/dist/images/branding/favicon

SmartOSD Font

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Josh Conley, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Josh Conley

Josh Conley New Member

Can anyone tell me what fonts go in what order as it seems to make. I want to see this magic helicopter Andy mentions.
    Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 7.51.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 7.48.23 PM.png

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh I don't have it handy but the SmartOSD manual or site has the list in the order they need to be installed. And yes there is a specific order.

3. Josh Conley

Josh Conley New Member

Thanks Gary,

The manual reads:

"Smart OSD may use specially prepared fonts. Currently, for correct operation is
    required to upload three files.
    The first file is the basic font OSD, it will be used for all the subtitles and text
    information.
    The second file is the font displayed on the Welcome screen.
    The third file contains icons for the MK status panels.
    Note: You can always change the last uploaded any font, without prejudice to earlier.
    By changing the second font must also upload the third. By changing the first font,
    you will need to upload the following two files."

These instructions are unclear to me as the file names to not match the written instructions. There are also six fonts. If anyone has a screen shot of the correct order it would be appreciated.

4. Sedric "Zellevision" Sari

I agree on that. Im also on hold here.. wanna update the fonts but dont get it, which file goes in what order...

5. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

From the MK Wiki http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-25700-30.html

by selecting file only in third box you will change (refresh) only third font file.
    Anyway if you want to upload all files then select :
    first row: system_font or primary_bold or vardena_font.osd
    second row: secondary_font
    third row : OSDsymbols or OSDsmallsymbols

7. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Hey guys can I ask where you are finding this manual? The only documentation I find is this one here http://www.smart-electronics.eu/downloads/short_manual_osd.pdf and its so outdated they don't even update the 10 pin header connection. I"m about to install this tonight and I don't understand the part about the fonts. Do you have to load fonts to see the screen or are you referring to changing the default fonts? If you need to load fonts where are they?

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

The fonts are on the smart site. Most of the information is posted on the MK wiki. That's where they discuss how to load the fonts. Unfortunately you will need to read through 33 pages of wiki and pick out what you need. Smart is basically 1.5 guys. Manuals, who needs stinking manuals.....

9. Dave King

My eyes are blurry. Just read the first 15 pages so far.

10. Dave King

Gary

I see you went through quite a bit of issues getting it to work on that forum. I see they are up to 2.32 now, what version are you on? I'd like to start with that version from the start.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave I stopped doing upgrades awhile ago. It did what I needed and haven't touched it since. Tried some of the upgrades and they were more trouble than they worth. Start with the latest. If it works you are good to go. Only caveat was I was never able to get the SmartOSD to consistently let me make changes to it via XBee. That might have gotten fixed. But with 4 screens it is easier to plug in the usb cable to make those changes. You only make them once in a blue moon. Also when you do the initial setup and layout have a monitor running. What you see on the screen isn't exactly what you will get through your goggles/LCD monitor.

12. Dave King

Well I got mine up and running and the first thing I did was upgrade to 2.32. I didn't have any problems with communication with the Xbee-MK tools and I didn't have any problems just using the stock fonts that come loaded. The only issue I had was actually trying to install the OSD manager via IE8. I just got a bunch of code, I switched over to firefox and it worked fine. I plan to use the USB cable for updating the OSD as needed which wont' be much. My picture was pure crap at first, even after setting it to NTSC. I had to do major tweaking of the pots on the board but it didn't start coming in until I started moving the different parts of the display around did it start syncing correctly. The spacing on the laptop work area is completely off from the actual display but it wasn't any big deal as I had both in front of me. Once I started moving the different functions around it came in decent. I have a little more chroma bleed than I did before but nothing that's not workable. I"m anxious to try it after work.

I haven't hooked up the cable to change the screens. Which switch do you guys have it assigned to? Do you use a momentary switch to toggle through the screens?

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

It is a momentary switch. Doesn't matter which one. But if you run it from the MK FC board you can only use a free channel.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave: The two pots interact a lot, so you'll find that need to spend a few minutes diddling with both of them to get rid of the chroma bleed.

I prefer to use a rotary control as it's faster to select the OSD display I want. I keep one with minimal data around the edges so that I can concentrate on the visual scene -- e.g. when I'm approaching what I need to shoot. By minimal, I mean altitude and battery, leaving the central part of the screen for the actual FPV video.

Andy.

15. Dave King

Thanks guys. I'll try it out and see what happens.