/dist/images/branding/favicon

Keeping your batteries where they belong.

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Johnny Beavers, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Johnny Beavers

Johnny Beavers New Member

I learned a few lessons while testing a 5s lipo on my Cinestar 8 without telemetry...I'm not going to go into details, so let's just leave it at this: The velcro straps are great, but they may not keep your batteries where they belong upon sudden impact. :)

I wanted to share an inexpensive "just in case" type of precaution. Your local hardware store most likely stocks a product called 3M Dual Lock Fasteners. I placed 2 strips on my battery plate and 2 strips on each battery so that I can first lock the battery in place and then strap it in.

Trust me when I tell you that you don't want your batteries flying off of that plate and smashing into GPS & Navi, before going into the props and creating a real issue. Photos below.

photo copy.JPG

photo copy 2.JPG

photo copy 3.JPG

photo copy 4.JPG

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Great Tip! Everything ok with the copter???

3. Johnny Beavers

Yeah...it was a while back, but the copter was fine. Had to buy a new GPS, Navi, and deep 6 the lipo.

4. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Good tip.... but why do you have the rubber band around the lipo? ;)

5. Johnny Beavers

Ah, yes. The Power lead gets rubber banded down to the battery once the batteries dead so that we don't try to use a dead battery. There are shoots where I fly very quickly through 6 to 10 batteries, and I find it hard to decipher which batteries are fresh & which batteries are used.

Ziv Marom likes this.
  6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Good idea. I put just regular velcro on the tray and batteries. And two small tab on the side of the battery. When i bring the loose end of the strap over the top of the battery that ends goes against the small tab and then the remaining end goes over the top of the battery. Between the tray tabs and the tabs on the side of the batteries I don't thing mine are going to move. Minimal amount of weight for some extra safety.

7. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

I have found these 3M strips to be great in preventing lateral movement of the battery thus requiring only 1 Velcro strap to the batt in contact with the strips.
    The strips are very sticky on both sides but come off easy. When grime reduces the tackiness, just wash with soap and water - magically tacky again.

Posting from iPhone so here is a photo via URL.
    http://db.tt/H6Bxivr7

Johnny Beavers likes this.
  8. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

As I thought more about the 'sensational' flight terminations I have experienced/caused, there was less damage when the copter and the battery went their separate ways. Two thoughts about this: (1) If the frame hits the ground first and the brick does not dislodge, the frame needs to absorb the kinetic energy to bring the battery to a halt - which can result in shattered arms ( in my case ) or I can imagine the battery standoffs and frame damage if they are absorbing the energy in shear. (2) When the battery departs, it automatically shuts off the power to the motors if you have not done so already. ;-)

I use the 3M stick strips to prevent unwanted shifts in weight & balance.

To be clear, I am terribly impressed by how little damage has resulted from my mishaps - kudos to FreeFly!

Joe

9. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I 100% agree with this statement! We have had one miss-hap (had a DEANS fail on us 15ft off the ground... total loss of power with full camera gear on) and we only broke a leg, the tube that the camera plate is mounted to, and a pressure fitting for a motor mount... It handled it extremely well! Oh and our battery went it's separate way when it landed as well. ;)

Josh

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I just use the trick of sticking a Post-It on a charged battery. When I take the charged battery out of the battery storage container I take the Post-It off. Worst case scenario, the Post-It drops off and I might mistake a charged battery for a discharged battery.
    I also just write "S" (for Storage) on the Post-It or "C" (for Charged) on the Post-It.

If I'm being particularly anal, I might write the date when I charged/stored the battery just so I know. I'm in red wine therapy to avoid being so anal. ;)

Andy.