/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll Radian sets new datum on every start up

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Steve Gardiner, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Steve Gardiner

Steve Gardiner New Member

Not sure if this is by design or not but every time I start up my radians the roll unit will set its datum at whatever position the gimbal roll axis is currently at, rather than drive the roll axis to level as it was set up. the tilt unit always drives the tilt axis to the same position, not sure what is going on. Any ideas?

Cheers

Steve

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve when you power up what mode do you have the mode switch set to?

Just checked mine. If I start with the tilt and roll unlevel in Mode 0 (off) they just sit there. If I start with Mode 1 (Stablilized) when I power up it waits a minute until the Radians have booted up then goes to level on both axis.

Short video of what is happening and screen shots of the Radian software config screens for roll and tilt would help.

3. Steve Gardiner

Thanks Gary, I will check it out, I'm sure it starting up in mode 1 as it is actively stabilizing...just around a false datum unless I level the roll axis before starting. I'll get a better poke around tomorrow when I have some time.

4. Steve Gardiner

I should explain, I dont have the roll set up for switching modes or slew as I do the tilt unit (no free Rx channels).

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If it's any help, Steve, you can use the same Rx channel for all of the Radians. I suspect the roll is coming up in the "off" mode.

Andy.

6. Steve Gardiner

I think as long as it fires up in stabilized non slew mode, that should be fine for me, dont really have any need to slew the roll axis or disable the stabilization. I did check, (and I will get round to getting a screenshot) the mode it comes up in, and its stabilized with the slider in the middle of the scale. What I notice is that on start I get green flashing LED from both radians and then goes solid green, however I see an amber LED flash once on the roll radian jus before the green LED goes solid. Does this perhaps indicate that its firing up in non active mode? but surely it should drive to set datum once it reverts to stabilized mode.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The rapid flashing happens when the IMU's are calibrating. I'm not quite sure what the amber flash might mean before the green LED goes solid -- and, as you say, it should bring the gimbal in Fixed Stabilized mode. Did you connect up a mode control cable to the roll sensor just out of curiosity?

Andy.

8. Steve Gardiner

No Andy I haven't done that yet but I shall, really just had time to connect up to PC and check the mode status before going away for work for a few weeks. Get home this week so I focus in getting this sorted.

Thanks

Steve

9. Steve Gardiner

connected mode cable to roll unit, works as expected, disconnect mode and it still does as previously described, weird as the software shows the slider in the middle position (stabilized, no slew) which it does. Must need the mode input connected.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It sounds like it's picking up noise on the Mode input, doesn't it?
    But are you OK with the work-around of having the Mode connected?

Andy.

11. Steve Gardiner

Yeah, I guess if ever actually need to turn stablization off, may as well be switching off both tilt and roll. as I will be running a parallel mode lead from the same Rx output, this means that my roll unit will be in stabilized, slew mode, but with no slew cable connected....should be ok? I would rather just have it initialise properly in 'stab' though
    Have you heard of this problem before, or do you think I have an dodgy module?

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well, there's a good reason to be able to turn off all of the Radians -- and that's if, cough, you ever happen to land in a tree. AMHIK. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's a dodgy module -- it's hard to predict what certain inputs will do when you let the float. You really don't know what other electrical noise is around.

Andy.

13. Steve Gardiner

I plugged in a connector to the mode port not connected to anything, flashed it up and all was norma, roll axis drove to level....hmmm then just stood back and thought weird!.... and also.... why have I got a servo input when I have no slew requirement, It was just connected for power obviously. so switched the cable from port 1 (slew) to port 2 (mode) and it works fine. so now I can configure a switch for mode now if I want to..... cool.... and what a bloody idiot I am :rolleyes:.
    Thanks for you help Andy, Gary.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Aha -- so it was just getting power on Port 1 -- yup, that's a recipe for a floating input signal and the input signal wanking up and down in the breeze...

Andy.