/dist/images/branding/favicon

GPS/Navi MK drift sideways when flying straight, CS8

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Fredrik Hansson 2, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Fredrik Hansson 2

Fredrik Hansson 2 New Member

Hi
    I fly the CS8. After and crash due to a cold soldered ESC im now back on my feet.

I fly the Mikrokopter kit.
    • Compass is calibrated (values compared with my phone compass and it match)
    • GPS pointing straight (on front boom)
    It fly really well in manual and alt hold mode. PH works well to. Then, when in PH i want to fly straight, in the direction of the boom and every time the craft fly about 15 degrees left of the initial line. Say I want fly straight north, it will fly 345 degree direction. Its instant and the front boom tnd to drift pointing about 5-10 degrees right. When pulling back it runs the same path back. So I end up where i started... What could be the problem?

Happy for any suggestion. Can the navi/GPS have been damages in the crash or have I set it up wrong?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Fredrik the Navi board, assuming that you have both the Navi and the GPS on the front boom, also has a 'front' though it is not indicated on the board. If you visualize the Navi board mounted over the top of the FC board and the cable attachements (10 pin and 6 pin ribbon cables) are aligned then that same orientation needs to be continued if you move it out on the boom. Usually the issue you describe is caused by the board being rotated 90 or 180 degrees.

If installed correctly both of the ribbon connections are on the left side of boom 1.

3. Fredrik Hansson 2

Thanks Gary but sad to say that the ribbon cables are both on the left side. Identical to the Flightctrl board.
    Other suggestions?

Attached Files:

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Fredrick, on the MX20, if that is what you are running, while in the standard MK screen, press the SET button for about a second and the screen will change. The botton line will show Mag: xx%. Let me know what you are seeing for a mag% value.

5. Fredrik Hansson 2

Hi.
    Cant test it outdor at the moment.. but 79% inside the building Im in now. Its low. My plan is to go to a soccerfeild tomorrow free from disturbance and monitor maglevel, recalibrate compass etc..

6. Fredrik Hansson 2

It worked... for a while..
    Its all random. Sometimes it works, sometimes, it goes sideways and most of the time the CS toiletbowls /warps back and forth when entering GPS mode. I have ordered new hardware, give up.
    Different locations, Compass calibrated.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Frederick when were you testing? The last couple of days have had K index ratings (KP is the index used to show possible solar activity that would interfere with GPS) in the range that would interfere with the GPS PH. Here's the snapshot. Time is in GMT/Zulu time. At level 4 and above you will usually have some degradation. Even level 3 can cause problems. Even when the MK says you have 10 sats that isn't really telling you the quality of those signals. You want a solid 3D fix. But if most of the sats are low to the horizon the quality may be low.

Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 7.59.08 AM.png

8. Fredrik Hansson 2

Test were made over a 5 day period. 18-22 of april.

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ok I looked at the KP archive and the values were 1 or less. When you get the outside test send over the Mag % value. Also what is the setting you have on the Navi-Ctrl tab for GPS Gain? I've found 85% works well. The default 100% wandered around to much.

Also forgot to mention, i see that you don't have the GPS shield on the GPS module. Installing that may help boost the reception for the GPS. Something to consider adding.

10. Fredrik Hansson 2

Problem with sideways flying on gps remains and I have done several things to avoid it
    Replaced NAVI and GPS with new boards. Gps now has a sheild also.
    Can it be the flight ctrl or power distr board?
    Attached files setup and a flightlog.
    Please advise what it can be.. Im out of options.

I have tried to attach the .mkp and log files but the forum won't accept it. Nor .rar. Please advise how to attach the files also.
    Fredrik

11. Fredrik Hansson 2

Image to describe the problem

Attached Files:

12. Fredrik Hansson 2

PDF seem to work so i have attached the log and setup as pdf. Sorry for the long log.

Attached Files:

13. Fredrik Hansson 2

I think the problem is solved.. I moved the navi and GPS to rear bom and moved the com cable away from ESC:s etc. Tata! It seem to work fine now. Fly like a dream in 8m/s (18mph) Finally!

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Glad you got it sorted out, Fredrik -- so you think it was just interference from the ESC's that was the problem?

Also, you should be able to upload .gpx files without any problem -- in the upload window there is a list of the file types that you can upload. GPX files as PDFs are a little hard to deal with -- you have reconstruct them as .gpx text files.

Thanks
    Andy.