/dist/images/branding/favicon

Buying a Cinestar

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Julien Brault-Chénier, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Julien Brault-Chénier

I am planning to buy a CineStar 8 but I need your advise first. I have a couple of questions (Sorry for my english, I am doing my best)

- I will buy the DJI Phantom to practice and learn to fly. I know that it comes with a radio, but should I buy the mx-20 to learn how it works? ** And does the Mc-32 worth to buy, What do I get for twice the price? **

- What are the best goggles for FPV ? FatShark Dominator ?

- How does the insurance works?

- I heard that we will need a commercial pilot licence with a "Drone" add on in the future. I didn't find a lot of information about this, can someone tell me more?

How expensive will it be to get it ? // I am colorblind ( light Deutan ) , will I still be able to get it ?

- Should I wait before buying? are they going to put a new generation of the CineStar soon?

Thank You some much in advance!

Julien

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the the forum, Julien.

- I will buy the DJI Phantom to practice and learn to fly. I know that it comes with a radio, but should I buy the mx-20 to learn how it works? ** And does the Mc-32 worth to buy, What do I get for twice the price? **

The MX-20 is an excellent radio to use with the Mikrokopter ("MK") boards because the MX-20 supports the MK telemetry.
    I'm not sure whether you will be using a 2-Axis gimbal for a single pilot/camera operator or a 3-Axis for a dual operator setup, but the MX-20 is great choice for the pilot's Transmitter. It has 12 channels, so you can control the aircraft and other things on the aircraft (for example I use two FPV cameras and an RC channel to select which one).

The MC-32 is also an excellent choice. What you get for the extra price is a built-in loudspeaker (which is really useful so you can hear the telemetry items being spoken so you don't have to look down. I confess the only item I need spoken is the battery voltage.

If you wear eyeglasses, then give serious consideration to the Zeiss Cinemizer OLED. Otherwise, the Fatsharks seem to have a good reputation. Gary Haynes (one of the other moderators) uses FatSharks -- I use the Cinemizer. See my review here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/downlink-antennas.35/page-4#post-6694 Message #66

That's a loaded question. Are you in the USA?
    If so, are you planning to fly recreationally? If so, the Academy of Model Aeronautics (modelaircraft.org) has a good coverage for its members. Otherwise, I'm afraid I have not found a good vendor for insurance.

You need to get two types of coverage:
    1. General Liability for any property damage or injury you caused.
    2. So-called "Inland Marine" coverage that covers the aircraft.

Of course, you also need to get insurance for the camera gear.

Again, which country are you in? The answer varies.

I'm not sure I can answer that. But remember the old saying about a boat: It's a hole in the water into which your pour money.
    Well, an aircraft is pretty much the same thing except it's a hole in the air. :)

No. :)

The reason for saying no is that it is like a fairground carousel. When do you get on? As soon as you want to start enjoying the ride!
    The technology is going to be changing rapidly for the next few years -- then the rate of change will probably slow down.
    However, if you wait before buying, you'll always be in the same situation -- there will always be a new version of something coming out soon! :)

The above are just my opinions. I am often wrong. But I usually have a valid reason for being wrong. :)

Andy.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Julien looks like you are up north. So you find licensing information at http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/uav-faqs-for-canada. You should be able to get some guidance there.

With the evolution happening in this sport/business lots of changes/improvements/new things are always happening as Andy mentioned. As you do your research the choice of radio is pretty broad. If you stay with the MK stack then the Graupner line makes sense. Depending on your planned usage if you were need to haul a heavy camera load, like a Sony FS100/Red/Canon C500 or the like, then the MK stack may not be the best solution for you.

If you plan on running something like a GH2/Sony NEX7 or similar then any of the flight control systems would do the job on the CS.

The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) show is next week. There are usually a number of new announcements that are made at NAB. Freefly just posted a teaser video yesterday showing some new stuff.

The Phantom looks like fun. Good way to learn. Also get a copy of AeroSim so you can practice on the computer.

So welcome to the forums.

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Only found one FB user so assume if that is you then your are north of me in the US. :) And in a quick review, if in fact you are in Canada, I was unable to tell if they require a flight medical. Even if they do many times various type of color blindness are ok depending on the class of the medical required.

5. Julien Brault-Chénier

I live in Montreal, Quebec (Canada) but I may also travel with the cinestar but I don't know where yet.

Does anybody knows if there is a licence that I should get that can simplify getting aurorisation for flying here in Canada or in other countries.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Unfortunately reciprocity for UAV licenses hasn't happened. US has limited commercial operations (COA limited to gov't and educational institutions for the most part). EU has the BNUC-S which is good in all EU countries (at least I think it covers them all). Canada has their version and the list goes on and on. I started a Google Docs page with country information but so far only a couple of entries.

7. Julien Brault-Chénier

I don't understand that part. What do I need to work there?
    Can I have access to your Google Docs

Thank You!
    Julien

8. Julien Brault-Chénier

I am going to use the 3 axis for a dual operator setup with a Canon 5D mk2
    The Mx-20 or Mc-32 would be perfect for that?

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Julien

This is the License one HERE

There is a general Radian setting document HERE

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

In the US the FAA (same as Canadian CAR) does not allow commercial use of UAV's at this time. It has been a grey area for years since there is no direct regulation against them or controlling them. Rather there is a policy statement prohibiting UAV's in the National Airspace. THey are currently working on designing regulations for UAV usage. So while you can fly as a hobby, just as you can in Canada, as soon as you want to fly for hire you run afoul of the regs/policies. That's what PARCAP is all about, helping our industry help the legislators not make bad decisions on regulating UAV usage.

Bottom line, there is a lot going on but you have the internet to do lots of research to become knowledgable.

11. Julien Brault-Chénier

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Julien I think they are standard 4S. Freefly introduced their own brand of 9000ma batteries a couple of months ago. A 4S and 6S.

Pricing hasn't been released on the new stuff yet. Probably won't be until next week at NAB.

13. Matt Aurisy

Matt Aurisy New Member

One argument for waiting right now would be to get some more info on the new electronics from FF.

14. Julien Brault-Chénier

Should I buy the Movi MR? Technology change so fast. Am I going to get the same thing in 6 months for half the price?
    How much should I charge per day with a Cinestar HL + Movie Mr + 5D Mk2? (Including the cost of the pilot)
    Thanks

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Julien: I've sent you an invitation to join a "Conversation" regarding your question.

Andy.

16. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

For training, I would suggest Walkera Lady Bird. No need for DJI phantom.

You won't be able to get Movi MR until August or September. If you're lucky, it will be July. You should keep this in mind if you're in hurry.