/dist/images/branding/favicon

how to connect radian freefly?

Discussion in '2 Axis Gimbal' started by Chris Barneix, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Chris Barneix

Chris Barneix New Member

Hello, I have seen in all freefly documents, the connection of Freefly radian is as follows:
    radio receiver - Pan - roll - tilt
    My octo, I'll install only two freebly radian.
    I use a Graupner receiver GR12 in ppm mode.
    Can you tell me about the connection and what pin 1-6 I have to connect (for each radian freefly)?
    For information I use AV200 and servos SAVOX
    Merci.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Kittu welcome to the forum. Would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/.

For the hookup do it to the same connectors as the one you see for Pan/Roll/Tilt. The first in the daisy change on your 2 axis would be the roll which connects like the PAN. Second on yours would be tilt which connects like the Roll in a 3 axis. You tell each Radian what it is supposed to do when you program them.

3. Chris Barneix

Chris Barneix New Member

Hello Gary, ok I'll change my username, so just for information I live in France, in the south west of France, in the Basque Country. My first name is Christophe and it said Kittu in Basque. That's why my username was Kittu. We are a bit chauvinistic ... lol

4. Gary Lovelock

Gary Lovelock New Member

Hi Gary,
    I am new to all this and was recommend your Radian system for use with a AV200 and my FC is the new A2. I know you have a very good video showing the connection with the different radio's but my questions is do I use the FC to supply power or is it better to use and independent power supply. Also if I do this do I have to cut the red wire when connecting to the FC? I keep hearing about BEC but I don't really know if I need one? I am using a FUTABA 14SG radio with the built in A2 receiver. Thank you for any help you can give me before I start connecting everything ! Gary

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

When I was setting mine up, I made this diagram with some questions for the Quadrocopter guys. All of my questions/assumptions are true, so ignore all the question marks. Hope this is helpful! :)
    Graupner Radian Setup.jpg

6. Gary Lovelock

Gary Lovelock New Member

Thank you Steve. That is very helpful. So I guess the bec is the best solution. Do you have an independent battery for the gimbal or do you use the main power supply? Thanks. Gary :)

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I use a separate battery. Most folks do. A 1200 mAh 3S battery works nicely because its native 12V output can be split to drive your FPV transmitter and the 5V BEC. Use little JST connectors...they can handle the current just fine, and they’re easy to make and light weight. Get a crimper from Hansen Hobbies. Search the forum for their info. It’s invaluable to be able to make your own servo and JST cables!

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary I used a separate 3S battery and BEC to (Castle) to control the voltage. Others pull power from the main battery setup also using the BEC. Steve's drawing is spot on.

9. Gary Lovelock

Gary Lovelock New Member

Thank you both very much for your help. That is a great help. I will get down to it now !
    Best.
    Gary

10. Gary Lovelock

Gary Lovelock New Member

Hi, I have got to the stage of plugging my AV200 ( 2 axis ROLL and TILT) I have the idea following the manual but have a doubt on how to consider the built in receiver of the DJI A2. Is it a PWM receiver or SBUS? think PWM but not sure ! thanks.