/dist/images/branding/favicon

Please Avise: Cheapest Reliable Copter for RED Epic

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Lawes, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Chris Lawes

Chris Lawes New Member

Hi Everyone
    Would really appreciate your advise in this matter. We're shooting a small mostly volunteer film about social and spiritual evolution. I have an experienced Ukranian RC copter pilot/builder on my film team. We have a good working copter for Gopro use and need to build a copter for use with a Red Scarlet + Zeiss CP.2 prime lens + battery, roughly 10lbs.

We need something that is:
    - Heavy enough for a Scarlet/prime/battery ~10lbs
    - Has a 3-axis Gimbal
    - Cheap as possible, including remote control, recievers, etc.
    - Reliable enough parts to not randomly crap out and kill an $30k camera package

My Ukranian man is qualified and can build the copter from parts but I want to order a good tested configuration here in USA and have him build that knowing it works. Would you please point me towards the cheapest but reliable parts configuration package that will work for our need? Was looking at the CineStar 8 for instance, but I've been recommended the SkyJib instead..? Budget is unknown, shooting for under $6,000 not including the remote.

If you have any advice of what you finally did in the end or where you experience led you I would love to hear it, or maybe I can call you up and pick your brain for 5 minutes?

Thanks for your time!!
    -Chris

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Is that $6,000 US? Really? I'm sorry to say this, but you're way off base. In particular, you're going to pay about that much for a 3-axis gimbal itself if you want it properly stabilized, and then you'll have to buy a copter, too. Stabile footage is super critical, especially at HD or 4K with a Red. I think you have to go back to the drawing board here.

3. Chris Lawes

Chris Lawes New Member

Well okay fair enough. What are we looking at then? We're in the first stages of figuring this out, so a copter strong enough for a red with a three axis gimbal is what, $15k? What's a base package realistically going to run, not including a remote control?

4. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Chris
    Just hire someone on this forum who already has this system. Then you can stay within your budget or close...

Je

5. Chris Lawes

Chris Lawes New Member

We already have a good permenant pilot and camera operator, we need to buy a larger permenant rig. They are not so involved because they don't know much English and I am in charge of budget, but they are advising me as I go. SkyJib is what they are suggesting but I want more info on specifically what I should buy and stay in minimal budget..

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris where will this machine be based? You mentioned a Ukranian pilot so is this for primarily use in the EU?

7. Sergei Kozin

Sergei Kozin New Member

Hello, Chris.

Check PM.

8. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

To get some real numbers you might get a hold of Karsten or Adam at www.Quadrocopter.com. They are building heavy lift Cinestars that will do what you are asking.

Ryan

9. chris bragg

chris bragg New Member

hey guys, i hace a stock sinestar 8 3 axis gimbal i want to upgrade it to fly an epic any ideas in the best possible configuration for this?? it would be great to know since im ready to do the upgrade just not sure what is the best option.

thanks chris