/dist/images/branding/favicon

PARCAP - Professional Association of RC Pilots

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ryan J. Rowe, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

Thanks for the leg work. Im in!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Katya.
    Much appreciate the support from the other side of the pond.

Andy.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Much appreciated, Mike.

Andy.

4. Matt McCarthy

Matt McCarthy Member

In the Uk this issue has been given the term 'valuable consideration'. So if you take pictures/data/surveillance, from a UAS and recieve valuable consideration (Money) for doing so then you have to be licensed by the CAA, both making you professional and commercial.

5. Daniel Delaunay

Great to see that finally someone took this important step to lead the way and get the pilots united to fight for standard professional rules and a fair regulation by the government!
    Thanks a lot Andy!
    I'm not in the USA but since the civilian air regulations for airspace use here in Brazil are mostly based on the US laws, please count me in.
    I guess whatever happens there will reflect on the rest of world either.
    And good luck Andy, you are the spear tip! ;)

Ryan J. Rowe and Steve Maller like this.
  6. David N Atkisson

This is very important to myself as well count me in.

David

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, David. We'll be ready for you and any other charter members to join up within the next few days. Ryan's working on the web site to get it set up. Feel free to visit what we have now: parcap.org

Andy.

8. Marty Ferris

Marty Ferris New Member

Hi again,

Andy please count me in as a member.

In the Uk the Bnuc-s is comprised of a 2 part test. The first part is a 2 day ground school covering everything from airspace regulations, air law, and many other factors that limit UK Uav operations.

Also In between the ground school and flight examination an operations manual must be submitted for EACH aerial platform, covering everything from what components the aircraft is comprised of, and setting out what the operator intends to do with the machine
    including the necessary risk assessments.

The second part is a flight exam that makes sure that you are adhering to what you have stated you will be doing in the operations manual, and the Uav and pilots abilities, including demonstrating the RTH for the examiner.

Once completed the application is submitted to the CAA who issues permission to carry out aerial work.

Have a look here to see in more depth what is involved in gaining aerial permission: http://www.eurousc.com/mainwebsite.html

Hope this helps,

Marty

9. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I would like to thank Andy for the committment he's taking to do this. This is not an easy undertaking I appreciate it very much. I am new to the RC world but I have a side business for all types of AV services that will start to include professional services for aerial photography. I am trying to do everything correctly to be the safest pilot possible and I have learned so much from this forum ove the past 4 months. Please count me in and let me know if you need any help in any way.

Thanks

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Marty: Thanks for the information. I've been cruising the EuroUSC web site but thus far (and it might be my incompetence), I could not find the specifics of the ground school and flight examination -- is that something that's publicly available, please?

I would really like to understand these aspects as PARCAP will need to develop some materials of its own and (as I come from England) I treat the CAA with certain amount of respect and reason that what they have done will probably make sense in other parts of the world (even if, as happens in the USA, we fly on the other side of the sky... ;) )

So, are there any other materials you might be able to send me? (Send them to ajohnsonlaird@parcap.org please).

Dave: You're welcome. This is an emerging industry and we need to be motivated to prevent it being legislated inappropriately before it gets started....

Andy.

11. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

12. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Josh. Can you monitor those threads and continue the encouragement to monitor parcap.org.
    Go for any other forums you feel are appropriate too. diydrones.com?

Andy.

14. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

EXACTLY. I couldn't have said it better.
    Thanks Andy and all.
    -m

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks must be shared equally by Ryan and Gary. They're working as hard as I am. Well, I hope they are. I know I am.
    Hmmm.
    I wonder whether they really are working as hard as I am..... <evil grin>

Andy.

16. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

We need hats that say PARCAP. Golfers might think it's a magical hat. :D
    Thank You Andy, and others for doing this. I'm in.

I think it would be nice to come up with a set of guidelines and "rules" to start self-enforcing now if someone wants to be part of PARCAP.
    We all are probably pretty close anyway.

There are obvious ones, like don't fly at 1500' in JFK landing approach, but there are less obvious ones that warrant debate, like when is it OK to fly over a person(s), when is it not ok.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

We (Ryan and Gary) are working on the Guidelines as I write -- I'll be reviewing them as soon as finish the Oregon Senate Testimony for next week. It will be a magical cap both for golfers and birders (look up the definition of a parcap).

We need to walk a fine line as far as when it is safe to fly and not. The FAA, the AMA, and the UAVSI (I think?) have guidelines and we need to be careful to harmonize what we write with what they have written.

Andy.

Dave King and Steve Maller like this.
  18. Sean Haverstock

Hey Guys,

Way to spearhead this. I'm sure your aware of all that Patrick Egan has been doing/trying to do for your industry. They have an upcoming (July 25-26) business expo focusing on commercial use of SMALL unmanned systems ( susbexpo.com ) . Little guys (businesses) will not ignored. No DOD vendors or public agencies present. He might be worth contacting to see if you can get a booth at the expo to help grow membership. He talks about it quite thoroughly in his latest podacast, too.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Wasn't it Patrick who founded RCAPA.net? I've been trying to contact him via RCAPA, but no response for several weeks.

susbexpo.com looks interesting, but I suspect our primary concern needs to be dealing with State (and township!) legislation....

The expo looks more like a buyer/selling event, based on what I can see on the web site.

Andy.

20. Sean Haverstock

He has contact info on suasnews.com. Maybe see if it's different than what you used previously.