/dist/images/branding/favicon

FPV Crash... Lost Radio Signal Video Inside

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Josh Lambeth, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Was just planning on a nice morning flight. Not 100% sure why the radio dropped out. I was less the 1/4 mile away from my takeoff point. I think there was some interference also.

Broke two arms, one prop and cracked the board on ESC. I have a new TBS Discovery frame coming today and I just ordered some new Plush 30amp ESCs which I will be picking up locally today. I think it's time to get an EagleTree system with RTH.

BTW quad was a DJI 450, KK2 FC, TBS 30amp ESCs, TBS 750KV motors, APC 9x4.7 props, 1.2Ghz Vtx from the gopro, and Graupner HOTT GR-12 Receiver with MX20 Tx. I had a video downlink the entire flight right until it hit the ground.

Any thoughts, comments, ect. are welcome.

Here's a pic of the aftermath as well.
    [​IMG]

Josh

P.S. I need to set my fail-safe throttle a little higher next time. :rolleyes:

2. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

I know all to well what that feels like! Here's a before and after pic of my Naza F450.
    Signal loss and dropped like a stone from 120-ish feet. All I could do is stand there and laugh as she disappeared from sight!
    She's rebuilt, but I think I got ya beat on this one!

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      165.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      171.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Josh Lambeth

What radio were you using on yours? Im just really surprised I lost radio from under 1/4 mile away.

4. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

I use a Spektrum DX-8 for the Naza. I was only a few hundred yards away! For my crash I'm thinking power-line interference maybe?

5. David Bone

David Bone New Member

Hi Chris, Josh...
    I can help with the fail safe settings for your ar8000 rx Chris, I'm not so sure on yours though josh...
    Chris if you setup your radio and dji product you can go to the Tx tab on the assistant program look down at you GPS,ATTI,MANUAL selection bar highlight manual with your 3 position switch, on your TX go to servo highlight your channel assigned to your switch adjust the travel of the bar until you highlight fail safe turn put your throttle at mid stick turn off your radio insert bind plug and cycle power to you RX you should be in bind mode....BEFORE TURNING RADIO BACK ON... REMOVE BIND PLUG.... Hold down bind button on radio and perform normal bind if successful then go back to the radio channel assigned to the switch and re turn the slider from fail safe to manual and if this is successful you will be able to turn off your radio and the craft should enter into fail safe and either return to home and land or hover which ever you setup in autopilot tab...

I imagine there is a similar setup for your TX/RX system josh... My wife and I are in Payson AZ not to far from you if you need a hand I'd be happy to help...if I can :)

6. Josh Lambeth

Thanks. I do have fail safe enabled on my copter. The throttle was just set slightly low.

7. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks Dave!
    In addition, my motor cutoff is set to "Intelligent Mode". I wish there was a way I could bypass the motors shutting down while in ATTI (throttle below 10% for more than three seconds). Manual mode, the motors can only be stopped by executing CSC, and that's what I'd like to set in ATTI but don't see any workarounds. Any insight on this?
    Josh, any thoughts...or it just is what it is.

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Nice legs Chris where you get them ? 2.jpg

9. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks Jose.
    I made them...everything you need is at Lowe's or home Depot for about $20.00. 3 feet of 1/4" solid aluminum rod, heat shrink, 2 way tape, bumpers for the feet, zip ties....and a mini tube cutter to cut the aluminum.

10. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

What I like about them is the low wind resistance and siplicity vs mine IMG_1207.jpg