/dist/images/branding/favicon

Motor Movement/Shaft Play?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Josh Lambeth, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

So im REALLY not happy with these brand new AND EXPENSIVE bearings from Boca... They are the correct size and match the old bearings. I just got all my props mounted and now I have 7 of my 8 motors with side to side play in them rather then 5. This explains why they were so loud earlier when I ran them up w/out props... HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN??? I was extremely careful to gently tap them out and to make sure they went back in correctly and to only touch the outside edges of the bearing and not to put any pressure on the inside section... I have a shoot tomorrow (with an EPIC) and wanted new bearings on the motors since I wasn't excited with how the old bearings were sounding.

I will be doing a test flight first thing in the AM to see how it does in the air but im really REALLY not happy about this.

Any ideas what the deal is???

josh

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh. When you put the new bearings into the 3515 what did you to seat them in the raceways.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Josh,

The tiger motors have really nice EZO bearings, it might be the boca's are not as nice?!

Is the play from the shaft not fitting tight in the inner race?

4. Josh Lambeth

Meaning how did I press them in? I used a socket with a diameter that was the same as the outside ring of the bearing. I watched a bunch of videos since there wasn't one of those nifty little bearing tools that the one guy makes.

josh

5. Josh Lambeth

Thats what I thought too but I had 5 motors that had the side to side shaft play and were making bad sounds when flying. Im still not sure how or why that happened either considering I haven't had any crashes, all the props are balanced, and I haven't flow in any dusty areas with these motors...

josh

6. Josh Lambeth

Oh and one motor has a slight up and down play to it... i've heard a little is ok.. is that true?

josh

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

The Bocas might sound different since you probably have the ceramic ones, not the steel like the EZO's. But there shouldn't be any play side to side. If you have the bell off of the motor can you see any play if you slide a bearing over end of the motor shaft? Almost sound like the inside diameter is something other than 5mm which I think is the size of the 3515 shaft.

8. Josh Lambeth

9. Josh Lambeth

Well I ended up going out and doing a quick test flight this morning with the copter fully loaded with weight to simulate the epic and it flew great without any odd noises... Not entirely sure what is going on but it sounds better in the air now then it did before...

As a side note, flew the copter for 9min on Dual 6000mAh 6s batteries with an additional 9 lbs of weight added to the copter. :D

josh

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That doesn't sound like the results I would expect from brand new bearings....
    Andy.

11. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I emailed Jan at Axi to ask what type of bearings they use..let's see if he'll share.

I would think any side to side play would eventually cause premature bearing wear, maybe even failure especially with the stresses we put on ours motors. I personally would be frustrated as hell and would feel quite uneasy. Are others experiencing these issues after a bearing swap?

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I've used the mid level bearings on my QC motors and didn't find anything different. Josh has the top of the line with the dust seals. Probably worth a call to Boca to discuss. Any further updates Josh? how did your Epic shoot turn out?

13. Josh Lambeth

Hey Guys,
    I will be calling Boca first thing on Monday. I am really not happy with how they are running. The EPIC shoot went ok (super stressful since it was the first time flying one... and it was at night... in Las Vegas (i had all the proper permits from hotels and city, along with calling the tower and letting them know what was going on)) but after the flights the motors seem to have more side to side play in them then they ever did before getting these bearings.

Josh

14. Pavlos Antoniou

i had the same problems.>! the shaft had some play and you could here the motor while turning the prop by hand..!

You can hear them ...!They had them for Abec 5 but they were not Abec 5 and they send me some EZO abec 5..!

From 16 Ezo abec (from boca) the 10 were ok the other six had problems again..!

The best bearings are the stock of T-Motor..

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Pablo's in your teaser I noticed as you were plugging in power that the black wire looked like it had the core exposed. Might be worth checking. Nice smooth vides.

16. Pavlos Antoniou

Thank you..! there is not problem its not cored exposed..!

17. Josh Lambeth

So i put a call into Boca and they won't do anything unless i either buy a whole new set then send back the old set for inspection... or just send the old set. They won't send me any replacements unless one of those two happens.

Josh

18. Pavlos Antoniou

Thats very bad... Go buy the stock.. These are great..

19. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Ya I am surprised because I have used them on other motors and had no issues. I have a 3515 batch coming so it will be interesting for sure. I will post what happens when I test one.

As far as the stock ones go... and I have gone thru a few sets, they go bad when using big weight err well they are good for a while but eventually start getting worse and worse. With lighter loads they are fine and last.
    I guess the design is stressed at 10+ kg which makes some sense. They are cheap however :)

20. Josh Lambeth

Brad I will be very curious how your set works out. Did you get the orange #7's?

Josh