I2C converter. Took forever to get it flying the way it is now but it's not the best setup. Wait till the Synaps is released then go from there.

Josh

3. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Yeah i hear you josh. I've read your HL thread. You need the I2C converter for MK and Hercules right!?

4. Josh Lambeth

No. If you are using the herc boards then it runs on the same I2C interface that the MK BLs run. If you want to use aftermarket ESCs such as the Castle ICE series then you need the I2C-PWM converter.

Josh

5. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Thats good news! Ill be able to start of with the hercules and might switch to the synapse later. So what motors is people using for there HL? Props? Xoar 15"/16"? Booms 500/550mm? 5s/6s?

6. Josh Lambeth

7. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

If you need something now, and don't need GPS functions, I would go for the hoverfly and castle esc's with 400kv motors (tiger or KW) on 6s. I have been flying this for 8 months and it comes down cold and flies great.

8. Gary Kaplan

Gary Kaplan New Member

If you are looking for the best stuff out there that will provide maximum torque to turn large diameter and high pitch props (to get lifting power as well as speed) while at the same time having massive headroom that keeps them cool and you just cannot afford to have a motor failure, then these motors are all you will ever need. Of course nothing good comes free. They are spendy, but well worth it when you coinsider the investment you have in the platform.

http://www.neumotors.com/site/Welcome.html

Gary

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary not sure that the neumotors are of a type that is applicable for multirotor use. Take a look at www.rctigermotor.com (MT series or Navigator series) or http://www.modelmotors.cz/ (axi 2814) to get an idea of motors used on multi copters.

10. Gary Kaplan

Gary Kaplan New Member

A tiny little 28mm 400Kv motor?! Really? Oh Gary, you have no idea who you let in here when you accepted my account. :p I don't think you can imagine what I am going to do with my HL (once I get it of course).

Your comment, "to get an idea of motors used on multi copters", to use an anology, makes me think of a bunch of Brits driving MG's inviting their Italian friend to join them on Sunday for a nice drive in the country, and the Italian shows up in a convertible Ferrari. Now, I am not Italian, but if I had a Ferrari I would think it would make the perfect car for a Sunday drive. Even if you never get out of second gear what a sweet sound the engine would make with the top down!!

I am not here by mistake. I think that the CineStar is the best built multi-rotor chassis in the market. I have PLANS for mine (once you guys start kickin' them out off the assembly line). Our club recently had a multi-rotor Heli fun fly at our field. I saw multi's doing loops, rolls and going over 75MPH! If the competitions platform can do it, and they certainly did, don't you think the CS can do it better? I do. Seeing those things fly got me all excited on the idea of a fast multi. My slowest plane does 115MPH. :D

I plan on having the biggest and baddest multi in the club! I am not messin around. I've heard it before... "you can't get that crappy little $75 hobbyking plane to do more than 80~90MPH. It'll fly apart in the first turn". That little plane earned me my nickname my friend. We clocked it screaming past the pilot area at 126MPH! It flies with a 2150Kv 28mm inrunner (from a EDF jet) on a Nano-tech 6S 2250 65C/130C LiPo spinning a 5x5 APC prop at just over 30,000RPM, sucking down 85A and 1875W! It banks and yanks just fine. Its the little red & white one at the bottom of my avatar picture. Sounds like you're swinging a cat by the tail in circles over your head! Makes the old guys crap their pants when it flies. They all call out "landing!" as I taxi out onto the runway.

Take off the gimble and the Neu motors I have planned for my HL are gonna make mine hit at least 80MPH, then slow down for some tall loops and rolls. I guarantee.

The motors that you guys are using are just standard low amp/W outrunners spinning a big slow-fly prop with hardly any pitch. A motor is a motor. you just turn the dials up to 11. I am sure that if the aluminum chassis' I saw going 75MPH can handle it then your carbon fiber frames certainly can. No? That's how I got all jazzed about multi's. I thought they were all just lumbering turds and a 700 3D Heli with a gimble on it would run circles around it. Was I ever wrong. Okay, so it won't be able to do tick-tocks. So what. I don't want it to or need it to. Fast is good enough for me.

A 36mm Neu outrunner (airplane motor) on 6S capable of 1700W each spinning a APC 11x7 electric prop is gonna make one hell of noise and it's gonna haul ass! When you need to lift a camera you just change the prop to a 14~15" and you've got a semi truck lifting a grocery bag. Massive headroom that won't break a sweat. Gotta think outside the box of what a multi is.

You just invited the Ferrari driver to the MG club!

Cheers,
    "Scary" Gary K.

11. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

It's not the size or speed of the multi... its the footage it takes;)

Kristian C and Brandon Loeser like this.
  12. Chakradhar Raju

What about Pletty orbit motors....they too are very good...

13. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Pletty's are probably at the top of the motor hierarchy with prices to match.

14. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Josh do you still feel this way? When you say its not the best setup can you elaborate? Did you end up switching to the Free fly motor control set? Are you still running the same tiger motors?

I gotta do something about decreasing my motor temps as I can't hover at all in the summer heat and I really need to do that as I take a lot of stills of properties and it takes me a a decent amount of setup time to frame correctly etc.