/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flying a Red Epic/Scarlet

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Rick Marcus, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

EPIC is just fine to work with if you have the right setup. The heavy lifter we are releasing flies it just fine for 12min flights. The reason I choose EPIC is the 5K is stunning and it is nice to have a camera that can keep up with any 'A' camera on set. Nice to not have to compromise image quality. Certainly a DSLR or GH2 cant hold a candle.

When you know your stuff has to cut with Alexa or other RED footage it is a bit nervewracking showing up with a GH2 ;)

Craig, stop by at NAB and you can see what we can do with the EPIC ;)

2. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

I donno man but 8 mins of flight time is plenty and it flies easily if you have the right setup. If you tried it with a stock Cinestar I can understand why you feel the way you do. That is not the correct tool for a camera this heavy.
    As far as why... I am surprised you ask as you have experience on production.
    So... You are hired to shoot some shots on a car commercial and the interior shots and ground coverage is on Epic in 5K with debayer to 2K or 1080 for delivery. Please don't tell me its going to look the same and you are going to get the job with a DSLR when they want at minimum 4k. This is not even beginning to talk about varispeed. Maybe the requirements will allow an FS-700 or similar, or maybe DSLR, maybe not. Something like a 1DC now might make some more sense but again its down to delivery format with many productions.

Either way the Red's fly wonderfully if you have experience and the right tools.

3. Brad McGiveron

hehe yes the explanation is the part of the behind the scenes that would be most entertaining:D

4. Craig Peterschmidt

Craig Peterschmidt New Member

Oh come on, up until a year ago you could't show up on set and fly a camera anywhere close to what "A" camera was. You guys talk like you've never done that?

The Red Epic is a much better camera technically than any DSLR, and if I'm shooting a commercial I would choose the Alexa first then the Red, but I think the new DSLR's do hold a candle.
    When can I fly the Alexa?;)

12 minute flights with the Red would be great Tabb.
    Are you building just the airframe? Who's electronics will run it?
    Will I be able to remote run any camera, handle an HD video downlink, handle wireless lens control?
    These are things needed to properly fly a camera like the red. It's not just about lifting the camera.
    I think what your doing us great but it needs to be more of a turnkey product. Not one part of many that I must buy and hope work together.
    This is in part why I have switched to the DJI S-800 with the Zenmuse for the time being, it all works and its from one manufacturer.
    I like your airframe. I don't like all the other things from other manufacturers I have to add and tweak and tweak and solder and so on.
    I own too much gear to spend the extra time needed on this one piece of gear.
    This is a business for me, not a hobby.
    Sorry if I come across negative, I really like this new multi-rotor craze and want it to succed.
    I'm just trying to communicate.
    Cheers, Craig

5. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Craig, I completely understand where you are coming from. In the near future you will be able to do everything you talk about with a turnkey package from Freefly. I have been flying it for the last 8 months and it is working great but we want it to be bulletproof before release as people put a lot of faith in our products and I don't take that lightly.

Of course we are aiming for more turnkey products as we evolve as a company, but to do this right requires a HUGE engineering effort. Flying an EPIC on a small multi rotor and checking all the boxes that everyone needs for professional filming is an ambitious project to say the least!

Swing by the booth at NAB and we can chat!

Tabb

Kristian C likes this.
  6. Craig Peterschmidt

Craig Peterschmidt New Member

Thanks Tabb,
    That's great to hear!
    And just what I needed to hear!

I will see you at NAB.

7. Brad McGiveron

ah well enjoy your S800:)

8. Matt Kearney

Matt Kearney Member

Hey guys, when flying the scarlet/epic are you all just rolling before takeoff or is there a way to remote roll yet?

Thanks

9. Brad McGiveron

I use the Redmote and it works well within a certain distance which mostly I find myself within.

10. Alexandre THOMAS

Alexandre THOMAS New Member

Hello, I flew the RED Scarlet + a 14mm canon lens yesterday with my Cinestar-8 + 3 axis radian stabilized cinestar gimbal.
    I find that there are lots of movements on the tilt axis. The RED seems a bit heavy for the gimbal. Moreover I can see that the roll and tilt pulleys are buckled. It would help to have the pulley in aluminium instead of plastic.
    Any advises to have the gimbal handling better such a heavy camera?
    Regarding the copter no problem to fly 3,5kg. The issue is really the gimbal...

11. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Alexandre,

Gimbal balance with this much weight would be crucial. If the tilt has movement it's gotta be either balance or gains settings. Also, you describe the roll and tilt pulleys being buckled? Can you post a photo so we can see what you are describing? The forces on the pulley itself shouldn't change with the camera weight so I suspect something else is going on there. That may also be causing your tilt stabilization issue.

Brad

12. Alexandre THOMAS

Alexandre THOMAS New Member

My Cinestar gimbal is not new, it has some hours. Therefore I find out that the pulleys are not plane anymore. If I loose the belts, some slack is coming. But with the belt tightened, the pulley are with too much strength for the plastic and with the time it is now deformed.
    I also have the old gold servo on the tilt. It might be one of the cause, isnt'it?

13. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

The servos are no different. Only the case changed. Actually I still have 2 gold servos on my gimbal. Still going strong with no issues.

Ive never heard of the pulleys being warped before. Have you considered ordering more from your dealer?

Brad

14. chris bragg

chris bragg New Member

hey guys im upgrading my cinestar 8 to lift a red epic im thinking in this configuration what comments would you have in this is it a good setup? what kind of batt should i use.

any help is appreciated

chris bragg
    costa rica

CineStar 8 Frame Set 550 mm Booms 1
    CineStar 8 TP CineStar 8 Top Plate 1
    IceLite 50 Castle Ice Lite 50 ESC 8
    DJI WooKong DJI WooKong Flight Control System 1
    DJI 5.8 DJI 5.8 FPV Downlink System 1
    DJI Data DJI Data Downlink 1
    DJI OSD DJI iOSD On Screen Display 1
    SmartDrone Motor Smart Drone HL Motor
    SmartDrove Vib. Smart Drone Motor Mount/Vibration Damener
    SmartDrone Prop Smart Drone P400CE CC
    SmartDrone PropC Smart Drone P400CE CW

15. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Have any information on those motors?

Josh

16. chris bragg

chris bragg New Member

Josh,

Thanks i dont have much all i have is what theysay in quadrocopter not sure if this info is what you are looking for

Thanks

Chris

Description
    The SD-M550G 4408 is an extremely powerful motor with a very high efficiency. It was especially developed for heavy lift multi-rotor applications and models. This motor works best with the SD-P400C propeller. The motors very low KV rating makes is a great solution for your CineStar-6.

This Brushless Motor is customized for the CineStar boom length and includes 62cm wires with male bullet connectors.

Technical Data:
    No load speed: 550KV
    Weight: 155g
    Diameter: 49mm
    Height: 23mm
    Shaft Diameter: 4mm
    Mount: 4x M3, 25x25mm

Recommend using Loctite 222MS Threadlocker.

17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris I would pose the question directly with Quadrocopter. The description is from their page. I'm unaware of anyone running those motors on the forum.

18. chris bragg

chris bragg New Member

thanks Gary,

they recomened the motors but i wanted to see if anyone had tried them if no one has what kind of motors and batterys could you guys recommend that would work with the system that im thinking to lift the epic, i dont want to invest in a system that noone has really flown for a while.

pura vida
    chris

19. Brad McGiveron

I would use what is tested and used by others before venturing out into the wild with reference to expensive cameras. Tigers or Axi have served me well and you are probably going to want around 400 kv for Epic. At least for me it is the sweet spot with 6s lipos, Reds and DJI.

I don't know either way about those motors so let us know if you go that way:)

20. Daniel Gowland

Daniel Gowland New Member

Any words of wisdom about using these Tiger motors for a heavy lift CS8...? They'll have a 40Amp ESC each and I am thinking a 6S power supply.
    Thanks Dan...

[​IMG]