/dist/images/branding/favicon

Gimbal Frame Twist

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by George Mosko, Apr 14, 2013.

1. George Mosko

George Mosko New Member

well we flew our fs100 for the first time today, it really showed up some flexibility in the gimbal. my first issue is i am using the 18-55 lens from sony which is long and is causing a lot of bounce. i am going to look for a smaller shorter prime tonight and see if that helps overall. next is the down tube that runs down to the roll axis pivot. the thin cf straps that hold the clamps together are not enough, and allow a ton of twist, in fact it literally takes no effort to get it to twist. i have tightened every single screw near its limit, and that only can help so much. i added the dual tilt bars, and have also lengthened the booms that run to the tilt axis. I am also using the longer downtube to accomodate the fs100 and allow me to tilt straight down. by making everything longer i have increased the stress at the different tube junctions. my solution would be to use a plate to tie all the boom clamps together from the leg clamps to the ones that hold the down tube. i would also do something similar at the bottom where the roll pivot is. i am pretty sure i can fix it, and have some 3mm dragonplate cf that i will use to make the reinforcements, i am also going to get some of the aluminum boom clamps for the high strain areas. i honestly think this is a weak point in the cs 3axis. another thing i am going to try is swap the o-rings out for sorbothane pads.

basically in a nutshell i plan on reinforcing the tube junctions using full 3mm carbon fiber plates instead of thin cf straps.

if anyone else has any suggestions i would love to hear.

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Try getting some fine (300 grit) sand paper. Cut them to the same width as the clamps and put them between. When you clamp down on it it won't move. You shouldn't have any of the twisting.

Josh

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

George if by twist you mean being able to get the roll cross tube to rotate in the clamps take a look at getting the metal tube clamps. if you get 4 of them, 2 for the center and one for each end of the roll cross bar that should eliminate the rotation that you are seeing.

4. George Mosko

George Mosko New Member

I'm Sorry, when i said twist i meant flex. but in a torsional way.

5. George Mosko

George Mosko New Member

sorry after re reading my post i noticed its a little disjointed. been a long day of testing in the sun. but basically by trying to accomodate an fs100 for full motion i had to use the longer down tube, and longer booms to the tilt axis, by making everything longer and adding a lot of weight, it has shown some of the junctions to be prone to flex.