/dist/images/branding/favicon

Your Radian gains?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Brad Meier, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Jean-Luc Fornier

Jean-Luc Fornier New Member

same problem here, video is smooth with radian off and jittery with radian on. No slop, no mechanical play, no high frequency, only when radian is turned on is causing jitter. Tried gains between 60 and 140, no change.
    It's very annoying :(
    My CS gimbal has been very much modified from stock to eliminate all original stiffness and slop problems and was working very fine with another stabilization system.
    I gave FF Radian a try but no luck so far, it's worse with it turned on than turned off, I see most people here are experiencing the same exact problem.
    I will post a video later that shows I have the same jitter problem as others here...

Best,
    Jean-Luc

2. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi

Here is my first flight with Radians and Freefly 3 axis gimbal. The result is somewhat disappointing off course. Needs tweaking.

My copter is CS8 with WKM and it flies nicely. The weather was calm. My camera is Canon EOS 600D with the stock zoom lense.
    The camera is balanced to the gimbal to the best of my abilities.

Gains are:
    ROLL 100%
    PAN 100%
    TILT 120%

Any hints on tweaking the gains or something else I can get the image more stabile?

Thanks,
    Tuukka
    Finland

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Tukka, see the google doc with many folks settings. Might help with your starting points. HERE

4. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I cant tell if Vimeo is making your video jerky or if its the camera settings, that seems to be where most of the issues are. Are you running the 600D in full auto? The choppiness could be from a high shutter speed.

If the camera is well balanced you should be able to get higher roll and pan gains. Roll in the area of 140-150 and Pan 120 or so.

5. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Yes the shutter speed is 1/200 sec because it is easier to stabilise video afterwards because of the lack of motion blur. Not full auto but full manual. Video was shot in 30fps. Will check the google doc and try other (longer, 1/50 sec for example) shutter speeds.

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Maybe it's Vimeo or my internet then. 1/200 should be fine

7. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi

I also think 1/200 should be fine. Re-balanced the gimbal very carefully and adjusted gains a little. Used Carsten Poulsens settings as a reference because he has a similar camera - 550D - and he is happy with his stabilisation.

Gains are:
    ROLL 95
    TILT 90
    PAN 50

The result is still horrible. See linked video. Sorry for the blurriness. The picture is actually more stable with the stabilisation off as you can see from the video.

I have blue O-rings. Should I try red ones instead? That is the only thing I can think of that I could try. The gains cant be really badly off if Carsten is getting stabile footage with similar gains?

8. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Blue O-rings in cold temp with small camera like 550 D, maybe a little to stiff?