/dist/images/branding/favicon

Weird Spektrum Calibration Issue

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Matt White, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Matt White

Matt White New Member

So this may or may not be related to 1.03, but since no one else has reported it I thought I'd start a new thread...

I updated the firmware on all three Radians to 1.03 today, they were still at 1.0 (I think), and I hadn't updated them since we bought them in August. We use a Spektrum dx6i as a camera op radio, with a satellite receiver attached to the pan Radian.

After updating to 1.03, I'm getting some really whacky values off of some of my channels, some of the channels are renumbered, and I'm not getting any values off of other channels. For instance, this is the channel monitor with a fresh profile on the dx6i, no trims, no subtrims, mixes, or anything else, all sticks centered and switches at default, connected with a satellite receiver:

103.JPG

Notice I get nothing on 5 or 6. Prior to the update I had my gear switch on 5, which was the mode switch, and aux on 6 for a camera trigger. Gear now showing up on 2 after the upgrade, throttle on 3, and nothing on 4. But even with max travel on the gear channel I can't get it above 0% in either position. 1 is the yaw slew, and should be centered, but I can't get it to 0% regardless of trim or subtrim. I get no movement at all from my aileron or nick channels in the monitor when I deflect the sticks on the radio, nor from my flap/aux switch. Basically with the radio set up as it is I would expect 1-4 to be centered in the above image, with 5 and 6 at -100% or so, with 7 and 8 centered since they have no values with the DX6i.

Gimbal is a cinestar 3-axis, all three radians are on 1.03 and worked fine prior to the upgrade, aside from some crashes and resets here and there, which is what prompted me to upgrade. I've tried isolating the pan unit and connecting it to only power and the satellite receiver with the same results. I re-flashed the pan unit three times. It failed the very first time I updated it, but I re-ran the update and it worked fine the next two times. I've tried two different satellite receivers and two radios (a DX6i and a DX5) and get identical results. I also tried connecting a regular receiver channel directly to the PWM input, and that works perfectly. Centered where it should be, etc. But of course I want to use the Spektrum module for wiring simplicity ;)

I spent like three hours staring at this and I just don't have any more ideas... Does any genius out there have any clue what I could try?

Thanks so much!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Matt can you reshoot the screen shot so that we can see configuration window? Also what are the model numbers of the receivers/satellites?

3. Matt White

Matt White New Member

Gary-

The sticker inside the receiver on one says 7224, the other says TA807B. The latter is the satellite from an AR 7000, I believe the former is from an AR6200.

Here's the screen that should hopefully be laid out a bit better... It's cramped, since it's on a netbook. Note that the channel monitor maps the channels on the radio as follows:

1. Yaw
    2. Gear
    3. Throttle
    4... No idea, I can't get a response from the channel monitor when I deflect all the other sticks and switches.

Also note that I overwrote my original gain settings, etc, with the factory defaults for the Pan module as noted in the thread on how to revert to factory settings... So what you see in the screen should pretty much be factory default.

default.JPG

Thanks!

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ok this is just a guess since I'm not a Spektrum guy but try clicking on the box that says DSM2-1024. It's possible one or both of the recv are in DSM2 mode.

5. Matt White

Matt White New Member

Thanks for the response!

I've never used 1024, as I always get basically no "Spektrum Valid" connection and no values in the input monitor, as I don't have the Spektrum DX-7se or DX-8. I tried it anyway, though, and got the same results as before, basically invalid data from the receiver. So no go there...

6. John Cunningham

Hey Matt,

Weird operation on Spektrum usually means it is DSM1024 and the box is not checked (or vice versa).

Are you sure you wrote the config to the Radian after checking the box for DSM1024 ?.

7. Matt White

Matt White New Member

John-

Yep, I definitely did... When 1024 was enabled I got basically no channel values, and the Spektrum Valid indicator never toggled on. So when 1024 was on it was like it couldn't get any data at all from the satellite. When it's not checked it's getting stable values from the satellite, they just don't seem to be at all correct.

I should note that the second satellite I tested with is the one that I normally have attached to the Flight-Ctrl Me 2.1 board on my Cinestar and it seems to work fine there...

I'm going to isolate one of the other units in the chain and see if I get the same behavior there, and report back...

Thanks!

8. Matt White

Matt White New Member

Sooo... After all that, I tried setting 1024 on the tilt unit (was doing it on Pan before) and it seemed to work immediately. So I must have been totally out to lunch earlier when I was trying 1024 because I could swear I specifically tried that and didn't get any results. But hey, it seems to work fine now (the tilt unit alone anyway), so I'm sure if I set the same on the pan unit it'll probably work fine. I'll get it all put back together tomorrow and post back to confirm that it's working.

Thanks, all!

9. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

10. Drew Roberts

Drew Roberts New Member