/dist/images/branding/favicon

what are the capabilities of the M10?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Joe Hell, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Joe Hell

Joe Hell Member

Hi
    I would like more information on what we can actually do with the m10 and which accessories will be available

So I understand you can play solo, duo or trio with this device,
    you can control pan and tilt with the movement of your hands (can you adjust the speed of this pan/tilt?)
    you can use it in car, in helicopter, handheld,etc.
    you can connect it to an octocopter (if you buy the extra parts? what costs for that?)
    you can add a wireless focus system like the redrock (another one in development from you?)
    you can plug your monitor on the top of the rig ( can you connect a light, a sound device and other accessories on the top or does it break the balance of the system?)
    Can you add another wireless follow focus system to control zoom or iris?
    Is it possible to connect and disconnect quickly the whole system to a tripod (to configure the balance, or if need to do a 10mn static shot followed by a quick movement)
    How long does it take to balance the camera?

What kind of accessories to you plan to add to the M10 (follow focus and joystick on the handles for a better one man job?)

Unfortunately I couldn't go to NAB so it's quite hard to understand the capabilities of this system without touching it.

Thanks

trist4n and Mark MacEwen like this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Joe:
    I'm afraid it will be a few days before we learn the details of the M10 or the MR.
    Right now we just don't have the information.

Sorry about that!
    Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Joe,

From what little I've cobbled together from videos, Vincent's blog posts, and other eyewitness accounts, I would say that the MōVI is just a gimbal. Follow focus, monitors, and other electronic pieces are going to be a la carte.

Vincent (or somebody) said that balancing a camera takes "about 5 minutes" (but that was Tabb, who clearly has secret powers).

As for the copter bits, that flavor of the gimbal comes with the landing gear and looks to be mostly the same as the current FF 3-axis gimbal. I would also guess that the basic stabilization features will "just work", but movements (pan and/or tilt) are going to be interesting. I'm hoping that these won't require the Synapse flight control system, but there may be some other "brain" required to actually move the thing in the air.

Anybody have an answer to that? What's required tp "fly" it?

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Joe I'll try to send answers to all of your questions tomorrow night after I crash someplace in the evening after 4 stunning days in the booth. Almost all of the answers are yes.

5. Joe Hell

Joe Hell Member

Thanks to you 3 for your answers,
    My finger is getting really itchy every-time it pass the checkout button for the deposit.
    I guess I will just have to wait a little bit... Have a good Show

6. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Hi
    I'm interested in many of the same questions as joe, but I'm also trying to work out the difference between buying the movi 10 or the movi mr, are they the same ? But the mr comes with a cinestar mount and the handles to turn it back into the movi 10 ? If so would I not be better purchasing the MR ?
    Also just wanted to confirm that, it is taking red epic, f55, c300 weight cameras
    Again my fingers are hovering over the checkout button !!

7. Joe Hell

Joe Hell Member

Hi, I would add few more questions,
    I saw it used for skiing, how does it handle bad weather? Can we use it under heavy rain?
    I'm located in Australia and many shoots are made on a beach, so sand might be an issue. Is it dustproof?
    I understand the 10pounds limitation for the m10 but i can see on the video there is a limitation of length and width as well, or is it adjustable?
    As it can be attached to a tripod and the head can be remote controlled, do you plan to have a time-lapse option for the remote control?

8. Johannes Thor

Johannes Thor Distributor

I also have a question: Will the MV10 come with a remote for a second operator, as Vincent Laforet mentioned in his blog ?

9. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Also will there be an upgrade path if you would want to turn the MV10 into the MV20 later down the line ?

10. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

What I find interesting is I played with my 3 axis with Radians about 6 months ago much in the same manner is the MOvi. I did some tests and it worked out quite nice. I brought it on set and we used it for a couple of shots. It was fairly stable not as stable as the MOvi but good enough that the shots were cut into the show.

Steve Maller likes this.
  11. David C. Didato

David C. Didato New Member

MŌVI pre-ordered!
    Third quarter seems like an eon now…

If its not too much trouble could you also answer these questions?

- Wondering what “Shot recorder” is, on the features list. Is it for recording pan/tilt moves?
    - Also what batts are powering the Epic? One batt for the whole rig, or separate swappable batts for the cam and rig?
    - Same price for M10 and MR, but the MR flies and can convert to handheld – what are the other differences?
    What does each have that the other does not?
    - Is the MR a ready-to-fly copter rig?
    - What kind of warranty is there, and will there be a service plan? How easy is it to service certain things yourself?
    - How much does a loaded up M10 with an Epic weigh?

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Folks: Gary's the one with the most detail on the publicly available information and he's currently en route driving back from Las Vegas to Colorado. I suspect he'll be reporting in on Saturday or shortly thereafter.

Andy.

13. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Waiting for the answers for pretty much all the same questions. Figured that it was Synapse based, which makes sense to me. I think Vincent kinda slipped in his live release that the joystick iris/aperture control is coming. The rest of the follow focus and monitor related gear I'd assume to be third party. Besides, there are so many choices of brands and styles, I wouldn't really want FF to decide for me what I have to use.

14. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

I would like to know what the cost is for the MoVi MR/M10 combo so one can do both air/ground shots. Will you offer an Epic power cable as an option?

15. Phil Macdonald

I am pretty much in the same boat as a lot of these guys as to the questions I am looking for answers too :) Firstly does anyone know when the pre-orders may stop? If I do go ahead I definitely want to utilise being part of the pre order group. My main questions surround the differences between the M10 and the MR versions and maybe some further explanation on the feature list that is displayed on the website, translation compensation and shakey cam i guess being the two mains ones seeing as they are only on the M10....I am also curious as to what the shot recorder does.

Someone mentioned above the possible upgrade path to an M20 in the future....personally I don't see this being possible but again, curious to see if it is.

Cheers,
    Phil

16. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Also just wanted to know if it looks likely that the new 4k black magic will fit on the movi 10 as well ?

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Mark yes the Black Magic will fit. You might need to buy a couple of longer cross tubes as the standard width may not allow the cables on the side to come out without interference.

For everyone I have compiled a list of all of the questions with answers from the forum and am just waiting to confirm with Tabb that I didn't misstate anything.

18. Fritz Mueller

Fritz Mueller New Member

Hi Gary,

I asked this question in another forum but perhaps better here. With practice and the right parts how long will it take to convert a M10 to a MR or a MR back to a M10? Is this a practical approach for a film on tight budget that wants capability of both M10 and MR gimbals?

Thanks.

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Fritz the conversion would be MR to M10. Haven't seen it done yet but personal opinion would be 5-10 minutes. Detach the gimbal from the copter. Perhaps remove the landing gear legs to get them out of the way. Attach the 'handle bars' and you should be done. Again, we didn't see this done at NAB but the process would make sense.

20. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Have you guys seeing this?

where they come from?

Bill

trist4n likes this.