/dist/images/branding/favicon

On set tips and tricks

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Kristian C, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

I don't know if anyone's started a thread like this, but I thought I'd like to share a few tips and tricks I've learned from being on set with the CS8. I'd also like to know what others would like to share! Hopefully someone will find this useful.

1. I use an old comforter, and sometimes a tarp, with weights at the corners when on set of a dusty area such as the desert or dirt road to lift off and land the CS8. The comforter works well at "softening" the landing at times on un-even ground or slope. It also prevents excess dust from getting on the rig and lens when lifting off.

2. I bring a few cans of compressed air to blow the dust off the rig after a dusty shoot.

3. I use a Kestrel to assist in knowing the wind speed, along with looking at obvious signs like flags and the tops of trees.

MIke Magee likes this.
  2. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

In areas where the copter may attract a crowd I m going to start to use cones or markers so people specially kids dont get too close to the landing or taking off area, I find it very distracting, a potential lost of pilot concentration from people asking questions when you are focus on the flying craft and the worrying distraction that someone touch, trip, bump, or the potential freak accident, when people get too close to see the neat craft, also many flock to the grownd station and try to take a peak, not that I don't want to share with other what the flying thing is, but better to do it when the gear is secure and not critical stage.

I guess the Freefly boys are going to put all this to the limit test at NAB 2013

Kristian C likes this.
  3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good idea Jose. You might consider putting "hazard tape" between the cones.
    I'm thinking of writing up a single sheet tri-fold "brochure" that answers some of the basic questions and hand it to interested on-lookers, the better to inform them about UAs rather than allow me to be distracted by the "how high, how long, how does it fly?" questions that are perfectly appropriate for people to ask.

Andy.

4. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Andy, I seem to remember that QuadroCopter had one with the top 10 questions (you know them - we all get them every time) on the back.

As Parcap evolves, perhaps a stylish Parcap Tshirt in similar fashion would be a great thing to raise a little revenue and alot of awareness.

And, I think this is a great thread.
    -m

Kristian C likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah....QC (or more specifically, Adam) has a T-shirt with the top ten questions. But I was thinking more of something that could explain the technology as well as give a spectator something to take home, "Hey, you'll never guess what I saw today...."

We were discussing a T-shirt for PARCAP as part of the general rules of setting up an organization:

1. Think of a name.
    2. Design a logo.
    3. Get T-shirts.
    4. Figure out who not to let in.
    :
    :

:D

Andy.

6. Matt Aurisy

Matt Aurisy New Member

That crowd gathering around you is free promotion. Have a PA handy with some business cards.:)

Matt Wilmot likes this.
  7. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

As part of my permited commercial flights, I have notify houses in the proximity that I will be in the air in/around them. The flyer I am making will have the answers to many of the commonly asked questions.

I'm thinking of making a shirt with all the questions/answers on my back. It is a win/win. I don't have to answer the same question 100 times per day, and people will stay behind me to read the shirt!

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Duane:
    Check with QC : I think they already have some T-shirts with Q&A on them.

Andy.

9. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

From a recent shoot that required constant mobility, I used a 200w and 300w inverter. The 300w inverter worked great! I was able to charge an 8000mah battery at 4.3a. It even allowed me to use my soldering iron to repair a disconnection of a wire to a deans connector for the FPV receiver.

Cones are definitely a great idea!

Also, have at least one other person, aside from the camera operator, to call out for unforeseen hazards that come into the flying/landing area.

10. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

I was at a restaurant where the back of the T-shirts had only the answers to the questions everyone asked. Funny and interesting to decipher.

1. Freefly Cinestar
    2. Batteries
    3. About 12 minutes
    4. About $12,000
    5. Yes it is
    6. Yes it does
    7. Yes I have
    can anyone add to this?

11. Siim Jänes

Siim Jänes New Member

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You couldn't see it.
    You couldn't hear it.
    Only for recreation.
    Yes, that's why it says "Hasselblad" on the side.
    That was a good landing.
    I did that deliberately.
    Those are designed to break.
    That's never happened before.
    We don't call them drones.
    The media says you should be afraid.
    What do you mean, "privacy?"

NOTE: Given that this is publicly accessible and the Internet never forgets, these are examples of what we call "jokes." They are intended to be funny. No, they are not intended to be serious. Seriously.

Andy.