/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian 2 axis Tilt control help

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Don Capili, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Don Capili

Don Capili New Member

Hi Guys,

I am new owner of 2 axis cinestar gimbal and raidans. I would like to seek help on how to control the tilt axis with my aurora 9 sliders. I believe this is a pwm rx which entails much more difficult setup. I was able to control the roll axis having my aileron input on port 1 and mode control on port 2. I am trying to control the tilt axis by having connecting a channel to port 2 of the tilt axis, but it doesn't work

2. Don Capili

Don Capili New Member

Hi I think I managed to figure it out, What I did was follow the PWM wiring structure but since I am a one man show I did not give the tilt axis mode control. Nothing on the port 1. I think its own stabilized slew all the time is this the default?

Anyway how can I manage to point my camera directly down or parallel to the ground? It seems that the travel is limited I tried to adjust EPA but nothing happens

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

4. Don Capili

Don Capili New Member

Aircraft Type: Vulcan Hexa
    Gimbal Type: Cinestar radian 2 axis
    Radian Type ( 1, 2 , 3 axis)
    Gimbal Power source: 5v hk bec
    Gimbal Radio Type: Aurora 9
    Radian Communication Protocol (S.Bus, PPM, PWM, Spektrum) PWM i think

Connections: Change these to match your setup
    Roll Sensor:
    Port
    1. Channel 7 or my Rx this is for the 3 pt switch
    2. Input from my rx Aileron
    3. none
    4. none

Tilt Sensor:
    Port
    1. none
    2. Elevator from rx

What I want to achieve is for the tilt axis to point down make a 90 deg. Right now its just about at 20-25 deg.

All settings at default

Attached Files:

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Don when you hook up the Radian programmer card to the Tilt servo take a screen shot of the settings in the Radian Software. You need to assign a the RX channel you are using to the Skew value. Example if you are using a rotary know on the TX (Sorry not familiar with your TX) and the rotary is on channel 5 then assign a value of 5 on the tilt configuration. Tilt will only work when you are in Mode 2 (Mode 0 is standby, Mode 1 is basic stability, Mode 2 allows tilt and pan (if installed) to work with the TX controls).

6. Don Capili

Don Capili New Member

Hi Gary, I got it, its a pretty stupid mistake :). When you said to hook it up with the programmer, I noticed that the tilt radian was set to the roll axis. Once I changed everything worked as expected. Now its time for calibration. Thanks for the help

7. Don Capili

Don Capili New Member

@gary,

the tilt slew control is kind off new to me. It seems that it is not proportional to the stick position. To further explain. If I assign it to my elevator and I want it to point down, I would push it forward but when I return it to the center position the camera wont return to the middle position. This is correct right?

Is there an option to make it proportional to the stick control? thanks

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Don you are correct. It is not proportional. I can't find the post but somewhere here on the forum is a description of the reason. So with tilt forward/backward stick does the tilting but it needs to return to center to stop. Not hard if you use a Graupner TX since they have center spring loading mode for the sticks. Not sure about other transmitter types whether you can spring load both sticks.

9. Joel Marsh

Joel Marsh New Member

Is there a way to make the tilt stick proportional?

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Joel it isn't a stick issue. Depending on your transmitter configuration you may be able to apply an exponential curve to the stick.

11. Joel Marsh

Joel Marsh New Member

Thanks for the reply Gary, I'm using a spectrum DX6i, I could put expo on through the transmitter but I don't think that would solve my issue, so i may have asked the wrong question. I would like to use the elevator stick to control tilt and have it's position determine the angle of tilt, so the bottom position would be level with the horizon and the top 90 degrees down. make sense?

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Not sure that that will work. The Radians are not like a potentiometer based servo system. With pots the movement will stop when you stop moving the stick. With the Radians unless you are a center value of the stick it will continue to move. That's why there is the deadband setting so that the stick isn't overly sensitive.

You can adjust the max/min tilt angle but I don't think what you want to do will be possible.