/dist/images/branding/favicon

RADIAN SOFTWARE .problem on my pc

Discussion in 'Radian' started by kjetil tønnesen, Sep 21, 2012.

1. kjetil tønnesen

i have a friend that have buy 2 set of radian ans two usb connecters,one off them were not working ,when he plug in the second one it works

so maybe you have a broken usb

2. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Andy Where You at now? seeing You got a CX760 I am guessing u are stateside.. hows that for a bit of forensic figuring!;)

Richard, you need to install the driver. Follow Andys instructions.. Or my vague attempt at remembering where my mouse pointer went when Zaxis was installing mine.

Dave

3. Richard Dobson

Richard Dobson New Member

Checked usb connection on pc.
    Cable charges a pair of cordless headphones just fine. I do not have anything that would sync to this cable to test that it syncs though.

4. zaxis

zaxis New Member

<< You probably have the group of files and folders ( amd64/i386/Static/ftd2xx.h/ftdibus.cat/ftdibus.inf/ftdiport.vat/ftdiport.inf) in a folder somewhere. Find these and copy them. Goto your Downloads folder and create a folder called 'FTDI drivers' and paste the folders and files into it. You now have a copy of the drivers in a place you know exactly where.
    Connect the USB cable to the Radian, power up the Radian

Windows Start button - Computer - Right Click on Computer and select Properties - Select Device Manager
    You may or may not have a line within the list labelled Ports. If there is then click to the left of it to bring up the list of ports already active, if not just carry on. Now plug the USB into the PC , keep an eye on the Device Manager list. Something new should appear in the list, probably with a small warning triangle to the side of it. If not then the USB interface has not been detected and may mean a power problem or duff interface, lets hope not. Double click this and from the new window select Update Driver or similar. Then select Browse to find the driver. Navigate to Downloads folder and select the FTDI drivers folder. Click continue and driver will be installed. If the warning triangle remains, You may have to do this twice. The Device Manager list should then show a Port. Double click on this and select Advanced. From this page you can alter the CommPort number to 10, even if says its already in use.
    If you have got CommPort 10 the list then you can now try the Radian software ----- >>

All this worked for Dave so I hope will for you, good luck

andy

5. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Now if Zaxis (Andy) does not get at least 10 trophy points for this then Ill spit me dummy ;)

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

(Oops -- I posted this just as Zaxis/Andy posted his message.)

Richard: Have you unzipped the file you downloaded and installed the drivers into Windows. From what you describe above, you have only done the downloading part?

Andy.

7. Richard Dobson

Richard Dobson New Member

I found the solution.
    Thanks everyone for the help.

Ashamed to say it was the cable. It appears not all USB to micro USB are created equal. Although mine was passing power it wasn't passing data.
    Plugged in new cable, windows 7 found the driver on its own, changed com port to 10 in Device Manager opened Radian software clicked read then connect and I'm in.
    Now lets see how the rest goes.

Thanks again for all the help and hopefully it will help someone else down the road.

PS might want to think about including a cable with the Radian in the future.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm in Portland, Oregon, U.S.A., Dave.

Well done, Richard. It's such a pisser when it turns out to be just the cable, isn't it?

Andy.

9. zaxis

zaxis New Member

Richard ...
    Good to hear you cracked it.
    Lets hope that all the explanations of installing USB drivers will be a help to others in future.

andy

10. kjetil tønnesen

Hello
    Now i got mine to work

But i have a new problem
    I have the 3x gimble with roll and tilt radian
    And i use a mx20hott and a gr-16 reciver

My problem is a done get the mode to a 3point switch??
    When i click on inputmonitor and pull the ctrl 10 on the rigth on the radio nothing is moving
    How does i get the mode to work with one off my switch

Thanks

11. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

This is somewhat related I feel. when I plug in the USB my Win7 machine in device and printers shows it as a mouse.. FT232R USB UART to be exact with the icon of a mouse. I didnt think anything of it but sometimes when im using the software my cursor goes all over the place and wont click. If I remove the USB things usually go back to normal. Sometimes it requires are full restart. This happens almost every time I plug in the radians.

12. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Brad,
    Does this happen even if you plug it on another USB slot on the PC, or even if you plug it in a USB Hub?
    Please try that and see if the COM port changes.

13. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Com port stays the same on all USB slots

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Do you happen to have another PC on which you could try this -- it sounds like the USB driver chain has suffered Winrot if that UART is being recognized as a mouse. The FT232R USB UART is consistent with the FTDI Virtual COM Port drivers (as in FTDI actually make an FT232R USB UART chip (http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_FT232R.pdf) so that's their driver -- but a mouse it is not!

Edit: Also try uninstalling the FTDI VCP drivers and re-install.

Andy

15. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Just tried it on my desktop. Recognized as.. not a mouse. Ha Is there any way to change the category that it recognizes the ff usb on my laptop?

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. Good question. I've not done any Google searching on that one.
    I tried a Google search for:
    windows 7 showing wrong devices

This hit might be relevant:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...he-wrong/5ee90554-1c9c-4165-81e8-e4efe18ca818

Note sure about this one:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-7/8106a712-a13e-4ca5-b82e-c3961cc254b1
    which is basically saying uninstall/re-install.

There are quite a few other hits that might merit examination....I often find that Google's order of presentation means that the real solution shows up on page 3 or page 5 of the hits.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Andy.

17. Arthur Vieira

Brad,
    As you said that on the Desktop it doesn't get the error, it's probably an old driver conflicting with the Radian.
    As a quick and dirty try, you could change the Com Port by hand, change to something like COM5 or 6. I had some crazy effects on COM11 under a Windows 7 running inside a Virtual Machine in one MAC. I just changed it to COM6 and the problem went away.
    Good luck.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Were you using VMware, Arthur? I've not have any problems using COM11 under Win 7 under Boot Camp (so the machine's not virtualized), but I could certainly believe that VMware would introduce some problems.

Andy.

19. Arthur Vieira

Andy,
    Thanks for the feedback. Actually I had this problem only when it was at COM11, from 10 to below all worked fine, and yes a totally agree VM will introduce some bugs, but so far so good :)
    I'm using Windows 7 64 virtualized under VmWare Fusion for the Radian, MK-Tools and the ArduPilot interface. All working perfectly with MK-Usb, ZigBee and the 3DR radios, for config and telemetry. I got to say I'm impressed, some years ago this was impossible.

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, virtualization improved with leaps and bounds once Intel got serious about providing the necessary extensions in the CPUs.
    Glad to know that VMware Fusion is working for you. I presume you're on version 5?

Andy.