/dist/images/branding/favicon

improving video quality

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Wolfgang Armin, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hey all,
    I´ve been thinking about improving video quality.
    Has anybody ever used tools like the nanoflash or atomos ninja? The nanoflash seems to be the better copter solution in regard to the weight.

I so much love the CX730 (760), but would like to get even better quality. Does it even output uncompressed video via HDMI?
    I heard the Nikons (D800 and D600) do, but going with Canon for years I have to wait for April for the new firmware release that will output uncompressed video on the 5DMkIII

Any other ideas?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Wolfgang:
    You raise a good question about the HDMI output for the Sony CX760/730. I rather doubt it's uncompressed HDMI, but we can hope. I spent a few minutes searching but not even the Sony web site specifications page mentions the topic beyond saying the camera has a mini-HDMI connector. You'd think they'd emphasizes pure HDMI if the camera could do it.

So I think waiting until April is the "best" option we have.
    Andy.

3. Wolfgang Armin

Andy,
    I´m thinking about renting a nanoflash and give it a try. I can then only compare the footage/screenshots, but it would be a start.
    Waiting for April still wouldn´t give us the same stable footage we get from the CX730/760 though, especially under windy conditions.

Regarding listed specifications: neither the FS100 nor the EX1 list uncompressed video out, but from what I know they do have the feature, that gives me some hope.

4. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Wolfgang. I have filmed a lot with the nano flash on an EX1 and EX3 when it first came out and due to it's unreliability we no longer use it so I would give the atomos ninja a try. We lost clips, had mechanical failures and had to replace several units over a year long period of filming. There are quite a few other recorders out there now so I would stay clear of it if you can.
    Katya

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh, wouldn't it be nice to have a good, solid, light-weight HDMI downlink so we didn't have to fly the recorder......
    i keep looking at this and wondering....

It's a grey, rainy day in Portland, Oregon -- so I need to dream..... :)

Andy.

6. Wolfgang Armin

Katya, thanks a lot for your feedback. Unfortunately I read a lot of negative things about the atomos. It's also heavier and it seems more difficult in regard to power supply. Too bad, THE solution just doesn't seem to be available yet.

Andy, that would be best, but looking at the signal of my iftrontech I'm not convinced that will be too reliable anytime soon, especially for longer distances, but dreaming is still OK ;-). The nanoflash doesn' weigh too much (I even thought about removing the aluminium cover), but if it's not reliable it doesn't make any sense.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, you're right Wolfgang. I guess we just have to wait for technology to catch up....The problem of course is that the manufacturers of this kind of technology are more likely to create products for ground based use. I don't think their first thought is “let's design this so someone can strap it on to a copter and haul it up into the sky.” :)

Andy

8. Wolfgang Armin

hahaha, that depends - Tabb??? ;-)

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

My hint was pretty subtle, wasn't it?

Andy.

10. Wolfgang Armin

"rather subtle hint" ;-)

11. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

The Sony HDMI out is PRE-compression. ;-)

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Not that I don't believe you, Joe, but can you tell me how you know? :)

Andy

13. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

So you know this commercial that was recently on TV where one guy says "I am 99.999% certain" and the other guy says "Hey, if you don't know, just say so!"
    This is something like that... Several years back I bought a Sony HDR-HC3 and a Black Magic Design Intensity card just so I could capture the uncompressed HD coming out of the Sony. See this archived post for the relevant discussion.

I suppose I am assuming that Sony has not crippled this feature in its latest high-end prosumer camcorder. Technically, it makes sense that they would not have the internal DSP crunching the signal unless you are recording and the hdmi out is live whether recording or paused. But I cannot find anything specific to the 760 to confirm.

Joe

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Joe:
    Yeah....I agree with you -- I would doubt that they have the compute power, but these days, given that they have a DSP power to record in 1080p60, it's hard to know.

I'll check with a local TV station -- maybe one of the engineers has some HDMI testy-thingy that can tell us what is coming of the HDMI hole in the side of the camera.

Andy.

15. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

Andy,

I've been using my Paralynx Arrow for HD wireless. I use it for my Red camera normally and it seems to be working great on the cinestar so far.
    http://www.paralinx.net/

Bob

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Bob. Looks good....although the "unbelievably affordable at $1199" is unbelievable. ;)

Too bad it's only 320 feet -- or do you find you can go further given that the transmitter is airborne?

Andy.

17. Pavlos Antoniou

Guys at the end its uncompressed or not... Is there a difference in quality if i put external recorder??

18. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Pavlos was this a reply to your other thread, posted here by mistake?

19. Pavlos Antoniou

Nop.. i am asking if i put an external recorder if i will see a difference..!