/dist/images/branding/favicon

FreeFly HDMI | SD Converter

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Tabb Firchau, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

I have a problem some of you might be able to answer. I have the ff hdmi converter and use it with my gh2. My problem is I can't get any live feed without putting the camera into NTSC then I can't shot in 1080/25p only 1080/24p the camera is only shooting 1080/25p if its set to PAL but then I won't get live feed! Does the FF converter only accept NTSC input? It's only the output you can change with the jumper you get in the package!?

Help needed!

G

2. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

I heard somewhere that you have to use Manual focus and it should work...but I could be wrong.
    In autofocus it shuts live view off.....

Bill

3. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

I shoot everything in manual with manual focus so that's not it.

G

4. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Does this output to 1080 50i 25p 30p or 60i ?

Looking to run this into a switcher and all inputs need to be the same for example 1080 50i

Thanks
    Sam

5. Dave Hipkiss

Dave Hipkiss New Member

Hi all, I have a 5d mkii going through my FF HDMI converter.... Set up as suggested by Tabb above, apart from i DO have the jumper in circuit as I live in the PAL world.... It then feeds into my Mondo Xtreme. All I get from my monitor/yellow jacket pro is a black screen.

All the other components work fine when sending composite sd, go pro > Mondo > Yellow jacket.

The FF HDMI has a red LED lit and gets warm, however I've just checked the voltage of my "5v" Hobbywing BEC, it's actually putting out 5.3 volts, would this have damaged the FF HDMI unit?

Any help appreciated.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Dave:
    As this is quote a long thread I went back to see if I could find your original posting but, for some reason, searching doesn't reveal it -- so excuse me if I ask questions that you've already answered before.

Can you verify that the 5D Mk II is emitting value HDMI signals by substituting a monitor instead of the FF HDMI converter?

Also can you verify by using some other HDMI device and plugging that into the FF HDMI converter that the converter/TX/RX chain is working OK?

I really doubt that 5.3v will have toasted the HDMI converter.

Andy.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Dave:
    Do you by chance have anything else that emits HDMI video that you could use a proxy for the 5D Mk II -- just something that could inject a test HDMI signal into the FF HDMI converter?

The other thing you might try is to put the composite output from the FF HDMI converter into something that will show whether or not any video signal is coming out -- basically substituting for the Mondo Xtreme.

I'm just trying to suggest things that will help narrow it down to what's going into the FF HDMI converter and what's coming out....

Hope that helps narrow things down...
    Andy.

8. Dave Hipkiss

Dave Hipkiss New Member

Many thanks for your reply Andy and apologies for the confusion, that was a different David that made the original posting, I just quoted it as I'd just used that as my checklist!

I can borrow another HDMI source to check the input of the FF converter and yes good idea, I'll check the output of my 5d also. Might take me a day or two to track down what I need, but I'll let you know the results!

Loving the CS8 build DVD by the way, any others in the pipeline?

Best

Dave

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh! So that's why I couldn't find the original posting....thanks for the explanation.

Glad you're enjoying the Build DVD. Quadrocopter have the second in the series on MK Tool and there's a third just waiting for approval to go to replication on GPX files, MK_GPXTOOL, and Google Earth. That should be available by the end of April or early May.

Andy.

Dave Hipkiss likes this.
  10. Dave Hipkiss

Dave Hipkiss New Member

Hi Andy,

Tried the measures you suggested to no avail unfortunately, so I ordered a 2nd FF HDMI converter from Buzzflyer here in the uk. (companies here don't carry much stock so I thought I could always sell it on ebay if the original one worked, rather than realise I needed it as by then of course it'd be out of stock!)

I put the new FF convertor into the circuit (using the same ubec for power and wiring loom to my Mondo Xtreme) and bingo, it came up straight away with bars and resolution info, then crystal clear (for sd) from my 5d.

So it seems my original unit is dead... Expensive game this! I'll see if I can return it, although it's been sitting on my shelf for a couple of months.

Many thanks for your help Andy and please keep up the good work on the DVD front, I should have mentioned that I've gone down the DJI wookong route for my FC, but still found your DVD really useful on the build tips and tricks. Maybe we'll see some you building in the new Synapse FC when it's released?

Thanks again

Dave

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Dave:
    The good news is that you resolved the issue. The bad news is the the first HDMI is naffed! :(

Yeah, I'm currently pondering what the next DVD should be on....I think I'll take a short break and go fly! :)

Andy.

Dave Hipkiss likes this.
  12. Nigel Nixon

Nigel Nixon New Member

13. John Sciarrino

John Sciarrino New Member

OK, I am at a loss. I have read this whole thread to try and figure out what might be wrong but I still don't have a clue. Here is my setup:
    Sony Nex7
    FF HDMI Converter (powered by on board lipo stepped down to 5v)
    DJI 5.8 TX & RX
    1- 5" Monitor, 1- 22" Monitor

I get color bars on my monitor with the words No Signal
    I tried another monitor, same message.
    I Hooked the FF HDMI cable to another camera, Nikon D800, same thing
    I know the Nikon outputs HDMI no problem, I will get another cable to test if Nex & is outputting but I am pretty sure it is since I know the Nikon does and I get the same no signal from the Nikon the same as the Nex7.
    I have tried every setting on the Nex7 and still the same.
    I just received the HDMI converter from QC but it id looking more like it is the board.
    I will cycle through all the frequencies on the TX & RX again but I do not have much hope.

Can anyone suggest any other tests? Not too many people running the Nex 7 but I don't think the problem is there since the same thing happens with the Nikon. Damn, I was so looking forward to not having to use a second FPV camera for downlink video.
    Thanks

John

14. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

John it sounds like your HDMI has gone bad. I have and use the NEX7 and Nikon D800 with no problems.

15. John Sciarrino

Gone bad? DOA. I thought Quadrocopter had better quality control than this.
    Thanks

16. John Sciarrino

Gary, Do you fly the D800? What lens?

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

John just on the off chance you don't have a jumper on it setting it to PAL? Since you are getting the color bars that indicates that the board is not seeing the camera. Have you tried another cable between the camera and the board on the off chance you have a bad cable?

Flying the D800e with 20mm and 24mm. 20 is just a bit to wide. When accelerating hard not to get the boom in the shot without tilting th camera down about 12 degrees. 24 cleans that up pretty well. Partly an issue since I run a 2 axis. Three axis would put the camera lower to the boom and the 20 would probably be fine.

18. John Sciarrino

Hi Gary, The jumper is not in and I have not tried another cable, all the ones I have are regular HDMI. I will go to Best Buy and get a mini to mini cable and try that.

I eventually want to fly the D800 and was thinking of going with an 18MM but maybe a 20 or 24 will work better. Thanks for your help.
    John

19. Sean Haverstock

Hey Guys,

Seeing if I might be able to get a little help. Trying to get video from the NEX5r to my Foxtech with the HDMI convertor. With the GoPro 3 I am getting a great image. Photo attached.
    photo (14).JPG
    With the Nex and the convertor I am getting a black screen with no static. As soon as I unplug the Tx or change channels on the receiver I get static. So my assumption is that the signal is good but I am not getting a picture.

The convertor is being supplied +5v, the red light is solid and no jumper installed. I've tried powering the convertor with it's own battery, too.
    Setup is pictured.
    photo (13).JPG
    Am I missing a setting on the camera? Any suggestions.

I have not yet tried the HDMI out on the camera to a monitor by itself. Don't have the parts to at the house to do it.

20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

On the NEX7 on the setup there is a selection for HDMI Auto 1080i or 1080p. Try it in Auto. That's the only setting I see on mine that might be causing an issue from the camera side. If you don't have the 7 not sure where something similar might be.