/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting To Heavy Lift CS8 - BUILD THREAD

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Josh Lambeth, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

And with that you get ONE QUAD! $1468 essentially for 4 speed controllers...but then you see test like the following and it makes you believe they are worth it. They do seem pretty robust! Embedding disabled.. See Video Here: Herkules III Short cut Tests

2. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Howard that 1468.93USD is for an Octo 2X Herc boards. The quad is cheaper.

3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Some of you are aware of all my issues I have been having with alt. hold and a few of you know about the random YAW issues that I was experiencing... I swapped out my converter last night for a new one and re-programed it to the 500mhz refresh along with the 1060us to 1860us start/end points and I think this is going to solve my problem. I haven't flown it yet (will be shortly) but from bench testing things seem to be running MUCH smoother then they did before. My motor start number in MK Tools was 34 before. Now it's 18 (14 was the start number on my old MK setup so it's really close). Also the throttle sounds much much smoother and it sounds like the motors are producing a lot more power. I think this was causing my yaw issues. I have gone back through and reviewed logs from my ESCs and they were showing that my hover power was around 75%. My TX throttle curve was set pretty high to get the copter to hover at 50% throttle on the TX. I also throttled the copter up a bit and then flipped my AH switch and the throttle stayed the same. It didn't go full throttle like it had in the past. I am excited to see how this works! I will let you know.

Josh

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh which change on the start/end points do you think drove the motor start number? That's a pretty big drop.

5. Josh Lambeth

No idea. I just did a test flight... No changes in actual flight characteristics... UGH! Ill just wait for the FF FC to get released.

Josh

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I reprogrammed mine to the 1060/1860 points and it does lower the min power. Won't be able to fly it due to the storm coming in. So I assume your sticks were still in about the same spot as before for hover? Could just be the combination of MK and I2C PWM converter. And I am suspecting maybe a bit of loss in the Castle Ice's. Wonder if it would be better with smaller versions of the ICE as I haven't gotten anywheres near 50amps. Highest has been something about 12.

7. Josh Lambeth

I too am wondering that.

Gary, what is your hover throttle according to MKTools and the ESCs?

Josh

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Josh

Before this change I was at about 135 or so. Remember I am running 4S and 700KV motors. About 54% on the throttle according to Graupner. That was a single battery, 7.1kg AUW. With Dual batteries about 63%, 7.9kg. The ESC's have been drawing about 6.5amps consistently.

9. Drew Roberts

Drew Roberts New Member

Hey! What flight times are you getting with the MKii and the one 5s 8000mah battery?

10. Johannes Thor

Johannes Thor Distributor

Hi,

I think we should care a bit for the right units used here. The correct ESC refresh rate is 500 Hz, that means 500 cycles per second. Not mHz (which would be milli-Hertz) nor MHz (which would be Megahertz). Sorry for beeing picky :)
    By the way, anyone else who changed the pulse start / end times ? Why could this be helpful ? Will it help for 6S as well ?

EDIT: Just tried the 1060-1860 start/end points on my 6S system. Actually it did NOT help at all, all I get is less power (which makes sense, the ESCs do not open fully with endpoint at 1860).

So far the AfroI2C works for me, sometimes a MT3515-15 motor fails to spin up though. This is true even with very high min gas values. I am using Maytechs MT60 ESCs with SimonK firmware. They barely get warm at any throttle value by the way.

Regards
    Johannes

11. Johannes Thor

Josh,

by the way if you are having such trouble with AH I would suggest using the MK Tools oszilloscope function and check whether the altitude sensor is drifting, and whether it reacts to changing air pressure (open and close a door for example). Maybe just a new pressure sensor could fix your prob...or just post your altitude parameters, maybe something is wrong there.

12. Josh Lambeth

I realized I had the wrong one in there. My bad. Lol

As for the AH issue I have check in MK tools and it is ok. I have also tried a different FC and it did the same thing. Both FCs AH worked when I was using the old setup with the MK BLs. It's some odd issue with the converter I think.

Josh

13. David Bone

David Bone New Member

Hi josh I have 2 different i2c converters I'm not using.
    I'm in Payson I'd happily let you borrow and test either or both...
    1st one is Afro i2c
    2nd one is the French flyboard i2c converter...
    Let me know if you want to get together...

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Josh good meeting you in Vegas. Watch out for the camera operators union. On AH I haven't had any issue. It's been rock solid so something else, maybe a setting in the MKTool?

15. Johannes Thor

Hi Josh,

interesting.. I just finished my bird with 500mm booms, MK stack and AFROI2C board. When flying with no or only half payload, AH is working ok. When I put full payload on it, AH just beeps with a constant tone and copter will slowly go up all the time. when I switch AH off, everything is ok. Copter is flying very stable and smooth, so this is the only prob to be fixed..

So that is basically what you observed. Somehow I doubt that this is the I2C converter causing the issue. What I think is that either vibrations or etxreme air turbulences near the pressure sensor are causing erratic sensor data. I am in contact with Holger buss to fix this prob. What I just did is to pack the pressure sensor in a second layer of foam, I will do a testflight today to see if it works. Next step will be softening the flight control board mount to get less vibrations on it.

By the way, try and set the "motor smoothing" parameter a few ticks (like 4). It helped a bit in my case.

EDIT: double packing the pressure sensor did not help..

Regards
    Johannes

16. Sean Carter

Sean Carter New Member

Hi
    Just wondering how you guys got around the problem of the boom and prop dropping into your camera frame when shooting wide angle say 20-25mm and traveling forward.
    I have the 3 axis gimbal and from tests with the 500mm boom I fear it will spend far too much time in my shot?

Any help really appreciated .;)

17. Johannes Thor

Well, there are some situations when the boom drops in. You just have to fly slower in this case.. you can also lower the cam by letting the gimbal tilt arms look down instead of up.

18. Sean Carter

Sean Carter New Member

Hi Thanks for the reply.
    When you say "you can also lower the cam by letting the gimbal tilt arms look down instead of up"
    Do you mean rotate the plate and top mount the camera underneath?
    Or am I missing your point ?

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I fly a 20mm on a full frame Nikon. Default tilt with a 2 axis is -5 degrees and usually don't see the front boom flying 500mm arms. With the 3 axis usually being lower 5 degree down might keep the boom out on most of the shots. Strong wind as Johannes says is a different story. Good reason to have a video feed so you can check framing.