/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sony CX-730 tilt balance issue

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Tuukka Ylonen, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi

I get the roll of Sony CX-730 balanced just fine (the camera stays at whatever angle I leave it at), but the tilt axis is still a problem. The camera always rolls back to level, which means cog is too low. Have raised the camera as high as possible so that I can still shoot directly downwards. Has anyone found a soluton to this?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Take a look at the dual adjustable tilt bars. They might give you the range of height that you need.

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

My PJ760 is very similar to yours and I noticed this problem as well. I think the bars would help for sure. What I found one my camera at least is that the roll adjustment and the tilt adjustment are very much connected and effect each others balance. There's a real fine line between the two. Until you get the adjustable tilt bars try moving your roll balance back just about 1/8" with the tubes rotating counter clock wise. I'm able to get the tilt balance good enough where it's balanced right at the standard position of the camera as well as a little up and a little down. Having both belts off at the same time helps and you can see how they interplay and balance as well.

4. Josh Conley

Josh Conley New Member

I don't believe the adjustable tilt bars will help you because they will not gt shorter then the stock provided tilt bars, only longer. My cx760 I used spacers under the mounting plate per a great thread on this forum that explains it (I will search for it). Also on my cx760 the cg point was not achievable without removing material from the mounting plate between the one horizontal and 3 vertical slots. The adjustable camera rail will allow to adjust the camera to any point forward and backward if your CG happens to land right where mine did in the dead zone of the stock mounting plate. https://www.quadrocopter.com/Adjustable-Camera-Rail_p_847.html

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I got the V1 adjustable tilt bars, and while they definitely fixed my issues with my 5D Mark III, the Sony CX still won't balance. I ordered the V2 tilt bars (with upper and lower adjustable) in the hopes that it'll shorten up just a bit. But if not, I will order longer M3 screws (45mm or so) and get some spacers to physically raise the camera in the saddle, so to speak. I don't want to do that because I'm worried that it'll compromise the stability, but I don't see any other way. It simply won't balance otherwise.

6. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

With the CX760 you need to raise the standard plate 15mm to get the tilt to balance. I recently changed to these and it works good also giving you maybe a bit more vibration isolation. maybe.

If you are having issues with the camera colliding with the back or top of the gimbal you will need a longer downtube. Longer tilt arms are helpful in getting the whole gimbal in balance.

If you need more details I can take some photos.
    Joe

7. Steve Maller

I'd love to see some photos of how you have it set up!
    Thanks.

8. Joe Azzarelli

9. Steve Maller

Thank you, Joe. I may just try that.
    Love the weed guard. :D

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I like the weed guard too -- I'm using 2 1/2" long, 2 1/2" diameter of solid pool noodle for the same purpose -- also reduces G-forces on the gimbal when I do an alleged "landing." ;)

Joe: Where did you find a good source for spirit level vials? I've been cruising the net, but haven't yet found a good source...
    Andy.

11. Josh Conley

Josh Conley New Member

12. Steve Maller

Josh, that's more like what I was thinking of. Thanks for the link!

13. Joe Azzarelli

Andy
    Don't hate me...
    Home Depot sells little tin gift boxes (to put gift cards in) that have these el cheapo spirit vials built into the lid. Pop them out and then use the tin to hold small parts. :)
    Joe

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Joe: Hey, I'm not proud....I'll happily hit up Home Depot.

Although I've found it best never to explain to anyone at Ace, Home Depot, Lowe's etc, what one is going to do with things one buys there....it provokes too many blank stares.

Like the time I went into Radio Shack to buy a replacement laser pointer that I needed for a wood-turning thickness gauge, and I said to the kid:

Me, showing him the dead one: "I need a laser pointer, but it has to be the same diameter as this one."

Long pause.

"What's a diameter?" he said.

"Never mind....I don't think you have what I need," I said.

Sigh.

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  15. Morgan Friedland

Thanks Joe. So just to be clear on the parts to make my CX760V balance on the tilt like better...

• Replace Stock 100mm down tube with longer 125mm down tube to lower the gimbal. (use one existing stock side tube for this to save $)
    • Replace both stock 125mm side tubes with longer 180mm side tubes.
    • Purchase the 15mm risers from QC or these from McMaster-Carr. (I chose the 8mm OD spacers)
    • Purchase landing gear extensions and fabricate weed-wackers with Makerbot.
    Take the Gimbal completely apart, fit with longer tubes and then reassemble and rebalance.
    Morgan

16. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Morgan

Take a look at the video I made just for this subject

Steve Maller likes this.